Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So.. hellooo. After checking this site almost daily for three months I have finally decided to start my own blog. I'm having a tough time with my accutane right now and I could use the support of this community.

About myself- I am 21 years old, I have had acne since I was 14. Throughout the years I have been on every antibotic and every topical and nothing has ever worked for me. Two years ago my derm wanted to put me on accutane, I freaked out at the side effects and didn't go back to see her for 2 years. Over the summer, my boyfriend of 6 years broke up with me and my face exploded. I decided it was time to get on accutane. In Sept I went back to the derm and once again got scared of the side effects, and she put me on Spiralactone (sp?) for 2 months. It didn't work out and I decided to brave accutane.

I took my first pill Nov 30, I'm on day 25. I HATE accutane already. The first 2 weeks I had severe back pain, but that has subsided. Right now, I have horrible cysts on my forehead and chin. I have gotten cysts before, but usually one at a time. I have never had 5 at once. I also have these strange small bumps all along both sides of my mouth from my lips down to my jawline. The look like they could be whiteheads beneath the surface or something. Anyway, it's Christmas Eve, and I was at my cousin's house and he took a picture of me. I have about 5 pounds of makeup on, which I thought was cleverly masking my huge breakout. When he showed me the picture, I was shocked to see how bad my skin looked. When I was at church tonight talking to a family friend, I could see him staring at my breakout along the side of my mouth. Whenever I talk to my brother, I can see his eyes scanning my face looking over all my blemishes. I'm really getting sick of this.

I would like some advice from people who are past the 25 day mark. How long has everyone's IB lasted? Do you have another IB when your dosage is increased? Oh, and I'm on 30mg a day. Seems kind of low compared to what I am seeing on here. Also, I have seen a few people talk about putting neosporin on their pimples at night. What kind of pimples does that help, cysts or just zits?

Since I am on this site almost daily checking everyone else's blogs, I am sure I'll be posting on the reg. Have a good Christmas everyone!

hey there, i'm on day 42 i think... i think the worst i've had was 7 whiteheads along my cheek/jawline. then after that i just get 3-4 new ones each day. around that time of the month i get the same huge cysts that are depressing. i've used polysporin on zits that i've picked but they still scab and look bad. take fish oil for the back pain, it's an overall good thing to take, accutane or not. but i think of the breakouts as a good thing because it's clearing gunk out.

however i do have to say how i know exactly how you feel - i used to think the makeup helped but it just hides my red bumpy skin. and i hate, hate, HATE when people stare at my face along my jawline. i feel humiliated. i wonder all the time what they're looking at because i thought the makeup would cover it.

grade2syndrome- did you get another IB when your dosage was increased (assuming your doasge has increased)? I keep getting whiteheads all over my face as well. I'll have a nasty painful cyst for about a week, and then one morning I'll wake up to a huge whitehead. I can't help but pop them.

This morning, i woke up to one of the three cysts on my forehead changing into a whitehead. I'm going to take a REALLY hot shower and try to see if it pops itself. My skin is not as dry as it has been... but my lips are still really dry. I feel like cetaphil isn't removing all my makeup at night before I go to bed. Last night I examined my face in the bright lights of my bathroom after I had washed my face, and still saw foundation on my forehead. What do you use to remove makeup?

I didn't increase my dosage but i did switch brands, and i noticed different sude effects (rash on hands). i pop my whiteheads too, especially the big ones. i'd rather have a flat scab then a high mound on my face. no thank you.

i put baking soda in my cetaphil every night to remove my makeup. i agree, cetaphil just isn't enough to remove make up. sometimes i have to do two cycles to get it all off though, my makeup sticks to my face.

I just posted this as a new topic by accident! Sorry! I'm still getting used to thoese message boards... I was really confused when I first set it up and I'm slowly getting the hang. They should make it a little more user friendly.

I woke up this morning with two nice, painful cysts on each cheek. Lovely. My nose has been fuzzy for about a week now, I'm still waiting for those blackheads to completely come out. I can't wait til this IB is over and I start to see some improvement. I have an appt with my derm thursday, hopefully she increases my dosage because 30mg sounds low. COME ON 4 MONTH MARK!

Day 26:

The first time in 26 days that I have woken up with out any whiteheads or pimples sprouting overnight!! I can't even believe it. Maybe my IB is over?? I still have those painful cysts that hurt when I am sleeping and lay on either side of my face. I did get a pimple in my eyebrow when I woke up from my nap yesterday, but it's not visible so I don't mind.

On another note, I plan on cleaning out my entire room today. This may take a while. I'm going to take the clothes I don't wear to a consignment shop and try to make some money.

Day 31

my skin is finally starting to clear up!! yeah, just in time for my derm appt tomorrow where she will probably increase my dosage and i'll end up having another IB. that's ok though because my first month is OVER and i am one month closer to clear skin!

for some reason, the other day i got about 5 cysts on my forehead, somewhere i have never gotten cysts before. i popped them all yesterday and they bled. hopefully they don't leave any scars.

my skin hasn't been dry lately, which is strange. i usually get extremely dry skin in the winter, and then with the addition of accutane it was worse. in the last 2 weeks the dryness has subsided on my face and it is pretty much just my lips.

