Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kevin N

My Accutane Experience. DROP DEAD ACNE!

We here is my story. My derm put me on tazorac and minocin back in early October. I had mild to moderate acne, and wanted it to be gone. After the 12 week course here I am.... My skin broke out like CRAZY on the tazorac. MY derm told me it would start to clear up by Christmas. It's Christmas day today, and I look the worst I have in my life... It's very discouraging. My derm is going to be putting me on accutane hopefully this coming week. He better make time for a last minute appointment. I am very worried about the "initial breakout" on accutane. Don't get me wrong, I can handle a break out. But some of the picture logs I have seen from other users looks like the acne gets 10 times worse than it was to start! I'm a freshman in college, and this is the time I am supposed to be meeting people and making lots of friends, but instead I want to hide in my dorm for the next 20 weeks. I guess I am looking for advice on the treatment, things to be careful of, and encouragement. I know that by summer time I will have clear skin, and that thought will hopefully keep me positive until then.

We here is my story. My derm put me on tazorac and minocin back in early October. I had mild to moderate acne, and wanted it to be gone. After the 12 week course here I am.... My skin broke out like CRAZY on the tazorac. MY derm told me it would start to clear up by Christmas. It's Christmas day today, and I look the worst I have in my life... It's very discouraging. My derm is going to be putting me on accutane hopefully this coming week. He better make time for a last minute appointment. I am very worried about the "initial breakout" on accutane. Don't get me wrong, I can handle a break out. But some of the picture logs I have seen from other users looks like the acne gets 10 times worse than it was to start! I'm a freshman in college, and this is the time I am supposed to be meeting people and making lots of friends, but instead I want to hide in my dorm for the next 20 weeks. I guess I am looking for advice on the treatment, things to be careful of, and encouragement. I know that by summer time I will have clear skin, and that thought will hopefully keep me positive until then.

rest assured- any breakout on accutane is well worth it. the results of a full course are nothing short of spectacular. i did a 4 month course and it cleared me for 4 years. i'm on my 2nd cours enow and will finish a full 6 months this time.

Curlyq is right. It's definitely worth it - if you even get one. A lot of people don't! I'm only at the end of my 1st month and already see a lot of improvement in my skin's texture and I currently have zero actives. I did get an IB, and I remember it wasn't the most fun I'd ever had, but I also don't remember it effecting me as much as I thought it might. It only lasted about a week and a half, too, so really it didn't make a significant difference in my life. :) I'm mad at myself for not doing this sooner. Good luck with getting the 'tane next week and happy holidays :)

Thanks for the advice, and I read your blog mal. Best of luck to you! I am going on a ski trip out west with hundreds of other college students next week (the 2nd- 9th) and I am trying to cope with the fact that my face will look like shit (granted I get the prescription). Oh well, I guess I have to keep my eyes on the prize (Clear skin this summer!). Yes this next semester will suck skin wise, but it is an investment I am willing to undergo for clear skin. Merry Christmas everyone, and thank you so much for the comments

UPDATE:

Okay, I got my blood test today and my derm said I will start taking accutane on Wednesday! I can't wait. I am starting off by taking 60mg a day (2 20mg in the morning, and 1 20mg in the evening). I will update this throughout my treatment. Good luck everyone!

Ey dude. Dont be worried about the initial breakout. I had mine after a week and now I'm at by second week and it's clearing up.

A skiing trip will help, no joke, all that fresh air does wonders for the skin. Remember to wear suncream! :cool::cool:

And good luck

Woww that sucks big time.

I paid the equivalent of $13'ish for 8 weeks supply. Does it vary in price, according to your insurance provider? Or were u going to pay it out of your own pocket?

Either way, good luck!

DAY 1!!!

Finally got my accutane! Just popped my pills for the 1st time. (2 x 20mg in the AM, 1 x 20mg in the PM) For a total of 60mg daily. That seems like a high does to me, but who knows? Also can anyone give me warnings or advice on what I can expect in the near future as far as initial breakouts are concerned? That is my main worry...

