Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nafan

what fish oil did to me :(

so i been hearing alot of people on this thread talking about how fish oil can help with my acne. So i decided to go out and buy it. after 3 days of taking it i had 3 big cyst poppin up which i never ever had durin my acne broke out. i thought to my self could it be the fish oil so i decided to stop it for over a month and see what happens, within that month i had no cystic acne what so ever. So i decided to go out and buy a more expensive brand of fish oil, i drop it and within 2 days i broke out with 3 big cysts again, but why i thought it would help me. After doing research on fish oil on acne.org reviews some people even broke out in cyst aswell so i know iam not alone. But why ? is there anyone else who experienced this.

Yer i know huh thats why i bouht it in the first place, but still got no explanation to why its doin this, from the reviews over 4 people had bad experiences like this.

You could try hemp oil instead. I have the same reaction to fish and flax oil, but hemp oil is fine.

wow- this exact thing happened to me! Over the summer I tried Carlson's Lemon flavor fish oil (natural lemon flavoring). My skin became oilier and I got three cysts on my right cheek. It was the worst breakout I had since accutane 4 years ago. I am now on accutane again and staying away from all nutritional oils- fish/flax/evening primrose/borage. Don't think my body needs or wants them. I try and get my nutrition from whole foods instead of supplements.

The exact same thing happened to me. I took fish oil one time and the next morning I had the biggest breakout of my life. . I think it works for some but not for others - I'll always stay away from it now.

You guys might be having a hard time to convert it into a form in which the body can use. Try krill oil instead, much better and no converting needed its already in a form in which the body will utilize immediately.

That happened to me as well last year. I bought flaxseed capsules and fish oil capsules as I heard they were good for acne and would help clear the skin. I broke out in more cysts than ever during those times. I had been taking flaxseed prior to that for the same reason and stopped when I noticed I was getting more pimples that were way worse than I had, but the second time I decided to stick with it and wait as I thought they were cleansing out my skin, along with the fish oil and took them for about 2 months...but after that time you should see some difference not an increase in the problem. I stopped taking them and the cysts stopped coming. I still have a bit of the scars left to clear. I wonder why this happens to some of us and not others. I was also taking vitamin c at the time, which also, apparently, is supposed to help with acne. But uhm, my face only got worse.

Fish oil and flax oil does the same thing to me. Causes huge cysts that take forever to heal. But no surprise really: I've read hundreds of accounts on this board where people cite fish oil causing clogged pores or cysts. I think it's ridiculous how so much "theoretical evidence" is used to treat acne. But I guess people will try anything that might work.

To everyone who tried fish oil to cure acne and says it does not work...

Is this the only change you made? And, how much of a chance did you give fish oil? Fish oil is excellent for you and yes it is all about balance. You need to balance omega 3's with omega 6's. But, I don't think anyone should be concerned about getting too many omega 3's.

Also, while flax seed oil and hemp oil are great, they do not contain EPA and DHA that fish oil contains. We need EPA and DHA.

And, it seems as if Krill Oil is a better option then fish oil.

But, again, doing one thing, such as taking a fish oil supplement will not cure your acne!

Here is a nice analogy for you...

Say you are playing darts... what are your chances of hitting a bullseye by throwing one dart?

Ok, how about you throw 20 darts... aren't your chances much greater?

Do this with acne too. Don't just try taking a fish oil supplement. Do many things and improve your health in all areas. Avoid dairy, consume more antioxidants, try a green smoothie, eat lots more veggies, avoid all trigger foods, take a vitamin d3 supplement if your vitamin d3 levels are low (cold winters anyone?), exercise, get fresh air, lower your stress... it's not difficult to improve your lifestyle in all areas if you take baby steps.

That's my 2 cents in regards to people saying fish oil made there acne worse. I am not saying you did not get large cysts... I believe you. But, give it more of a chance maybe? And throw many darts at the dart board, not just 1.

well my acne was getting worst when i started trying fish oils. i also added in zinc, vit b complex and a couple of other stuff.

been a month + and it's still getting worst. i'm slowly reducing intake of my supps now.

Fish Oil did wonders for me..

I think it is responsible for me being basically almost oil free on my face..

I used to carry around those Clearsil Oil Sheets and had to absorb oil all day..

After about 2-3 months into using it (about 3 times a day with healthy foods.. because if you take fish oil with trans fat or fast food, then it basically cancels out the benefits)..

I don't even buy the sheets no more..

Edited by recoverme