Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Axxith

TCA Peel log

Alright, well I didn't know what to do with my very shallow indents with hyperpigmentated situated in them--so I did a TCA peel! I heard mixed reviews about whether or not a TCA peel will help with scars, so i'm crossing my fingers and hope for the best.

I did a 20% TCA peel on both my cheeks; I did my right cheek on Thursday (two days ago) and my left cheek today (Saturday). I did more layers than my previous peels (I believe around 4 or 5) and achieved frosting in both areas (yay for hitting the dermis).

Now, I'm hoping this TCA peel will AT LEAST lighten my hyperpigmented spots, even if it does nothing for the indents (scars). These scars, mind you, are very shallow so I can deal with those. However, red marks (for me at least) are too annoying.

DAY ONE:

Well my left cheek is still red, some frosting on it still. I have a wet towel next to me to occasionally pat the area (it's still stinging; just performed the TCA peel to my left cheek a few minutes ago).

My right cheek looks like it's going down the right track; Everything is brown/darkened and it looks leathery.

As for me, I somehow found time during Christmas week to do a TCA peel and update on this site haha.

DAY TWO:

Well my right cheek started peeling (after I stepped out of the shower) and pretty much the entire area has peeled off. Result: It looks a lot better! There were not indented spots (scars) on my right cheek so the hyperpigmentation has lightened considerably. I'm pretty sure that doing several layers has helped my skin heal--that and i'm 18 so my skin's always fixing itself haha. The skin where the peel came off feels like it's breathing, in the sense that i can feel air on it! I just put some neosporin on it to protect it from any potential infections.

My left cheek (with hyperpigmentation IN the shallow scars) is still in the process of scabbing over. It looks like it's doing the same thing my right cheek did and that's a good sign!

I need to go out today at 5pm...hopefully it's dark out by then because I don't want to expose my skin to the sun in any way, shape, or form.

*Listening to Britney Spears :P

DAY THREE:

Ow!! I was extremely ignorant that I forgot I had used 1.0% Retinol a few nights before my TCA peel. The result? Lightly tinted (red) skin that's peeling and it BURNS. I saw my chin start to peel this morning and I was confused, thinking "I didn't do a peel there!" But then I realized it was the retinol and now it was starting to peel. So in essence, my entire face looks like it's peeling.

My right cheek has completely peeled and to be honest, I don't see much improvement (some marks are lightly faded). I do see a small area of that peel that is brightly red (perhaps retinol + tca peels were too much?) Ahhh I wish I didn't use that retinol--1% is toooo strong.

My left cheek is still scabbing over.

It seems the marks on my right side have faded a bit, which is good :)

UPDATE: Alright! Well as I took a shower today for a modeling gig in Vegas, I found that my left cheek has peeled! Unfortunately it pretty much has the same bright pink tint to it as my right cheek when the scab peeled off. I believe this is fresh, new skin so being this color is natural (i'm hoping). I dabbed some *light* neosporin on (I hide my hair over the area i did the peel). So far it looks great! I believe once the redness goes down on both sides i'll definitely see some improvement.

Since I have to wear make-up for my job (well I don't have to [i look fine without it]), I was careful not to get make-up in that area (I wear Bare Minerals). But i'm telling you it BURNED to buff my chin/lower cheek with my kabuki brush because of the retinol I used there. Even when I was extremely gentle it hurt. I am totally going to use Retinol every other night. Thankfully I'm going to be inside the house (where I can freely wear no make-up and such) until New Years :) Gosh taking off this make-up tonight is going to be hell.

BACK TO THE PEEL--haha to be honest the skin that I used the TCA peel over doesn't burn or anything. The only time it stung was when I applied several layers, but that was about it.

Oh and the Retinol, btw, is from SkinCeuticals. It is PERFECT for doing it's job, but I used too much. I'll continue to use it because it's making my red marks fade like crazy. Just a side note.

Interesting. What is your peel history (i.e., what did those 4 or 5 peels you did last consist of)?

My first peel: 10% on cheeks, chin, and around my lips (I don't have wrinkles there but I look soooo young if I have absolutely no lines when I smile and such). I only did 2 layers.

My second peel: 15% on cheeks + forehead and I did 3 layers.

My third peel: 20% on cheeks and I did 3 layers.

My fourth peel (the one i'm currently under): 20% peel on cheeks and did 5 layers.

All are TCA peels and all achieved frosting.