Also, I tried to upload pictures, but I don't know how to upload them from Photobooth on my mac... Any suggestions? Thanks for your support, I'm going to need it! Good luck to everyone else as well!

Happy 2010

DAY 1!!!

Finally got my accutane! Just popped my pills for the 1st time. (2 x 20mg in the AM, 1 x 20mg in the PM) For a total of 60mg daily. That seems like a high does to me, but who knows? Also can anyone give me warnings or advice on what I can expect in the near future as far as initial breakouts are concerned? That is my main worry...

Also, I tried to upload pictures, but I don't know how to upload them from Photobooth on my mac... Any suggestions? Thanks for your support, I'm going to need it! Good luck to everyone else as well!

Happy 2010

Hi kevin! I started today and I'm also on 60mg. I'm SO nervous about the high dosage as well. Hopefully it'll all work out for the best!

I uploaded my "start" photos directly to the post, under the attachments section below the post text box. I know you can also create an album somewhere under "My Controls" up top.

Good luck!

wow i am really surprised that you were started out at 60mg a day. that seems a little high for your first month because i thought it was supposed to be a gradual increase up to 60 or 80mg. your derm went to med school, not me, so he knows what he's doing! i just finished up my first month the other day and i definitely had the IB. it was like all my blackheads were becoming pimples, and then once the pimples went away, no more blackheads. my chin used to be full of them, but after my IB i only have a couple. my IB was strange, it started on my chin for a week, moved up to my cheek for another week, then the 3rd week i had it on my forehead. hopefully yours wont be like that. the advice my derm gave me about the IB was that it usually only gets as bad as your skin has been at its worst. so whatever your really bad breakouts are like, your IB will typically be like that. hope this helps you!

Here are my day 1 pictures, finally figured out how to up load. Right now I have probably 10 actives, and countless more red marks.... Hopefully I will be clear by summer time! Thanks for all the support

post-119050-1262394245_thumb.jpg

post-119050-1262394253_thumb.jpg

post-119050-1262394259_thumb.jpg

post-119050-1262394245_thumb.jpg

post-119050-1262394253_thumb.jpg

post-119050-1262394259_thumb.jpg

DAY 2!

I'm 100% clear! (In my dreams)

Well it's day two, and I have noticed some changes. Im on 60mg a day so I'm guessing that I will breakout sooner than normal and bring all the other tane effects with it. So far, I have kinda dry lips / face. Nothing some lotion and lip balm can't handle. I have also noticed a few new pimples come up out of nowhere! some even came to a head and went away (its only been 24 hours!). Hopefully the breakout isn't horrible. Well in other news, I am going on a ski trip for the next week so I won't be able to update this blog... But in 1 week hopefully I will be reporting good things, wish me luck!

DAY 9!

Well I just got back from a ski trip and am excited that the past week flew by! I am now 9 days into my accutane treatment (60mg / day). So far my only side effects are:

-moderatly dry lips

-barely dry skin

- barely dry eyes

- slightly sore lower back

-slightly worsening acne (face and chest)

I have never had pimples on my body, but in the past week I have had a few come up on my chest. Nothing too bad. As for my face, many on my existing pimples have come to a white head and areas of clear skin have began to slightly break out. Nothing too major right now (lets hope it stays that way), but my skin is to a point now where it can't get much worse than it already is. The way I look at it to stay positive is that it is a good thing my face is as bad as it is now. That way, when I am clear I will have some steller before and after pictures! I will continue to update this blog, and thanks to those who take the time to read this and leave comments. I hope this blog helps someone who is going on accutane in the future.

Day 11

I have some new things to report, and I have a few questions as well...

