Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KTown

Acutane Survival Kit

I am taking 60mg of Acutane a day, and am on my fifth and final month. I have learned quite a bit, so here is what I suggest for you!

Here is my "Acutane Survival Kit" List:

Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion

Cerave Moisturizing Lotion

Petroleum Jelly OR Ayr Saline Nasal Gel

Q-Tips

Anti-Biotic Ointment

Burts Bees Lip Balm

Dr. Dans Corti Balm (Extreme Chapped Lips)

What I do is this:

Before Bed: Apply Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion to Face, Ear Lobes, Neck, Shoulders, Arms, Forearms, and my Thighs. Then do the same with Cerave Moisturizing Lotion. the Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion is quite greasy, so I do that first, and then the Cerave Moisturizing Lotion so that some of the greasiness gets taken away with the cerave. I then use the Ayr Saline Nasal Gel, and apply it into the inside of each of my nostrils. This stops nosebleeds from occurring that night and throughout the following day. Now, this may sound odd, but I apply Anti-Biotic Ointment to my lips. This helps them to not dry out at all that night. Trust me, it will work.

Morning: Apply Cerave Moisturizing Lotion (I don't apply Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion in the morning because it is so greasy) to the same places I did the night before, and notice any dry patches. I will make a mental note to apply more lotion in those spots the next night.

During Day: I requested samples of Cerave Moisturizing Lotion from my dermatologist (The tiny little mini-bottles of lotion) and I keep one in my pocket, backpack, and glove compartment. Then, whenever I go to the bathroom, I can check and see if I have any dry spots, and apply the lotion. Also, whenever my lips start to feel dry, I just apply some of Burts Bees Lip Balm.

Extra Notes: Throughout your time taking acutane, you will have some "strange" things happen. For me, my forearms seemed to break out into a rash. This was because they where not properly moisturized. If this happens, do not panic. Just wash off your arms with cold water, and apply water. The cold water seemed to me to soothe the itching sensation, and then the lotion will help it to go away. It usually went away within 12-24 hours. Most of the tips and tricks I learned on my own, and you will probably have to improvise to. Good luck! My face is now completely clear of any blemish, and I am extremely happy that I took it.

Edited by KTown