Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lovesickmelody

Accutane and Depression

I'm a 14 year old girl, and i've had acne for about 4 or 5 years. i've been on loads of different medicines (Zineryt, oxytetracycline, erythromycin etc.) but none have worked, so i got referred to a dermotologist, who said i should go on Accutane.

I've been on it for about 2 months ( 40mg a day ) and i've been feeling really depressed. I keep crying, and i get so scared by the thought of exams, cause i'm a failiure so i'm going to fail them, then i'll have a really bad job cause i'll have bad grades. i'm so ugly (even without acne!), that i'll never get married or anything and ugh... i just want to stay in bed all day crying.

*EDITED BY MODERATOR*

i don't want to tell my derm. cause then he'll take me off the accutane, then i'll just be stuck with acne forever, but i hate feeling like this.

what do i do?

thank you for any advice.

(p.s - sorry if i've posted this in the wrong section.)

Hi Honey,

I read your post this morning. And I do understand why you're scared to tell you derm about what you are feeling...

My best friend went through the exact same type of depression when she took Accutane back when we were in college. I've read that the depression side effect is strongest in teens however. My advice (and obviously I am no medical professional so just take it loosely) would be two things;

First, keep a journal about how you are feeling. This is what my best friend did. She had suicidal thoughts and did not want to tell her parents, so she journaled about them and it helped her to reflect on why she was having the feelings. Sometimes it can be unexplainably theraputic to just get it all out onto paper, have a good cry, and move onto the next piece - bit by bit. It might take a while, but you could even look at this course of treatment as your time to really sort through all the emotions in your head. It's your 6 months of personal therapy! (at least that's how I am trying to look at it)

Also ***KEEP IN PERSPECTIVE*** that the feelings are being amplified or maybe even caused by your Accutane!!

Second, I do recommend telling your doctor that you are feeling somewhat emotional. I say this because perhaps he can prescribe a low dose anti-depresant (I really like Effexor) to help curb some of what you are feeling.

As for feeling like a screw up or bad about your grades, EVERYONE goes through this at some point. Trust me! I totally was up and down emotionally all through High School, so you are completely normal feeling that way! I really hope things get better for you, and like I said, a mild anti-d might be the perfect solution to help you while you take your Accutane. And even though you aren't feeling very pretty right now, clear skin can work wonders for someone's self esteem, so just remember that there is a great reason why you're doing this and that you're going to feel radically different about yourself, and your looks, very soon! :)

I hope this helps a little bit!

M

As much as I agree with Melisy03, I think talking even with your mom or dad about your 'sadness' could help you a lot. *EDITED BY MODERATOR*

I have removed the suicide references from this thread. It was minimal, but still inappropriate for here.

I am very sorry to hear that you are having a very hard time coping with acne, but please check with a counselor on this issue. While you may voice various issues at the Emotional and psychological effects of acne forum, we strongly feel this is not a suitable place to share suicidal thoughts with other members. I strongly encourage you to seek a professional assistance on this matter.

Information about professional assistance can be found here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/resources...lai-t16184.html

I will also move this over to the Accutane forums where it's more suited.

While suicide and thoughts of are very important, this isn't a place where we can deal with such emotions. We all care about the well being of our members but we are not professionals and sensitive issues like that need professional help, or it could be made worse.

I hope that lovesickmelody wasn't offended by my editing and understands my reasons for doing so. Should anyone have a problem with this rule, or wish to discuss anything related then please feel free to PM me or any of the other Mods and we would be happy to have a chat :)

Ahah no I don't want to discuss about it because I've never thought about it and hope I never will because life is a precious gift from God and thus must be kept as a relic. The girl is only 14 and she's clearly asking for some help but she's obviously confused and doesn't know what to do that's why having a little talk with those who felt the same could help her mind become clearer :)

I don't understand why you must remove the suicide reference.