I think the initial breakout has arrived... in the last day, I have gotten 2 cysts (one below my lower lip, and the other in the crease on the left side of my noes). It is painful to open my mouth. My lips have also become VERY dry. I put aquaphor and lip balm on all the time, but they still feel tender and somewhat painful. The sides of my face are breaking out with moderately sized white heads, and so is the top/center of my forehead. It is very embarrassing, and I am trying to avoid certain people who I am not very close with.

My questions are:

How long dose the initial breakout typically last?

Will mine be worse because I am starting on a higher dose (60mg)

Is it typical to have an initial breakout as bad at the guy in this link?

http://mdlestat.blogs.com/ (google "accutane week by week pictures" and its the 1st one)

I have a interview for an internship the 2nd week of march. That will be week 9 & 10 for me. Will I have noticeable improvement by then???

Thanks so much for helping me out. Even if people don't respond to this blog, it is therapeutic to put all my progress down in writing. Have a great day

DAY 14 (end of week 2)

It is crazy to think that I am 1/10th of the way done with my treatment! I hope the next 18 weeks go by as fast as the first 2 have... The main side effects I have are:

-Dry lips

-occasional minor back pain

-dry facial skin

-minor IB

My IB has been clearing up in the past couple days, so I'm hoping that things will go uphill from here! I know a lot of people breakout for the majority of their treatment, but I am hoping that by some miracle that doesn't happen to me. I have been doing a pretty good job of not touching my face and popping pimples, which I think has really helped out. Anything that comes up usually goes away very fast. I have another big interview for a promotion coming up in 10 days.... I am really hoping that my skin is looking tolerable for that. Wish me luck! and I hope everyone else is having a good experience on accutane (just think, we will be clear soon!). Good luck everyone

You are going to look great after tane. Your skin looks a lot like mine did when I wasn't maintaining it. In all my photographs I was maintaining it though. However, if you want to see final results, and read about my journey I have a finished accutane journal with many pictures and what I went through. I am so happy with my results, and any of those nasty breaks out you get ARE going to be worth it. They won't feel like it, but keep the end result in mind. You'll be shocked. Just stay strong.

Thanks for the support! I checked out your pages and you sure have come a long way, thats awesome. I know what you mean about my skin looking unmaintained.... I have very mild acne before tazorac, and one I did that for 12 weeks my skin exploded with this crap! My derm told me that I could have developed an allergy for the drug that caused my skin to become irritated and horribly broken out. I can't wait to see accutane work its magic, Thanks again for the advice and support!

Here are a couple of bright sides for you to look at:

1. Accutane is basically the cure-all.

2. At least it's not acne conglobata.

I had a kind of similar experience. I was on Tazorac, but it wasn't the Tazorac that broke me out, it was stopping. Damn derm wouldn't give me any more because I moved. I'm excited for every person on here who is on Accutane, the side effects are well-worth it as long as you keep an optimistic view! I began month 3 yesterday, so you'll be hitting your halfway point around the time I finish, I'm looking forward to seeing your improvement!

Here are a couple of bright sides for you to look at:

1. Accutane is basically the cure-all.

2. At least it's not acne conglobata.

I had a kind of similar experience. I was on Tazorac, but it wasn't the Tazorac that broke me out, it was stopping. Damn derm wouldn't give me any more because I moved. I'm excited for every person on here who is on Accutane, the side effects are well-worth it as long as you keep an optimistic view! I began month 3 yesterday, so you'll be hitting your halfway point around the time I finish, I'm looking forward to seeing your improvement!

Thanks for the support! How is your skin doing now? What changes can I expect over the next 10 weeks or so? Thanks again!

Thanks for the support! How is your skin doing now? What changes can I expect over the next 10 weeks or so? Thanks again!

My confidence is coming back, which is a good thing. I'm not entirely happy with the state of my skin, but I'm increasingly discovering that I'm no longer bothered by it, at least, not as much. My Accutane log is in my sig, so if you want to pop by there and take a look at some befores and currents, they're in there.

