Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gandy

Smoking and Acne

Hi guys,

Im male, 20 with moderate acne that started late 2006 started smoking april 2006

Well I just wanted to tell people my experiance with smoking and acne. For months..well about a year actuley I have scanned the internet looking for answers on smoking whilst having acne and what I found was minimal and did not give me enough answers and facts. So on the 27th of November 2009 I just said screw it I couldn't go on any longer kiding myself that my 20 a day habit wasn't contributing to my acne. That day was Important for me because on the 27th of November 2008 I broke up with my bf of two years because my self asteem by that point was the lowest its ever been and I could barely look at myself in the mirror let alone have someone be 1" away from my face aswell. So this November I had to do it.

Anyway on quit day I had 14 pimples but loads of bumps around my chin and jawline. About 5 days after quiting I noticed a glow to my skin after washing that I had not seen in about 4 years, I was still getting pimples but that glow changed the way for my face looked...it just looked more alive. 11 days after quiting I had 4 pimples and could see no new ones forming and I also noticed the ones I had were healing alot quicker. 21 days after quiting I had no new pimples just red marks. And now its the 25th of december 29 days after quiting Ive had 1 pimple since then, my red marks are fading the bumps along my jawline are gone, I also noticed around 2 weeks afte quiting my skin was less oily. So all Im left with today are fading red marks and a few blackheads on my nose.

I cant believe all this time I waited and waited trying to tell my self that it wernt the cigaretts, i drank 3 liters of water day, hardley ever ate junk food, worked out twice a week tried every OTC products you can think off (spending £300 on creme de la mer products) and all this time it was those dirty white ******* cigaretts.

So now I relise my body didn't have the energy to help my acne it was too busy trying to cope with all that crap i was inhaing 20 times a day, also now I know its not nicotene that causes acne its the actual cigaretts and those 4000 chemicals they come with, I kept being told that nicotene was the cause because it messes up your hormones (making me fear the patches e.g) but Im still on the patches (the lowest nicotene ones you can get 5mg) so its NOT the nicotene. So use those new electronic cigaretts, patches, gum just quit those dirty cigaretts.

I hope Ive helped people who are looking for answers on the subject like I was. It really has changed my life so much, I cant even begin to tell you.

So smokers listen up...you can be the healthiest person on the planet and use the best products around but if you continue smoking all those postives just go up in smoke ;)

Thanks for Reading

Take care guys

Thank you for sharing your story Gandy. Not only has quitting been fantastic for your acne, but it will prove to have many long term benefits for the rest of your body. Well done. It can be immensely hard dealing with an addiction, but I bet you feel damn good for it now!

I'm going to ship your thread over to the Nutrition and Holistic Health Board where it'll get a bit more exposure from people looking into smoking and acne. Hope you don't mind! :)

Thank you for sharing your story Gandy. Not only has quitting been fantastic for your acne, but it will prove to have many long term benefits for the rest of your body. Well done. It can be immensely hard dealing with an addiction, but I bet you feel damn good for it now!

I'm going to ship your thread over to the where it'll get a bit more exposure from people looking into smoking and acne. Hope you don't mind! :)

No not at all. Sorry it was my first post, registered about 15 minutes ago lol. Thanks man!!

i dont smoke but my ex gf used to alot so every once in a while i would just join her. It sure seemed the very next day, i would break out slightly, but nothing to drastic.

I just want to add that...I stopped smoking cigs three weeks ago. It don't see a correlation between it and my acne. Just my 2 cents.

I have heard that for some people the body goes through a detox period after quiting and you may notice more breakouts or no change. All the smoking research I looked a said within 1 to 2 months you should see a change in your skin, texture, tone and health. Well done for quiting, I hope you see changes soon.

I just want to add that...I stopped smoking cigs three weeks ago. It don't see a correlation between it and my acne. Just my 2 cents.

I have heard that for some people the body goes through a detox period after quiting and you may notice more breakouts or no change. All the smoking research I looked a said within 1 to 2 months you should see a change in your skin, texture, tone and health. Well done for quiting, I hope you see changes soon.

I wasn't too descriptive because I was in a rush before. I'm a 20 year old male(about to be 21) and have been smoking for 3-4 years prior to quitting. I was no where near a pack a day, but smoked around 4-5 depending on the circumstance(I loved to smoke while driving, haha I'm not sure why). I actually quit becuase of my acne, no other reason. I bought an E-Cig three days after quitting so I didn't suffer from any withdrawal and have been vaping it ever since. I'm actually in love with it. I really hope I see a noticeable change in the overall appearance of my skin as I've read countless times that cigs speed up aging and slow down healing. Anyway, thanks for the kind words Gandy.

i started excercising an hour everyday, drinking more than 8 glasses of water a day & changed my eating habits, to tell you now, i have no results, its been 24 days now...im not doing all this to lose weight, im doing it to get rid of my acne so i can be happy, i think today i will quit smoking drugs since this might be the problem..smoke up to 30 joints a day, i hope it helps if not after a month of quitting i will go back & see a doctor about my acne for once and for all

cigarette smoke causes the pores to clog up and since you have it so close to your face, then more that likely its going to hit the pores hard.

also cigarette's contain bacteria that leads into the body that might contribute to acne.

yeah theres definitely a correlation. QUIT ASAP anyone who does, trust me. Nice job quitting I know it can be tough but the benefits outweigh by far plus you save a ton of money.

Edited by DeAntonio

i started excercising an hour everyday, drinking more than 8 glasses of water a day & changed my eating habits, to tell you now, i have no results, its been 24 days now...im not doing all this to lose weight, im doing it to get rid of my acne so i can be happy, i think today i will quit smoking drugs since this might be the problem..smoke up to 30 joints a day, i hope it helps if not after a month of quitting i will go back & see a doctor about my acne for once and for all

thirty joints a day?.. .....

thirty joints a day?.. .....

unreal.

There is definately a link, the last time I went out with my friends for example, I had no spots only 1 tiny one that had just began to come up. On the bus we got to the cinema a load of them were smoking (I dont myself) and by the time the night was over I had not one...not two, but three spots and the one I saw before I went out was very red.

God I got such a shock. I had an idea before but this insident proved it to me, so it even happens for 2nd hand smoke!