Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yepican

Dry, Flakey Facial Skin...

O.k., so here's the deal. Been living with this condition for a long time now, over a year. My regimen since around February has been to wash my face with lukewarm water and a washcloth 1X a day @ night time before bed.

Interestingly enough, my acne has decreased slowly over time, but I think mostly because of internal reasons. I stopped taking a Vitamin A supplement, a Zinc supplement, and a Multivitamin supplement 13 months ago when I noticed the skin dryness and chapped lips. For the first 4 months thereafter I definetly noticed a distint decrease in dead skin on my face, as well as gradual decrease in the dryness of my lips, but since then the only thing that has decreased was a few acne spots here and there to the point now where I'm just about 100% clear. However, I still have to constantly battle with this dry, rough, flakey skin on my face. It has really crushed my confidence and frustrated me tremendously.

It doesn't itch at all, and by the pics below you can see their's not really redness which would represent rosacea. I'm absolutely dumbfounded. One theory I have all the Vitamin A I took over a 16 month span created a zinc deficiency. Although I was taking a zinc supplement to bind with the retinol, it was a cheap, brand and I have doubts that the zinc supplement I was taking even had sufficient amounts of zinc at all.

So, I guess my reason for writing this is simple. Can anyone else relate or offer suggestions? I looked up side effects of Accutane (which is basically the same compound as true vitamin a) and noticed kind of the same stories. Any comments would be apprecitated.

post-87018-1261887809_thumb.jpg

post-87018-1261887855_thumb.jpg

post-87018-1261887941_thumb.jpg

post-87018-1261887809_thumb.jpg

post-87018-1261887855_thumb.jpg

post-87018-1261887941_thumb.jpg

Hi-

I do see dry, flakey skin. Have you seen a Derm. to get an opinion?

You might want to try using a hydrating cleanser and/or a light moisteriser to give your skin hydration. Washing very lightly with a hydrating cleanser will remove dirt/debris but also remove the flakes without exacerbating your dryness. You need to get a little moisture into your skin. Also, not sure if it's cold/Winter in your area, but that can cause additional dryness. My skin is a little drier not that it's Winter where I live. You want to hydrate/repair your skin's barrier, but gently and with non comedogenic products as to not cause blemishes.

Good luck.

Yvette

I have something very similar to this. It's mostly frustrating 'cause if i go on a night out and i've had a shower, if someone grabs my face or something i'll get loads and loads of peeling/flakey bits and it 's highly noticable. Makes me not want to get to close to anyone - I only wash with water (have lukewarm water sprayed on my face via the shower). Another big problem for me is large pores on nose and it'll randomly get super irritated/red. It sucks 'cause away from this, my face is pretty much now clear from spots.

I urgently need something for it. Been going on far too long now and i can't keep ignoring it hoping it'll go away.

I have something very similar to this. It's mostly frustrating 'cause if i go on a night out and i've had a shower, if someone grabs my face or something i'll get loads and loads of peeling/flakey bits and it 's highly noticable. Makes me not want to get to close to anyone - I only wash with water (have lukewarm water sprayed on my face via the shower). Another big problem for me is large pores on nose and it'll randomly get super irritated/red. It sucks 'cause away from this, my face is pretty much now clear from spots.

I urgently need something for it. Been going on far too long now and i can't keep ignoring it hoping it'll go away.

man, you sound exactly like me. trying to stay a moderate distance away from people while talking face-to-face and suchall in fear of your face getting rubbed revealing dead skin and whatnot. i agree its tough to deal with. i too only wash my face with lukewarm water, but i do so using a washcloth wiping away any excess dead skin each night. perhaps our problem is using just water? i mean maybe it dries our skin out or something who knows. if you look through my profile you'll find a thread i started called "vitamin a toxicity, my story" in which i believe could've played a factor in all this.

i mean i never had this problem before i started taking vitamin a supplements and almost as soon as i started i noticed noticable dry/flakey skin. its gotten less and less over time (used to be really bad), but its still not 100% better yet.

It sounds like your doing the caveman regimen...Well, for starters, you should use a moisturizer (Cetaphil is great for dry skin, or Jojoba oil works well too). You also try using vaseline (preferably at night). As another person said, you should use a hydrating cleanser (Cetaphile or Neutrogena).

Another thing too, you shouldn't use lukewarm water...I've read through articles about winter skin care (my skin gets more dry in the winter months) that you shouldn't use lukewarm water, but WARM water preferably. So, maybe google around for "Dry skin care", and you could get some helpful info.

Other than that, does the dry skin on your face itch? If so, you might have seborrheic dermatitis. So if it does itch, you should have that checked out by a dermatologist.

Hope this helps :)

I've never bothered with supplements or anything, basically what i did was cut myself off from all those acne scrubs, started using just pear soap, acne cleared up but i was getting really dried out skin/flakeyness. Since then it's just water every night or every other night and i'm stuck with what i've got now. I'm scared to start using a facewash, let alone an exfoiliator aswell 'cause im not sure how my sensitive skin will react.

Doesn't that cetaphil stuff leave a wierd film feeling on your skin? never tried it..just going by what i heard.

