Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brissyguy

Spirulina + Caste Tree? (// Saw Palmetto?)

What's the deal with Spirulina? I'm seeing it advertised on tv more now, and I've seen various products. However I think only people that look into health (eg use) would know about it. There hasn't been much research and I can't even find a picture of the actual plant.

Chaste tree: Hormones have long been implicated in the cause and treatment of acne. The menstrual cycle being a large indicator if there is imbalance in the hormonal system. If there is pain, irregularity, moodiness, PMT, clotting, cyclic break-outs etc, it can be considered to be an indicator of hormonal imbalance. Chaste tree is a herb used for both male and female acne which has a hormonal regulating effect. It is not suitable if you are pregnant or taking contraceptives.

I've also read up on Saw Palmetto but altering hormones sounds a little dodgy to me and I've read some good results and some bad ones.

Anyone given any of these a try? Which works best. I just read up on the chaste tree today. Sounds interesting.

What's the deal with Spirulina? I'm seeing it advertised on tv more now, and I've seen various products. However I think only people that look into health (eg use) would know about it. There hasn't been much research and I can't even find a picture of the actual plant.

Chaste tree: Hormones have long been implicated in the cause and treatment of acne. The menstrual cycle being a large indicator if there is imbalance in the hormonal system. If there is pain, irregularity, moodiness, PMT, clotting, cyclic break-outs etc, it can be considered to be an indicator of hormonal imbalance. Chaste tree is a herb used for both male and female acne which has a hormonal regulating effect. It is not suitable if you are pregnant or taking contraceptives.

I've also read up on Saw Palmetto but altering hormones sounds a little dodgy to me and I've read some good results and some bad ones.

Anyone given any of these a try? Which works best. I just read up on the chaste tree today. Sounds interesting.

i have been taking vitex (chaste tree berry) for just over 6 months now. i started seeing results within the first month of taking it and improved results after i switched to Thompsons Vitex 1000mg capsules. not only has it helped to clear my cystic acne, it has also helped to greatly improve PMT symptoms, including clearing any pre menstrual breast pain, depression, and moodiness. i take it first thing in the morning everyday. i love the stuff and wished i would have know about it 2 years ago.

Edited by kiwi_kazoo

Im a guy so dont take my word for it but as far as hormonal acne goes, PMT, e.t.c, vitex ( also known as chaste tree and agnus castus) can help but i heard it can take up to a few months. Ide suggest giving B6 and evening primrose oil a go, theres a massive thread about it with a few people having success.

Best way to describe spirulina is that its like an all natural multi vitamin derived from an algae or something in the ocean. I tried it for a while but yer, zip improvement. If you do try it go for the powder, its like a deep green and quite expensive. Hope this helps and good luck!

Yeah, the Spirulina powder, it's expensive but I haven't really heard alot about it except that it's got a lot of nutrients.

I'm taking zinc, b5, B complex, colostrum, multivitamin and milk thistle supplements at the moment so that should help. How much B6 should I take? Because I heard somewhere you're not meant to take over a certain amount and I'm pretty sure I take about 100mg a day with all my supplements combined.

Kiwi, I'm so glad it worked for you. Thompsons Vitex 1000mg okay, I'll remember it. Although, I'm not sure of the effects it would have on males?

From what ive read, B6 is generally used by females to assist hormonal monthly breakouts at 50 mg a day. Since your a guy im not sure if this would benefit you. Ive tried a lot of supplements to balance hormones and just help acne in general. Best advice i could give is fish oil, a good source of GLA, vit A with B2 and a ton load of cruciferous greens or just go with a DIM sup. Interesting part is that while i was testing out all these supplements and more, my acne got worse. Just make sure your not going backwards like iodine in your multi or depleting your other b vits if your mega dosing b5. Good luck and remember colostrum will make your body better effectively absorb these sups so you might want to watch the dosing. Have a good christmas!

Kiwi, I'm so glad it worked for you. Thompsons Vitex 1000mg okay, I'll remember it. Although, I'm not sure of the effects it would have on males?

hmmm...sorry, i have no idea what it does for blokes either. :D my research into it was on the female side with PMT and PCOS. anyways, if you find that it does help remember that it can take at least up to 3 months to see results in females.