Day 16

In the last 48 hours there has been some changes. My chin has cleared up, but now around my noes and cheeks are breaking out with white heads. I wish I could fast-forward the next 18 weeks... I can't wait to see the end result, but with so many big things coming up in the next 2 weeks with job interviews, meeting people, etc, it is hard. Most college freshman are hoping these days never end, and I'm hoping that they will just speed up! Oh well, just have to stay positive and optimistic. There are people out there worse off who should be complaining, not me. Have a great day everyone!

DAY 21! (3 weeks done!) :dance:

It really feels like i just started accutane yesterday... Time flies! Unfortunately, my skin still looks like i started yesterday. Oh well, I was expecting my skin to be bad for the first 12 weeks, so i'm prepared. I want to update everyone on what my skin is like, and the side effects i am experiencing.

Skin: I woke up around 8am to grab some food an my skin was feeling pretty smooth and good. After I ate, I took my 40mg pill and went back to bed. (the beauty of no Thursday classes!). I woke up at 1 only to find that I am having another breakout... the side of my neck just below my jawline are breaking out with about 6 small cysts. My checks are still red and only slightly broken out (getting better). It is my forehead that broke out in the past few hours... It was starting to clear up pretty well, just a few red marks. But now i have 2 or 3 clusters of 3 pimples. They have come up extremely fast, and i'm hoping that means that they will be gone by the end of today, or tomorrow morning. My skin looks horrible, probably the worst it has ever been. But I am VERY excited to see how my skin clears in the next 17 weeks. Being a college freshman, the no drinking thing is really really difficult. But i havent drank at all since being on the tane. Also, I have a big promotion interview at my summer job on sunday. I really hope they don't judge me based on my skin. I wish i could explain to them that I will be 100% clear by the time the job starts, but that is not really something you bring up. Oh well, hopefully they don't judge me for my acne.

Side effects:

-Slightly dry facial skin

-VERY dry lips (use aquaphor and lip balm a couple times every hour)

-Minor lower back pain

-More breaking out than usual

-Break out with cysts (I NEVER got those before)

I hope everyone else is doing well with treatment, and I will update pictures next week when i hit the 1 month mark. Ill probably update pictures at the end of every month. Ok good luck everyone, clear skin is on its way!

Hey Kevin, sorry to hear that your skin is at it's worst, but you have a great attitude! I also keep telling myself that in a month or two I'll start seeing results and have to stay positive because of that!

Day 25

Not too much to write about. My skin is about the same that it was a few days ago. I went to the hospital today to get my blood work done..... That is never fun, but you got to do what you got to do, right? haha. I have my derm appointment on Thursday, and I am interested to see what he does as far as my dosage is concerned for the second month. I'll keep you posted!

DAY 28! (end of week 4, month 1)

Well the first month of accutane has come and gone, and I will admit that it went by FAST! The initial breakout was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be (But that may be because my face was & still is looking pretty crappy). Today was my month 1 dermatologist appointment, and I found out some interesting things about my treatment. My derm told me that I will continue taking 60mg / day for the entirety of my accutane course. He said that if my skin isn't perfect my the end of month 4, then we will bump up to 80mg but it is unlikely. That makes me really happy, because it will give me the dose I need to keep acne away for good, and i will not breakout every month when my dose is increased! My doctor also told me that he sees improvement in my skin. I don't see it, but he said that the majority of my face is red marks and no longer actually acne. He said this will start to fade in the next few months. I am excited to be on my way to clear skin, and I can't wait to see what the next month will bring! I ask my doctor about drinking (my birthday is in a few weeks, and I want to go out to the bars) and he said that drinking is 100% okay. He just warned me not to drink right before my next blood test, and that I should avoid getting blackout drunk. He said a rule of thumb is to stop at about 5 beers (works for me!). Overall I am really excited now that I have had someone tell me that my skin is going in the right direction. I can't wait for May when this is all over, and I am clear! Good luck to everyone!

PS- I will try and upload some 1 month progress pictures in the next couple days.

Time for MONTH 2!