Day 31

my skin is finally starting to clear up!! yeah, just in time for my derm appt tomorrow where she will probably increase my dosage and i'll end up having another IB. that's ok though because my first month is OVER and i am one month closer to clear skin!

for some reason, the other day i got about 5 cysts on my forehead, somewhere i have never gotten cysts before. i popped them all yesterday and they bled. hopefully they don't leave any scars.

my skin hasn't been dry lately, which is strange. i usually get extremely dry skin in the winter, and then with the addition of accutane it was worse. in the last 2 weeks the dryness has subsided on my face and it is pretty much just my lips.

Hello!

your accutane journey sounds a lot like what i went through. i finshed about 4 months ago and my skin is clear now except for an occasional pimple. my dry skin during accutane subsided after a couple of weeks too. i think its normal cause ive heard from lots of people who experienced it too. anyways its great your skin's clearing up! :) It will get worse before it gets better and it sounds like youre past youre IB now. yay!

Hi ocean27- that is awesome that your skin is clear now.. I can't wait until I can say that!

I went to the derm today and they upped my dosage to 40mg.. she said my optimal dosage is 60mg but they aren't going to put me on that until I stop having flare ups. That sounds kind of strange, but whatever. I got that weird rash on my hands, she said it was called something dermatitis. Turns out I have been taking my pregnancy tests off schedule and my derm has been fudging my test dates in the ipledge system so that it will let me get my prescription. After I'm done this 30 day pack of clavaris, I will not have any pills for a week so that I can get back on schedule and start taking my pregnancy tests at the correct time. I can't stand ipledge, this is ridiculous. I understand why it's there but I still hate it. Do guys have to deal with all this stuff or is it just the females? I asked my derm about alcohol and accutane, she said that I don't need to stop drinking but I should minimize it as to minimize the affects on my liver. So my new plan is to not take a pill on the days when I plan to drink. I'm not sure if this will do anything, but it will make me feel better about myself hahaha

Hi ocean27- that is awesome that your skin is clear now.. I can't wait until I can say that!

I went to the derm today and they upped my dosage to 40mg.. she said my optimal dosage is 60mg but they aren't going to put me on that until I stop having flare ups. That sounds kind of strange, but whatever. I got that weird rash on my hands, she said it was called something dermatitis. Turns out I have been taking my pregnancy tests off schedule and my derm has been fudging my test dates in the ipledge system so that it will let me get my prescription. After I'm done this 30 day pack of clavaris, I will not have any pills for a week so that I can get back on schedule and start taking my pregnancy tests at the correct time. I can't stand ipledge, this is ridiculous. I understand why it's there but I still hate it. Do guys have to deal with all this stuff or is it just the females? I asked my derm about alcohol and accutane, she said that I don't need to stop drinking but I should minimize it as to minimize the affects on my liver. So my new plan is to not take a pill on the days when I plan to drink. I'm not sure if this will do anything, but it will make me feel better about myself hahaha

Hey. I started the same day as you :) What you should do is the week before the week you'll have no pills take a pill every other day so you're not a week without your pills.

day 33

so i started on 40 mg yesterday and i have had a headache ever since. i don't know if it's because of the accutane or if i would have gotten one anyway. at this point i'm not going to blame anything on the accutane because then my mom will freak out and try to convince me to stop taking it. i put some after sun aloe lotion on my hands where i got that rash.. hopefully that will help. my derm said to use anything thick on it like vaseline, but this is a pretty thick lotion.

i asked her about drinking while on accutane and she seemed like she didn't like the idea. she said accutane puts so much pressure on your liver that you really shouldn't be doing anything else to make it worse. ugh. so i'm going to limit my barhopping to one night a week... and try to keep it at a 6 drink max. sucks!

my face right now only has actives on my forehead, but i got about 3 deep cysts overnight that i can feel but haven't started to come up. the main problem with my skin now is all the redness. it's red in areas where my IB was, and where previous cysts have been. The cyst goes away, but a red mark stays for about 6 months, I HATE IT!

so i woke up today and my skin was definitely redder than it has been lately. my forehead has a lot of redness to it, and so does my chin. i'm getting two cysts on my chin that are very painful, but still underneath the surface. i popped a couple whiteheads on my forehead that are now tiny scabs.

i noticed that i was wearing the wrong color concealer. i bought this really good kind from sephora that covers up my red marks beautifully, but it was just too dark. i purchased it in august, so i went back yesterday with out the reciept and asked for an exchange. they let me change it out for a lighter shade. awesome! i was worried i'd have to spend another $30 on new concealer. sephora has excellent make up that really works on my sensitive skin and hasn't given me a breakout.

ohh my goshhh... has anyone gotten the rash on the back of their hands? mine is SO bad it burns and is creeping up my wrist up my arm. has anyone had this and how did they get rid of it? it was so painful having the hot water in the shower touch it this morning. HELP!

