Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, I've had acne for 6 years (I'm 19 now) and I am a Freshman in college. My acne is the worst on the sides of my chin, my forehead, and I have blackheads on my nose. I have tried over the counter Benzoyl peroxide (the Neutrogena on-the-spot and the Clean and Clear Persa Gel), I've tried the Obagi Treatments, and Clindamycin. None of it has worked and my acne is the worst it has been in 3 years and extremely persistent. There hasn't been a single day since it started when I have been completely clear (or even remotely close). I've been using JoJoba oil and trying to moisturize my skin back to normalcy after years of drying it out with all these products and even after weeks of doing nothing but moisturizing, my skin is still tight and gets flaky.

So, after all of this, I have decided to try a new dermatologist and am going to request to be put on Accutane. I don't consider myself to have severe acne but regardless, any type of acne is frustrating. I know it is for more severe cases, but i would consider mine to be moderate and worthy of some type of treatment other than these useless topicals.

So I came on here to ask for feedback/advice regarding this decision and if anyone has a similar situation to me or has had success with Accutane or another type of prescription. Please let me know, thanks!

Hey abc i know where your coming from and how frustrating it is, when you make an effort but the acne just keeps persisting and then shits on you by becoming worse. If you have tried everything, have no where else to turn, and are comfortable with the possible side effects of tane then go for it. Just dont forget all the bloodwork you need to do and the common reoccurrence of acne post-treatment, but chances are it will work. If your derm decides that you dont need it then he will probs prescribe anything from:

Azaelic acid- Ide go for Azelex or finacea

topical antibiotics- Ide go for Klaron

retinoids- retin a/mirco, tazorac, differin, ziana, isotrex

oral antibiotics- bactrim, mino, solodyn e.t.c

combination therapy- things like Duac and epiduo

In my experience no topical has ever worked apart from Dan's regimen which is definitely worth a shot before tane. But yer its your choice and if your just sick of OTC products and want some reprieve i suggest some oral treatment like antibiotics with one of the above topicals until you make a decision bout tane. Hope you can get some use from this ramble and merry christmas! Gook luck :angel:

Edited by AussieSmile

Thanks for your response. I've done a lot of research the past few weeks because every since I came to college, my acne has really flared up and it's just a hassle. I've noticed that I'm really not a typical accutane candidate and that I've never had cystic acne and it's always been fairly contained. I'm just tired of having to go through the daily and nightly routine of tending to new pimples, applying whatever creams, and moisturizing the ridiculously dry skin. I figure a year of dry skin on Accutane will be worth it.

There are several things holding me back:

I don't want my acne to get any worse-NO cysts and no spreading. I'm hoping I don't get too severe of an IB

Also, I'm at college so I won't be able to constantly see my dermatologist but I'm assuming I can get blood tests on campus? I'm not sure.

Also, does anyone know/think that Accutane will work quicker with a more moderate case or is it basically the same duration?

I would not even bother with topicals anymore. If they haven't helped after 6 years, they won't help now.

Perhaps the problem is internal like candida overgrowth of something. I have personal success with naturopaths rather then with dermatologists.

But yeah, if nothing works, Accutane would be the way to go

I don't think it's Candida Overgrowth because I'm not a girl and in my research I found that that was a yeast infection lol. Anyway, I'm going to a new dermatology office on Monday and I'm going to tell them my situation. My last derm who i was going to said my case wasn't severe enough to warrant accutane and he prescribed me the same things that didn't work the last time I saw him. Anyway, I'm going to request Accutane and I've read all the side effects, I just don't know if it'll be feasible since I'm away at school and need routine checkups and blood tests.

Has anyone been on Accutane where they've been away at school or far from home? Also, has anyone used Accutane for a more mild/moderate condition? Please let me know your advice/feedback/experiences. Thanks!

I don't think it's Candida Overgrowth because I'm not a girl and in my research I found that that was a yeast infection lol. Anyway, I'm going to a new dermatology office on Monday and I'm going to tell them my situation. My last derm who i was going to said my case wasn't severe enough to warrant accutane and he prescribed me the same things that didn't work the last time I saw him. Anyway, I'm going to request Accutane and I've read all the side effects, I just don't know if it'll be feasible since I'm away at school and need routine checkups and blood tests.

Has anyone been on Accutane where they've been away at school or far from home? Also, has anyone used Accutane for a more mild/moderate condition? Please let me know your advice/feedback/experiences. Thanks!

Lol Candida Overgrowth has nothing to do with gender. I had candida and I'm a guy.

In this case, Yeast Infection means yeast as in digestion/food.