This is a community that deals with everything acne related, and my acne medicine, accutane, comes with specific directions outlining suicide and thoughts of suicide- but I'm not allowed to discuss said thoughts on this board? (luckily for me I have not ever experienced these thoughts and hope that I never do) Is it a liability issue? I would think this would be one of the best and first resources a person would go to as it is completely confidential and easily accessibly. If this is not a liability issue and rather just a personal policy of the acne.org staff, this is the first and only time I have been disappointed with this website.

tbh i don't see why you felt the need to remove the suicide reference.

i've seen other topics on the site that mention suicide, and they haven't been edited, why just this one?

i obviously came to this site to seek advice and help from other members who have had similar experiences. i don't like the idea of seeing a counselor because they haven't actually had acne have they? they're just saying things based on fact, not reality. but how am i supposed to get help etc. from this site when you're editing half of what i say, so that the topic is now irrelevant?

Suicide is a very very serious issue, and one that we are not equipped to deal with here. I appreciate that the two are linked- that is true. I myself have been faced with similar thoughts due to acne-related issues. But suicidal thoughts are something that need professional help. Help and advice from somebody who knows the right things to say and the right things to do.

Imagine if somebody here, whether its me, another moderator or another member, tries to offer some advice but actually makes it worse then that could be fatal. It sounds over dramatic but it could happen. Not only would this likely mean Acne.org closing for good and possibly put the site owners in a lot of trouble but more importantly could cause serious distress to many people.

It is very hard keeping this site safe for all. We have many children that frequent the message boards. While we can't protect children from everything, but posts and threads about suicide are something that young and naive minds need to be protected from, particularly in this day and age when information about such acts is widely available and easily accessed through the internet. We don't want to aid this.

We remove such comments to protect our members. We don't intend to cause any harm or hurt, but instead offer the correct advice in seeking help from external sources. As a moderator I also have to follow the rules and guidelines that are set down.

Have a read of this pinned thread from the Emotional and Psychological Forums. Hopefully it'll reiterate some of what ive said here.

In future, if you see other posts with references to suicide then please report them by clicking on the "Report!" button to the left of the post, under the user's image. While there are moderators around for most of the day we cannot be on guard all of the time. This community is about everyone contributing and one way that you can do so is to help us highlight anything that you are concerned about. Any posts that are reported by users are individually reviewed by moderators and we also have the facilities to discuss them. We greatly appreciate any help that everyone can offer.

Thank you for questioning my decision to edit the post. I appreciate and respect your opinions.

I've been on it for about 2 months ( 40mg a day ) and i've been feeling really depressed. I keep crying, and i get so scared by the thought of exams, cause i'm a failiure so i'm going to fail them, then i'll have a really bad job cause i'll have bad grades. i'm so ugly (even without acne!), that i'll never get married or anything and ugh... i just want to stay in bed all day crying.

How has your acne been clearing up? I felt depressed in the first couple months of accutane, but when my skin cleared up my mood lifted so much. If you are still breaking out, please understand that's normal and accutane is the most effective acne medication out there. It will work, but it will take time.

There could be many reasons for your depression, such as hormones, seasonal affective disorder, trouble at school, low self esteem, etc. If you think your parents would be supportive, talk to them. Try to get at the heart of what is causing your depression so you can work on it and feel happy again.

Good luck and keep us posted!

@ OP: You're only 14! I'm not in anyway trying to belittle you but you've got your whole life ahead of you, in fact it has only just started!! As for exams, your GCSE's are two years away at the most. Keep things in perspective and have a chat with your parents and/or siblings to let them know how you're feeling.

Edited by klick

I thought it was explained quite thoroughly and thoughtfully.

It is necessary for multiple reasons to refer anyone who is having active suicidal ideations to a hotline or helpline in order for them to speak with a *trained* counsellor.

Further, please be aware that any topics that contain discussion of active suicidal ideations, detailed discussion of suicide, and/or continued references to the subject will be closed.

Otherwise, supportive discussion of emotional issues relative to acne is quite acceptable and encouraged.

should've just said it is a liability issue, which is perfectly understandable!

Agreed. What we basically have now is a post without a suicide reference, but a mod telling us that it was removed. So we all know the person may be having suicial thoughts, but if it came down to a legal issue the site and its owners would not be liable. Which is fine, but just SAY that.