DAY FOUR:

Alright, well my right cheek looks a lot better than before the peel! The marks have faded and i'm happy with that. However, the marks did not fade completely or were diminished to a point where they were nearly unrecognizable. The pinkness of my right cheek has subsided considerably, but is still a bit pink. Nonetheless, I know it takes several peels to get rid of hyperpigmentation and I have only done one 20% TCA peel prior to this (which is considered somewhat of a medium peel) so perhaps one or two more peels will be all I need :)

My left cheek is pretty much doing everything my right cheek is doing...it's bright pink and the hyperpigmenation looks promising. ALSO, the TCA peel has shrunk the area of where I have my shallow indents/hyperpigmentation! I think that's pretty great.

I also did a 15% TCA peel around my lips (the place where I laugh). I did this same exact procedure with a 10% peel a few months ago and it made me look great each time I smiled with no laugh lines! Since it's been about 6 months I decided it's time to do it again :) Right now it's a light brown color, slowly turning into a scab. I'm thinking I should have done a 20% TCA peel instead, but the area immediately frosted after 2-3 layers so it hit the dermis and i'm happy with that :D

My chin is still a bit red (not as red as before) due to the 1% retinol...it's peeling and the red marks are fading fast. It wasn't a pleasant experience to start peeling in that area, but it's so worth it :) I stopped using the retinol anywhere on my face until everything heals and calms down.

**On a personal note, i'm not going out the next three-four days in order to let my face relax and take a breather. Second semester begins on the 11th of January, so I should be good by then. I can't wait to dye my hair! I've never done it before and hopefully it will go over nicely.

Hi Axxith,

I've read with intest this thread on TCA Peels.

Can I ask how bad your scars were before you started this treatment? Were any deep, like icepick type scars?

Would you say the instructions here are pretty much spot on, with regards to the TCA Peel?

http://www.perfectpeelsolutions.com/PeelProcess.htm

I'm wanting to order the TCA product, do you feel starting at the 8% strength would be the best idea and working my way up? Or do what you did and do the 10% > 15% levels?

Also, when the peel is ordered does it come with the product to use 2 weeks before the TCA Peel is applied?

Edited by StevieC

Dave99: My mom and friends say the same thing. I understand that I shouldn't go overboard with this thing, but because i'm in front of a camera or other models I always feel the need to go an extra mile (especially because I'm not an older model, say 21-30). But trust me, I always follow procedure with these TCA peels. It's been about 5-6 months since I performed one for my laugh lines/place where I smile so I figured since TCA peel results last about that long, it's time to do another.

Hi Axxith,

I've read with intest this thread on TCA Peels.

Can I ask how bad your scars were before you started this treatment? Were any deep, like icepick type scars?

Would you say the instructions here are pretty much spot on, with regards to the TCA Peel?

http://www.perfectpeelsolutions.com/PeelProcess.htm

I'm wanting to order the TCA product, do you feel starting at the 8% strength would be the best idea and working my way up? Or do what you did and do the 10% > 15% levels?

Also, when the peel is ordered does it come with the product to use 2 weeks before the TCA Peel is applied?

DAY FIVE:

I am EXTREMELY happy with my skin today! My skin was probably at it's utter worst yesterday (all red, barely crusty-yet-not-completely-a-scab-yet, and tight). Today the redness has gone down and although my face still feels a bit tight, I am definitely liking what I see!

Alright my right cheek has made major improvement. Not only can I see a smoother "level" of my skin, but the hyperpigmentation has diminished visually (meaning I don't have to squint or use a magnifying glass to inspect the positive changes that have occured due to the peel). And the redness that was once there has subsided! Awesome :D

My left cheek is still a bit red (I wouldn't even say red...maybe a very light pink) and it looks promising. The scars have not gone away (they look smaller in size, but doesn't look like the depth have changed much), but i've read my face still needs to heal. So i'll be checking up on my left cheek for the next month for any collagen growth/any more positive changes. The hyperpigmentation does look signifcantly diminished, too.

My laugh-lines area is begining to crust even more (a leathery look) and that's good news. It feels weird to laugh/smile so i'm trying to limit that until it peels. So far so good :)

I'm using some of the Retinol 1% on my back (I don't have bacne anymore, but I still have some light scars). We'll see how that goes.

Edited by Axxith

Things seemed to have improved well to say you only started 4 days ago!

Do you have any before pics so we could see how it's looking?

I think once you go higher in TCA percentage and do several peels, you scab and heal rather quickly (as opposed to say 10%, where you just slowly flake off).

And I wish I had before pics :/ I was anxious to start this TCA process because it was winter break (and I don't have too much time). I will take some after pictures, however and hopefully that can help.

I think once you go higher in TCA percentage and do several peels, you scab and heal rather quickly (as opposed to say 10%, where you just slowly flake off).

And I wish I had before pics :/ I was anxious to start this TCA process because it was winter break (and I don't have too much time). I will take some after pictures, however and hopefully that can help.

What is the cream you use 2 weeks before the TCA Peel called again? Are there substitutes that can be purchased from many highstreet shops which will suffice?

