Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's the time of year that i normally love, although the past few have been horrid. This one will be no better, with my acne being by far the worst it ever has been- but i realised, there are some positives to come out of it- which I'm going to focus on now; maybe you can name some of yours too! Might make you feel better :) All the below were initiated due to acne.

- Better diet (can become obsessive at times but still, much healthier!)

- Better exercise (am in best shape I have ever been- will give me a bigger confidence boost when I'm done with acne.)

- Better appreciation for your skin (look after it with better products, understand what is good and bad for your skin.)

- Sympathy towards others (I was an absolute dick towards people with acne. Not directly to their faces, but it was something I'd use against them if they gave me a chance. I can see I was an arsehole then, and really regret anything I might of said.)

- More drive and determination to succeed (I'd wasted the past 4 years of my life really- being lazy and just sitting watching tv and playing games; but my acne has spurred me on to make the most of my time. If I'm not going out and being social (which I find massively difficult), I try to still use my time productively- and from this have really excelled at university recently.

- Understanding myself more (this may seem a downer, but I've often been very depressed due to my acne- I struggle to look people in the eyes, even my parents. I avoided my sister for 2 days under the same roof (literally not seeing her at all) as I was so embarrassed- BUT, I still try and maintain a strong spirit and fight it all the way. You gain nothing with a defeatist attitude and feeling sorry for yourself, and gain everything by fighting it all the way and showing some grit and determination).

Anyways those are mine, what about yours?

-Getting a better partner

With acne it's more likely people will like you for your personality, which is much deeper than someone liking you for your looks ~

Then you know that someone is a person to hold on to

There are no positives for me whatsoever. And I don't find myself to be nicer to people because I feel so insecure. Sometimes I try to avoid talking to people or initiating conversations (Even though I want to!), just because I am so embarrassed by the way I look. I'm 19 and have had acne since age 13 and it is the worst thing to ever happen to me. Sorry to get all bitter on your optimistic post, but acne really messed me up emotionally, I think.

With acne it's more likely people will like you for your personality, which is much deeper than someone liking you for your looks ~

Yeah, I actually fell in love with someone at first sight with moderate acne.

I agree with this somewhat; acne can be positive but only for those strong of will. Honestly, it'll either crush you or incite you to fight. Before I had acne I thought anyone with pimples was dirty/sleezy/not someone you wanted to hang around. I was also lazy and video games were my life. I took life for granted.

Come acne and massive depression hit. Seriously, although I never mentioned it to my family, suicidal thoughts were a constant. Everything I knew went upside down. Now I was one of those kids that people secretly pointed at behind their backs and laughed. My social skills became nonexistent (I used to be VERY outgoing). I wagged school to avoid being seen. I lost all my friends due to my lack of social skills. I refused to look people in the eye and instead stared at the ground whenever possible. I adopted a fairly unhealthy mindset to life: you don't need friends, you don't need anyone. All you need is yourself.

Ergo following that mindset I treated everyone both friendly and non with indifference. I started staring people in the eye again but not because I was over my acne. It was simply because I refused to be weak (I saw it as subservience). I worked to perfect myself mentally by studying (had plenty of time since I had no friends) and stopped depressive thoughts (which I was ashamed of) by refusing to think about it (incredibly hard when you have no one to talk to about your problems and you have no friends to hang out with).

Come end of last year (08) I realized I hated my life and that given enough time, I was probably gonna end up as a 50 y/o workaholic. Perfect grades were not making me happy. I was still a loser however I framed it. I started to work out. I wanted a goal. If I ever got rid of my acne, I'd have a reward. I relaxed. I loosened up. I started talking to people again and omfg, smiling. I dropped my wall of ice. I found out that people actually got past my acne. Hell, I didn't know it but a girl actually had a crush on me once but my constant indifference stonewalled her (massive shock to find that bit of info). I'm so glad I got past my acne because it turns out people actually look up to me. I'm intelligent, confident and fit. They see that despite my acne. Still, it could easily have gone the other way. I could easily have not taken that step towards fighting acne and that 50 y/o workaholic future could've been all too real.

Not that I'm saying that I'm completely over it, the psychological effects of it still haunt me. I still hate looking in mirrors and still find myself bashing my appearance but overall acne has made me a far stronger person than I would be without. It could just as easily have crushed me though. Still, when I finally clear myself it's gonna be awesome. I imagine it'll feel like something akin to 4 years worth of psychological pain being nuked out of existence leaving behind a better appreciation for what I've got in life.

Edited by IdioSyncrasy

- Increased self-discipline

- Increased self-awareness

- Appreciation of good skin and other qualities

- Less judgmental of other people's flaws

I've become a better person, I never take anyone at face value. Unless they're very rude and shit, then I just stear clear.

exactly what i am thinkingXD

acne forced me end a 5 year drug addiction to various substances...that was a profoundly positive effect. i would probably in debt from tickets or in jail if i hadn't stopped. I used to deal x, which can easily land you a prison sentence.

acne has made me realize that i used to be a conceited, self righteous asshole. i try to be as kind as possible to everyone now.

i have also started working out 3x a week.

besides having messed me up psychologically, it has improved me as a person.

I can't think of one bad thing about acne. It's done only good.

1. I flirted with death for a couple of years, no biggie. I remember those memorable times driving down the interstate with my eyes closed, praying for destiny to unfold. Accutane had such a profound effect on me!

2. I lost all personality and confidence and turned to hate for a long while, which almost drove me insane. Hate is typically a good thing, especially the type of hate where you enjoy the thought of slaughter/macabre/suicide/violence/etc.

3. Jealousy was a big one, but I guess that sort of goes together with hate. Well, they're more like brothers. I was so utterly jealous that I couldn't help it...I remember I couldn't talk to a single person without feeling jealous. Everyone was automatically superior to me. I had that ingrained in my head.

4. I became an alcoholic - and I still am to this day! I can't stop drinking, I love it so much. It tastes so god awfully good and every time I think about drinking I just want to drink. In fact, I'm drinking right now...MGD 64 to be exact. It's relatively cheap and not too bad on calories. Wow, it's so great relying on alcohol, and it's definitely budget friendly when you're drinking a 24 pack every day.

5. I was addicted to pain killers for a while but I was forced by my previous military employers to cut it off or else shit would start hitting the fan. I took lots of pain killers and alcohol for, well, because I hated my fucking life of course! :) I still do, but it's definitely not as bad as back then (highway, eyes closed).

There's a lot more but whatever! Three cheers to acne.

cool story bro ~
spoon pic

NAO

and there are no positives to having giant, painful, ugly red marks on your skin

FUCK acne

U from the misc brah?

Obtaining a more "Rule #76 attitude:"

No excuses, play like a champion.

basically don't blame others, just keep moving forward.

U from the misc brah?
i used to post there a lot but not anymore

i still lurk from time to time its a good place to go when you're bored

I could tell... "spoon pics".

I'm pretty sure that's lust not love :doubt:

False. Lust doesn't last over a year...

Truth, it can. I've lusted after Pamela Anderson for like 8 years lol.