sephora is great. i love their return policy.

as for the rash on the hands, i bought some OTC hydrocortisone cream (called cortate) and that took care of the rash. then i made sure to moisturize (using Eucerin). Then it kinda died down but left a lot of dead skin so i exfoliate quite a bit and continue to moisturize. while i had the rash, the hair stopped growing, but it's slowly growing back now so i know it's getting better.

so don't worry, the rash is not permanent.

grade2syndrome- thanks for the advice i am definitely going to try that cream.

i have 2 painful whiteheads- one in my eyebrow and one on my chin- that kept waking me up last night when they would press against my pillow. ughhhh. but the good news is i'm getting less actives and the marks on my face are really just red marks from pimples that are fading.

ive been skipping out a couple pills because i've been drinking more than i should lately. bad idea to start accutane during my first year of legally being able to drink. i should have gotten this over with before i turned 21!

ohh my goshhh... has anyone gotten the rash on the back of their hands? mine is SO bad it burns and is creeping up my wrist up my arm. has anyone had this and how did they get rid of it? it was so painful having the hot water in the shower touch it this morning. HELP!

I got rashes all over my hands and arms during my first course. I've prevented it this time around by moisturising my arms twice a day and moisturising my hands about 5-6 times during the day.

i found that slathering on after sun aloe lotion by banana boat has made the rash on my hands go away! i slept with my make up on the other night by accident and it turned all the cysts on my face into white heads. white heads are much more manageable, so i'm happy with that. i saw on someone else's log that those tiny skin colored bumps are called milia... does anyone know if accutane makes these go away? i have them on either side of my mouth and it doesnt seem like any of them have went away since ive been on accutane. i have three cysts on my cheeks which is so frustrating. they are painful to the touch and are really stressing me out!

Hey everyone... someone I work with just told me that her friend took accutane 10 years ago and developed crohn's disease and they found a link between the two and now she's going through a lawsuit. My doctor never mentioned anything about this to me... did anyone else hear about this?

Hey everyone... someone I work with just told me that her friend took accutane 10 years ago and developed crohn's disease and they found a link between the two and now she's going through a lawsuit. My doctor never mentioned anything about this to me... did anyone else hear about this?

I have honestly never heard of this side effect, so I'd say it's likely a very very rare one.

the rash on my hands went away! i have a lot of dark redness on my face and a good amount of whiteheads, but i feel pretty good about my face right now. i can't wait until this month is over and my dosage is increased to my optimal dose and i can finally stop breaking out and just clear up. what is the typical amount of time on accutane when you start seeing ONLY improvements and no more breakouts?

the rash on my hands went away! i have a lot of dark redness on my face and a good amount of whiteheads, but i feel pretty good about my face right now. i can't wait until this month is over and my dosage is increased to my optimal dose and i can finally stop breaking out and just clear up. what is the typical amount of time on accutane when you start seeing ONLY improvements and no more breakouts?

For me it was month 3. There was actually a very drastic difference between my second and third month.

i don't get it... my face cleared up so well last week and then all of a sudden i woke up yesterday morning with about ten cysts all around my mouth!! what the heckkk and then i woke up this morning with pimples on my temples, a place where i have NEVER gotten a pimple before. my skin is no longer dry at all, neither are my lips, and my hand rash went away. maybe this means that i need a higher dose? my appointment isnt for another 3 weeks. i will put up some pictures soon so everyone can see what i'm talking about. it just seems ridiculous to me to be in the middle of my second month and still experiencing horrible cystic breakouts.

i don't get it... my face cleared up so well last week and then all of a sudden i woke up yesterday morning with about ten cysts all around my mouth!! what the heckkk and then i woke up this morning with pimples on my temples, a place where i have NEVER gotten a pimple before. my skin is no longer dry at all, neither are my lips, and my hand rash went away. maybe this means that i need a higher dose? my appointment isnt for another 3 weeks. i will put up some pictures soon so everyone can see what i'm talking about. it just seems ridiculous to me to be in the middle of my second month and still experiencing horrible cystic breakouts.

The same thing happened to me! I woke up this morning and BAM, cysts all over my cheek.

The same thing happened to me! I woke up this morning and BAM, cysts all over my cheek.

ugh! so annoying!! and i made the mistake of sleeping out last night after i went to the bar. whenever i sleep out i always sleep with all my makeup on because i don't want anyone to see me in the morning sans makeup. but usually, whenever i sleep with all my makeup on, i wake up the next morning with at least 5 whiteheads. which, happened this morning. i'm getting real impatient with this accutane! my skin has never looked this bad in my life.

pill # 49

my face actually looks really good today! a lot of redness from pimples that i had a few days ago but nothing too bad. i only have 11 pills left and my next appointment is in 15 days so i'm gonna have to go a few days with out. i really hope the doctor increases my dosage to 60mg/day because i have no more dryness and no more side effects so i think this dosage is too low for me. i dyed my hair today and saw what some people said about their scalp burning. anyone watch jersey shore?!? seaon finale tonight!