What is the cream you use 2 weeks before the TCA Peel called again? Are there substitutes that can be purchased from many highstreet shops which will suffice?

I used Dan's AHA+ (from this site) to prep my skin before the TCA peel. It's a 10% Glycolic Acid moisturizing cream that's perfect for acne prone skin. And it exofliates! So I loved it. As for substitutes, I would try anything that contains an alpha hydrox acid or exfoliates skin (like retinol or retin-a, for example). Something light that will help your skin get accustomed to the exfoliation process and renewing itself.

I used Dan's AHA+ (from this site) to prep my skin before the TCA peel. It's a 10% Glycolic Acid moisturizing cream that's perfect for acne prone skin. And it exofliates! So I loved it. As for substitutes, I would try anything that contains an alpha hydrox acid or exfoliates skin (like retinol or retin-a, for example). Something light that will help your skin get accustomed to the exfoliation process and renewing itself.

I use Retin-A 0.025% every day, so I assume that means I can start the TCA as soon as it arrives. Although I fell on the ice 2 weeks ago and a cut on my right cheek is still scabbed over a little bit. So maybe I'm best targetting a different area of the face (i.e temple or left cheek) until it's healed more.

I use Retin-A 0.025% every day, so I assume that means I can start the TCA as soon as it arrives. Although I fell on the ice 2 weeks ago and a cut on my right cheek is still scabbed over a little bit. So maybe I'm best targetting a different area of the face (i.e temple or left cheek) until it's healed more.

That sounds great! I wish you the best :)

DAY SIX It's pretty much has been a week for my cheeks since i've performed the peel!

All redness has subsided (yay) and it looks great! My right cheek has diminished spots (visually) so i'm glad to notice that. I noticed, however, there is still some scab (that sounds gross haha) on my right side that hasn't peeled off. No worries, it should come off soon. My left cheek feels a lot smoother and the scars look better. The hyperpigmentation has diminished and it shows progress :)

Although the TCA peel has not completely taken away all my shallow scars/hyperpigmentation, I know that my next peel will most likely give me the results I want.

I'm planning on performing a 30% peel in about 2-3 months (that's when i'll have time and should give my skin plenty of time to rest). As for layers...not sure i'll probably do 3 or 4 at the most.

My laugh lines is still scabbing over, although it's getting annoying not able to smile or open my mouth wide to eat! Hopefully in a day or so this will start to peel off. I've been taking warm showers in hopes of expediting the peeling process. I never let the water rinse off on my face (that would be too harsh), but I just sit there in the tub haha. I'm a small guy so I can fit in our tiny tub :P

Pretty much the only thing that's forcing me to stay indoors and not dye my hair is the peel I performed near my lips. I can't wait to dye my hair! It's going to be fantastic I just have a feeling.

Hey - Could you tell me the down time on your first 10% TCA peel? So, how long did it take for all redness and everything to subside.

Hey - Could you tell me the down time on your first 10% TCA peel? So, how long did it take for all redness and everything to subside.

The 10% TCA gave me about 4 days of completely down time, but about 6-7 days for everything to come off. The reason is 10% is a relatively low percentage, meaning it's going to flake off instead of peel in chunks (which is annoying lol). So after 4 days the redness has subsided but some of the peeling will still be there for a bit.

UPDATE:

WOW--after taking a really warm shower my skin pretty much peeled anything extra it had down the drain. Not only do my cheeks look a lot better than before, but especially around my lips-nose I see DRAMATIC improvement. I believe I see such an improvement because this is the area of the face people see first (besides the eyes)--it's around the lips and such. Not only do my pores appear less pronounced, but my skin looks fresh. Ahhh I am so excited! I'm attending a party in Vegas for New Years and I seriously cannot wait :)

Here's to starting 2010 with great skin!

Now time to buy some more sunscreen because tomorrow morning my new skin will be sensitive to the sun!

When you say layers of TCA does that mean you put some of the TCA on your skin, wait for the burning to die down, before putting some more on the same area X amount of minutes later?

When you say layers of TCA does that mean you put some of the TCA on your skin, wait for the burning to die down, before putting some more on the same area X amount of minutes later?

To be honest I don't put layers in intervals. I do wait for a few seconds (say 20-30) and then apply another layer. I don't go by when the burning subsides or anything.

FINAL UPDATE: My skin is looking fabulous today! :) It's not only more radiant, but both my cheeks have lightened significantly. I'll be excited to do another 20% TCA peel with several layers when my skin heals and all. Not only does my skin feel baby soft smooth, but it just looks younger and fresh!

I'll still answer any questions you guys might have, but no need for another update. I'll make another log next time I perform another TCA peel.

Time to hit the mall :D