Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jennah

Does drinking water really make a difference?

Hey everyone, haven't been here in a while!

So, I've been getting some breakouts lately. I don't drink much water (a 16 oz bottle or less a day) and have been trying to drink 8 glasses a day. For the past few days I've been able to do it, but I feel like I'm forcing myself to drink as I'm never that thirsty. I just can't seem to drink that much! So far I haven't noticed any improvements in my skin.

So, in your experience, has drinking water made any difference?

TIA!

(and Merry Christmas!)

well ive been drinking lots of water everyday for around 6 months. not sure how much it helps. they say the body is something like 65% water? so i guess it helps to replenish it with pure water as much as possible.

i get like that to i say if your not thirsty then dont drink. but maybe try drinking little sips every hour or something

I'm not too sure yet. I've been drinking lots of water daily for the past year or so and I mean, I still have acne. Don't expect it to clear you up or anything. It's definitely good to do anyway to be healthy. I know it helps after a night of drinking to drink a ton of water before I go to bed. Usually drinking will give me one or two small pimples the next day, the kind that would come up anyway but if i hadn't drank I probably could have iced and used bp and stopped it. If I drink a lot of water after drinking, I'm talking like 1 liter, then I'm usually fine the next day, not to mention less hungover.

I personally have never seen an effect on my acne through drinking more or less water. But when I do drink more water I feel more awake and energetic. I think that its probably good for your body in general.

Can't hurt. A lot of people are chronically dehydrated and don't know it. If you only drink when you become thirsty, you are dehydrated.

When I was at University (2000-2001) I went through a period of drinking lots of mineral water which I'd purchase from the local Tesco. It was quite cheap at the time so I'd get 2 x 2 litre bottles every day and make sure I'd drank them before evening.

My mates commented on a significant improvement to my skin, both complexion and acne. So much so one of my mates started doing the same thing.

Now, I'm not sure if mineral water vs tap water would make a difference.

You do have to drink quite a lot though if you're hoping for it to help. Like I say, I drank 4 litres of water every day and it definitely seemed to helped.

EDIT: Make sure if you drink 4 litres of water, you spread it out through the day and not 4 litres all at once... in fact people have died from drinking 4 litres inside 2 hours, so it would be best to spread it out over say 8-10 hours ... basically throughout the day evenly.

Edited by StevieC

Small effect. It's just overall healthy. I do it not becuase I want a clear face, but I can only drink water. Drinking anything else when I'm thirsty makes absolutely no sense to me.

nope, not for me. I drink a lot of water.. people I know have commented on this. especially when i work, I refill like no body's business. I hate being slightly thirsty.

My skin has not improved, I am still as oily as ever. what has helped my skin is my skincare regimen. But hey water affects people differently.

Can't hurt. A lot of people are chronically dehydrated and don't know it. If you only drink when you become thirsty, you are dehydrated.

uhh no

a lot of people are chronically fat and don't know it :o

Hey guys thought I'd just comment, even though the last post was a few weeks ago.

I used to think the idea of '8 glasses of water a day' was ridiculous as we all have sufficient intake and we get water through food and other beverages and I believed it was unnecessary and all a marketing concoction.

However, I've easily been drinking 2L+ a day for over a month and I can't say it's helped or improved things superficially or internally, all I know is that water (distilled, purified, tap or spring - they are all very good and debatable in terms of which one is better) is needed to cleanse our bodies, help our liver release toxins and it's just an amazing wonder drug really.

DRINK MORE WATER! BE LIKE FISHIES! STORE LIKE CAMELS!