Anyone know of anything that won't make my skin red or worse before it gets better?

It sounds like your doing the caveman regimen...Well, for starters, you should use a moisturizer (Cetaphil is great for dry skin, or Jojoba oil works well too). You also try using vaseline (preferably at night). As another person said, you should use a hydrating cleanser (Cetaphile or Neutrogena).

Another thing too, you shouldn't use lukewarm water...I've read through articles about winter skin care (my skin gets more dry in the winter months) that you shouldn't use lukewarm water, but WARM water preferably. So, maybe google around for "Dry skin care", and you could get some helpful info.

Other than that, does the dry skin on your face itch? If so, you might have seborrheic dermatitis. So if it does itch, you should have that checked out by a dermatologist.

Hope this helps :)

well i guess you could say i've been doing the caveman regimen for about 14 months now, so according to the posters over there i should be well beyond the "dead skin phase".

it doesn't itch at all and its not oily so its not seb derm.

can't go to the derm b/c 1)no insurance & 2)im a full-time student with a job working during derm office hours.

could you provide a link to the temperature of water for me?

also there are other things that make me think its an internal issue. like for one that the problem has gradually faded over the course of the past year or so (since i stopped taking supplements)....and also i've suffered from dry lips during that time, but that too has gotten better thru time with no other medication or chapstick or nuthin. also, this time a year ago the skin on my legs and arms were flaky too, and eventually they got back to normal.....and i used to have like several hairs falling out (not going bald or nothing like that) along with like thickened skin on my scalp.

my condition as absolutely consumed me with wonder, but all i can do is let it heal with time, cuz thats all i know to do. if it is hypervitaminosis a than as long as i have more vitamin a stored in my body than necessary im going to have this trouble....with time the reserves become less and less i guess. only thing i really know to do is avoid foods with pre-formed vitamin a, but heck i might be doing this in vain tho. lol

Doesn't that cetaphil stuff leave a wierd film feeling on your skin? never tried it..just going by what i heard.

From my personal experience, yes, it does leave a weird film. However, it does a great job for dry skin (except it made my face feel glue...so if I went to touch it, it would be sticky).

Vaseline works the same, plus it's only made of petroleum jelly, so theres no bunch of other chemicals...I use it on my dry spots or as a deep hydrating-type of moisture if my skin IS really dry. What I do is first, I rub a small amount over my face. Then, I let that sit for awhile. I let it sit anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours. After that time, I wash my face (to remove the greasy-like feeling). You could leave it on all night while you sleep, but be warned, it is sticky/greasy. But Vaseline is also non-comedogenic (fyi).

here is a link for dry skin care during winter:

http://beauty.about.com/od/skinflaws/a/skinsavers.htm

But to clarify, I don't really see the difference between the words "lukewarm" or "hot". Basically, don't use really hot water, because your dry skin will not like you for that. I just use warm (as in slighty hot or warm to the touch) water, and it doesn't irritate my face.

As for your situation, I'd really suggest you at least use something moisturizing, rather it be Cetaphil, Jojoba oil, Vitamin E oil, Vaseline, or at least something. You could try Vitamin E supplement. Idk, it's just a thought. But if worse comes to worse (like your whole body begins to become dry and flaky), you should seek some sort of medical attention.

The only other info I can think of is to make sure your not-dehyrdated (Not trying to get all health-guru on you, but its just something basic I know). Make sure your drinking water and no, drinking a bunch of soft drinks doesn't really count towards just drinking water alone (I say this because someone I know thinks that...idiot...no wonder why his tooth decayed). Eat a nice balanced diet, fruits and veggies include, not fast-food everyday (same person I knew does this too). And since your more towards the caveman regimen, you could use a natural oil, since you may think a regular moisturizer might start breaking you out again. Both oils I mentioned (jojoba and Vit E) are pretty safe oils (except some people claim jojoba makes them break out, but its difficult to say something breaks you out it your acne-prone...just saying). Those two oils are the only ones I can really think of that would be safe. Maybe almond oil or grapeseed too.

Anywho, hopefully I helped you some more. If not, I at least gave you thoughts and opinions :)

From my personal experience, yes, it does leave a weird film. However, it does a great job for dry skin (except it made my face feel glue...so if I went to touch it, it would be sticky).

Vaseline works the same, plus it's only made of petroleum jelly, so theres no bunch of other chemicals...I use it on my dry spots or as a deep hydrating-type of moisture if my skin IS really dry. What I do is first, I rub a small amount over my face. Then, I let that sit for awhile. I let it sit anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours. After that time, I wash my face (to remove the greasy-like feeling). You could leave it on all night while you sleep, but be warned, it is sticky/greasy. But Vaseline is also non-comedogenic (fyi).

here is a link for dry skin care during winter:

http://beauty.about.com/od/skinflaws/a/skinsavers.htm

But to clarify, I don't really see the difference between the words "lukewarm" or "hot". Basically, don't use really hot water, because your dry skin will not like you for that. I just use warm (as in slighty hot or warm to the touch) water, and it doesn't irritate my face.

