Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
klick

I Have A Dream...

G'day Peeps!

I thought I'd jot down some thoughts on my (Ro)accutane experience thus far...saves me from annoying my siblings with my tales of woe :ninja:

I started in late September and had the usual side affects - (very) dry lips, dry skin etc. Then around late October I got a cold/flu, sore throat and chest infection. Who'd have thought these and poppin them roaccutane pills would lead to a complete loss of voice+severe sore throat to the extent I thought I would stop breathing?? :redface:

So I stopped for a while. A fortnight ago my Derm told me my blood results were abnormal and that I'd have to stop...I wasn't very happy to be honest but they called back today to let me know that last week's re-test came back fine.

Apparently it's all good for me to re-start accutance asap!! Don't know whether that's good or bad news (after reading some post-accutane experiences) but the option is there...

Day 60

- Slightly dry skin

- Lips are fine/normal due to the 'break'

- One active spot which I've dabbed a bit of Savlon on

- Atrophic scarring . These were non-existent before accutane and were not the result of IB (which didn't even occur there!).

So basically I got deep scars everywhere from red marks which I had from early/mid Summer. That's the hardest bit to take and I struggle with it everyday. I've had acne on-off for the past decade but never any scars and now in three months left looking like a wreck. Accutane has helped with acne, no doubt whatsover, but my only concern all these years was the prevention of scars (and red marks).

Anyway I've decided whilst writing this to take pills 268, 269 & 270. Hopefully I can look back in six months or even a year and say what a bloody good decision that was :dance:

Edited by klick

Day 62

- Slightly dry skin

- Lips are still fine/normal

- The active spot has now be rendered inactive but a dark mark remains.

I've been looking at some of the logs and have been wondering why I never experienced an initial breakout as such, well not to the same extent (and not that I want one ***fingers crossed***).

I would count myself lucky but it went from moderate-severe acne --> scarring (boxcar, icepick & rolling) straight away. That confuses me lol.

Details

143 lbs

60mg daily

Edited by klick

Day 65

- Skin has lost dryness and feels greasier - very confused!

- Lips are still fine/normal

- Dark mark remains.

So another day of confusion - not only has my skin, especially on the back of my hands regained its normal texture (i.e. not dry), my face does not feel dry either. I'm not even using moisturiser or lip balm.

What the hell? Also it looks like the volume of my hair has reduced :-( I mean there's no strands falling off but it feels really 'flat'. In the last two hours, I've had slight tingling sensations on two/three toes and dull ache in my limbs. I'm putting all the above down as paranoia or a freak occurence. I'm worried that the enforced "breaks" have messed up my whole treatment.

Did anyone have the above symptoms duing their treatment? ANyone?

Day 68

No change at all. The freaky tingling of the toes stopped thankfully.

My lips are more dry (is it sad that I'm happy? At least I know accutane is working again wahey).

That reminds me, my derm actually apologised on behalf of her junior (who ages ago told me that I would have very minimal scarring if any since my acne was moderate etc)

Anyway,I'm going to limit my visits, if not stop browsing this website for a little while unless its urgent. It is/has been an invaluable source of info, help etc. However, I was feeling crap about my skin beforehand and now I feel 100x worse lol esp with indented scars cropping up everywhere. I dealt with acne, went about my daily life & have done pretty cool things, all with a smile on my face. But scars? I always knew that would be some diff. shizzle.

It's not all gloom and doom though, had the best convo in ages recently, something I was told lifted my spirits. :D

A new outlook, a new day, a new year and a new decade. Good luck y'all!!

Day 81

So I went to the Derm recently and was given my last four weeks worth of Roacctuance. So this time next month, I shall be finished! My derm wants to take me off after less than three months because of the potential damage it could do to my liver.

I would love to say I'm excited but I haven't seen any side effects since mid-lateish December. My lips are slightly dry but that happens in this cold winter weather. Oh yeah, I've started losing hair in the past fortnight, A LOT of it. Other than that, all is well. Being totally honest, acne is not a problem right now so accutane has most def helped. I would recommend it.

But I would love to lose the PIH and scars asap. I've decided to drastically improve my diet aswell and sleep A LOT after I'm done. Then I'll give it six months and head to Hammersmith l for some dermarolling. Come to think of it, I had the initial option of going to Dr Chu's Dept for this treatment but I picked a hospital that was closer. Plus I had no idea who he was.

