Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iRyRy

Why are my eyes so dry?

i have started taking 50mg of Zinc last week but for the past 2 days I have been taking 100mg a day. I have also stopped taking Fish Oil supplements, when I used to take 4 a day. Yesterday I started drinking green smoothies (spinach,apples,bananas). I also feel like I have a slight cold (running nose, sneezing).

What is causing my dry eyes? :confused:

i have started taking 50mg of Zinc last week but for the past 2 days I have been taking 100mg a day. I have also stopped taking Fish Oil supplements, when I used to take 4 a day. Yesterday I started drinking green smoothies (spinach,apples,bananas). I also feel like I have a slight cold (running nose, sneezing).

A two second look makes me think that it's taking 100mg of zing. 50mg is the daily max, so 100mg is poisonous.

A two second look makes me think that it's taking 100mg of zing. 50mg is the daily max, so 100mg is poisonous.

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure it's the zinc also, so I'm gonna cut back to 50mg and see what happens.

I agree with "max powers". I don't know if it's really causing your dry eyes problem, but zinc is considered a trace element. There's no way in hell that I would ever consider taking 100 mg a day, unless I were doing it under medical supervision, and for a very good documented purpose. Personally, I buy 50 mg tablets, then break them into quarters; then I take one of those quarters every other day or so, just for some nutritional "insurance".

Not sure about your case...but I recently went to an ophthalmologist for a routine visit and learned that my dry eyes (which I've always had but never did anything about, like use artificial tears) might share similar causes with my acne - namely, the inability of sebum to flow smoothly. Apparently, there are sebacious glands on the eyelids, called Meibomian glands. The sebum is supposed to prevent tears from evaporating quickly. When the sebum gets blocked in the glands, your tears evaporate, leaving you with dry eyes.

Out of curiosity: do acne sufferers here also suffer from chronic dry eyes?

I take 100mg a day. Not sure what you guys are talking about with the "poisonous" mumbo jumbo.

Omega 3's will help your dry eyes. Fish oil and Flax oil work great.

Edited by urineforasurprise