As for your situation, I'd really suggest you at least use something moisturizing, rather it be Cetaphil, Jojoba oil, Vitamin E oil, Vaseline, or at least something. You could try Vitamin E supplement. Idk, it's just a thought. But if worse comes to worse (like your whole body begins to become dry and flaky), you should seek some sort of medical attention.

The only other info I can think of is to make sure your not-dehyrdated (Not trying to get all health-guru on you, but its just something basic I know). Make sure your drinking water and no, drinking a bunch of soft drinks doesn't really count towards just drinking water alone (I say this because someone I know thinks that...idiot...no wonder why his tooth decayed). Eat a nice balanced diet, fruits and veggies include, not fast-food everyday (same person I knew does this too). And since your more towards the caveman regimen, you could use a natural oil, since you may think a regular moisturizer might start breaking you out again. Both oils I mentioned (jojoba and Vit E) are pretty safe oils (except some people claim jojoba makes them break out, but its difficult to say something breaks you out it your acne-prone...just saying). Those two oils are the only ones I can really think of that would be safe. Maybe almond oil or grapeseed too.

Anywho, hopefully I helped you some more. If not, I at least gave you thoughts and opinions :)

Raimundo,

I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into that post! :) Thanks for the link also!

as far as my diet goes im pretty healthy compared to my peers. i dont drink sodas at all (mostly water) with the occasional glass of juice or green tea. i will admit that i do eat some fast food, BUT i did eat about the same amount of fast food before this little fiasco with my skin. lol

perhaps ill experiment with a vitamin e supplement and some type of moisturizer on a small part of my face. nonetheless, i really do appreciate your comments!

yepican. do you ever get oily skin? 'cause i do when i eat some foods or drink - i think thats just the large pores on my cheeks and nose producing too much. sometimes i'll get red really flakey skin flushes after showers aswell - think thats having the water too hot though.

i think what you say about vitamin a may be more paranoia, i carry a lot of paranoia about what makes my skin do what aswell and you'd have to think that by now the deficiencies and stuff your getting has sorted itself out and avoiding certain foods because of it make be effecting you when deep down, if you don't abuse...foods have little effect on skin as long as you're drinking a lot of water to go with it. I wouldn't bother with any supplements either because over a period of time they can cause more harm than good (or so i've heard).

I think we both need to commit to a good facewash or exfoilator...or moisturiser and just see how we get on. Things is there's so many products about with different stuff in...when someone says Vitamin E oil...what exact product are they talking about?

Your welcome :)

...when someone says Vitamin E oil...what exact product are they talking about?

I mean the oil itself. Usually you will find either tocopheryl extract or tocopheryl acetate (which is pretty much vitamin e, or at least close to it. And for all you know-it-alls out there, don't judge me, I'm just explaining the basics).

But you can buy Vitamin E oil itself, and just use that a moisturizer (I've yet to try it, but I might eventually since I've read it helps out with redmarks). Either you can buy the oil, or buy the Vitamin E supplements and "extract" the oil from the supplement. What I mean by extracting is taking a pin to the Vit E supplement and poking a hole in it and squishing the oil wiithin the supplement. So there are different ways to obtaining Vit E oil...hope this explains it better, despite all what i typed. Sorry, I type alot :)

yepican. do you ever get oily skin? 'cause i do when i eat some foods or drink - i think thats just the large pores on my cheeks and nose producing too much. sometimes i'll get red really flakey skin flushes after showers aswell - think thats having the water too hot though.

i think what you say about vitamin a may be more paranoia, i carry a lot of paranoia about what makes my skin do what aswell and you'd have to think that by now the deficiencies and stuff your getting has sorted itself out and avoiding certain foods because of it make be effecting you when deep down, if you don't abuse...foods have little effect on skin as long as you're drinking a lot of water to go with it. I wouldn't bother with any supplements either because over a period of time they can cause more harm than good (or so i've heard).

I think we both need to commit to a good facewash or exfoilator...or moisturiser and just see how we get on. Things is there's so many products about with different stuff in...when someone says Vitamin E oil...what exact product are they talking about?

no i dont really get oily skin anywhere except some very minor oiliness in the middle of my forehead sometimes (stressful days, really greasy food)

you're prolly right about the paranoia thing. it might not be hypervitaminosis a. i have been researching the possibility of a mineral imbalance though. i took appx. 65 mg of Zinc daily for appx. 16 months so that may have messed me up somehow. all i know is that this flakiness didn't exist until around i started throwing back vitamins left and right. and all i know is that since i stopped things have slowly gotten better, not great, but better.

as far as commiting to a facewash or exfoliator, personally i will not. i've had great success without the use of creams, washes, gels, etc. so im not gunna go back to those days. my complexion is really pretty good and I am blessed to have pretty much clear skin. its just the dry, rough, flakiness that bothers me. its on my scalp, face, upper neck, and back of my arms + my lips are dry.

Inty, regarding your situation i really dont know what to say. I mean if you have generally oily skin it sounds like seb derm or ezcema to me. if not that, than perhaps you've got something out of balance internally?