I have realised something over the past few weeks - that my acne in the months prior to starting roaccutane was worse than I probably thought. It's just that the mirrors in my bedroom and bathroom make my skin look, well.....decent. They always have done lol. But then nowadays, when I look under the bright Kitchen lights, well it accenutates every minor flaw!. There's no way I can get myself out of the habit of avoiding mirrors now. That's the only downside of roaccutane, perhaps I expcted too much and as a result became VERY self-concious. :ninja: Has nyone had the same problem?

Day 84

I've now got two little pock marks on my face, either side of my nose. No spots, scars or blemishes there before. I wanted acne to disappear not my good skin.

FML.

Day 101

Yay! Just over the 100 day mark. Feeling very good, not so much from what I'm seeing, but a mindset change. I guess my weakness was seeing transformations on this website from very bad acne to a clear face with no scars and using that as a basis for what would happen to me. But we're not all the same and so lucky lol. Anyyyyways, I've got too much to lose from whingeing, self-conciousness and a perpetuating cycle of self-misery lol. Day 66 marked that change!

Skin wise - Two spots in 30 days, not bad. Lips have become dry in recent days. I have tons of scars (indented) and same goes for the PIH (red marks) but I hope the latter start fading soon.

My last day will be this time next week which is Day 108. Hopefully a short couse doesn't mean the acne will return with a vengeance. Currently thinking of raising my dosage to 80mg from 60mg for the last few days. Don't think it'll help but y'know psychologically it'll make me feel better haha

:D

Day 111

Skin wise - No spots etc Lips are dry, not more than without accutane but I have the awful habit of licking my lips especially in this cold weather! Scars/PIH obviously have remained but I feeeeel gooood, and didn't know I would. Just getting on with it.

So I went to the Derm on monday and was told I have one month left? <confused>

I'm glad the treatment was extended to nearly five months as I feel it would be beneficial in the long term by preventing the return of the dreaded acne.

Oooh Derm, wiz zese Roche you are really spoiling us...

Edited by klick

Day 122

Skin wise - No spots etc Lips are dry but now using a combination of carmex and aquaphor. All is well! Oh actually, I've been getting very red eyes over the past week - looked like I was really stoned.

However, I feel that my skin progress is regressing, it looks more dull and lifeless than it did two weeks ago, scars and marks are more pronounced....I really should get to bed earlier and get more sleep.

Edited by klick

Hi! Just stumbled across your log. If you're having scarring issues, ask your derm about using Tazorac a few months after your course is over. It'll help regenerate your skin faster and fade any scarring. Goodluck finishing up!

Day 135

Tired, Tired, Tired. It's a Sunday and I woke up at 8am. My body alarm clock suucccks.

Skin wise - no spots but scarring has become veyr prominent again, it's like my skin is trying to purge itself.

Effects - skin has gone very dry again, lips are dry but nothing like late 09. eyes are red, dry and sore, my body aches as though I've been used as a couch. Nevertheless, I feel very good.

Sleeping eight hours instead of my 5hrs would make a massive difference to my life. :ninja:

8 Days to go!!

FashionJunkie - Thanks for that advice. My derm has told me she'll give me Retin-A but I'll ask about Tazorac aswell.

Day 143

Today is my last day...was supposed to be my last day.

Turned up at the Derm clinic, oh the doctor is on holiday :eh: That's not right, I'm frustrated...

Oh...my day/time slot doesn't even exist, it's a "ghost" appointment....because the receptionist made a cock-up... :wall::angry::evil: Oh and guess what? My derm isn't coming back til April so Ithe only alternative is to see another one tomorrow afternoon...which clashes with a prior arranged commitment that I now have to cancel.

I've tried my best to keep the F's, B's, I's and C's (expletives) out of the above paragraph. Now'll I'll go and rant elsewhere (the real world). It's beyond a joke.

DONE

So accutane is all done and dusted. Now I just sit and pray that a) acne doesn't come back b) my scarr-ed up face recovers over the next few months c) red marks/hyperpgimentation fade

Accutane has been blessing and a curse.

The positive - no spots in a long while.

The negative - From one pock mark since first getting spots (a decade +) to tons (and I mean loads, no exaggeration) in the first 6 weeks. I didn;t really have an IB either so it can't be blamed on that.

Today is just one of those shitty days everyone has, will be back on form tomorrow.

EDIT: Just looked at some 'progress' pics, my skin has actually regressed over the past 6 weeks. It's very blotchy now.

Edited by klick