Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lb2

Will accutane fix this? Please help.

I've already posted a few questions about cysts and am still not satisfied with any answers.. here are some pictures of my cysts. I've been on accutane for about a month now.

Will it get rid of this?

I've seen other peoples before and after pictures and my before pictures don't look like any of theirs. I don't see any cysts on them, just serious pimples. I on the other hand have three large cysts and a small one, and not many regular pimples, just a few around the cysts. The redness is more severe in person, my camera phone just sucks!

post-116787-1261105232_thumb.jpg

post-116787-1261105240_thumb.jpg

post-116787-1261105245_thumb.jpg

By the way, the cyst on my left side is about 4 cm wide and 1 1/2 maybe 2 cm puffed out. And the other one on my jaw line is about 2-3 cm and not as puffed out at all. The one on my cheek is obviously the smallest but has been there the longest.

I HAVE had that one drained and injected with steroids about 4 times. and It comes back.

post-116787-1261105232_thumb.jpg

post-116787-1261105240_thumb.jpg

post-116787-1261105245_thumb.jpg

Edited by lb2

You've said you have had injections on them already, so you have been to a dermatologist? What have they said?

I think accutane would be your best bet out of any treatments out there for your cystic acne. Your face doesn't seem to have a lot of smaller pimples just the large cysts. It kind of looks like an allergic reaction to something.

I had a friend who found out she was allergic to this protein found in dairy, so she can't have anything containing a form of dairy. Her face was swollen and red & cystic like yours. She went through like 12 different doctors and they couldn't find out what was wrong. Finally someone did a specific allergy test on her and they found them problem. Not saying that's the case, but if you have already been to a dermatologist, i'm curious to hear what they say.

How long have you had this for? is it persistent?

I had two cysts similar to the ones on your face. They basically flattened out within a month of being on accutane. You could still feel scar tissue where they had been, and that actually took the next 4-5 months of my course to go away.

I felt like you when I started accutane and looked at other peoples' before pictures, I was like, "All these kids complaining about a few zits, they don't even know what acne is!" Luckily accutane did the trick for me. Now I just have to wait and see if my results are permanent. :)

You've said you have had injections on them already, so you have been to a dermatologist? What have they said?

I think accutane would be your best bet out of any treatments out there for your cystic acne. Your face doesn't seem to have a lot of smaller pimples just the large cysts. It kind of looks like an allergic reaction to something.

I had a friend who found out she was allergic to this protein found in dairy, so she can't have anything containing a form of dairy. Her face was swollen and red & cystic like yours. She went through like 12 different doctors and they couldn't find out what was wrong. Finally someone did a specific allergy test on her and they found them problem. Not saying that's the case, but if you have already been to a dermatologist, i'm curious to hear what they say.

How long have you had this for? is it persistent?

I have been to the same dermatologist for about 6 months now. A few years ago, I had the one cyst on my cheek come up and had it injected with steroids by a different derm. The cyst went away completely for about 3 years, and then about 6 months ago it came back 10 times worse, and following a few months after that one came the next two. It was my like my face just erupted with cysts out of no where. I have never had anything this severe other than the one cyst years ago, but my skin has always just been pretty moderate with pimples (thought in my case the pimples were always fairly large, but not nearly cysts.)

I have had the one my cheek drained about 3 times in the last 6 months and it's been injected about three times too. It has come back each time, SLIGHTLY smaller from when i went in, but just returning back the way it was a few weeks after the injections/drainings. I also drained the one on my jawline myself and had it completely flattened, only to notice as soon as 30 minutes later it started to fill back up. Crazy.

That's when my derm insist on the accutane, and he seemed to know what he was talking about. I made sure to ask him if the cysts i had were sebaceous and would not be effected by the accutane, but he told me he was sure the accutane could fix my face. The other two larger cysts towards my mouth and jaw came in the waiting time I waited to begin the accutane (which was longer than it should have been) so i was very gracious to begin the accutane.

I'm actually in an accutane study for 5 months so I can have it for free (i don't have insurance) so hopefully it will do the trick.. and i like i said I'm on my 1st month with only a few white heads coming and going quickly, but the cysts staying exactly the same.

I have looked into the food allergy concept, and I have been eating the same foods all of my life unless the allergy developed later on? I'm not sure, but I guess I'll just have to see if the accutane will fix it and if not i'll talk to my derm more seriously about the allergy thing. Can you tell me a little more about that? How long was your friend's face like that? Had she had acne before? Also... should I cut out dairy right now to see if I have improvements? Because dairy (milk cheese ans yogurt) is a big part of my life. I have it quite often... but would it be worth cutting it out completely to see if that was the problem?

And nikkia- I'm already done with my 1st month and have noticed NO improvement whatsoever yet. I'm only on 30 mgs a day right now, but I believe my next visit i will be moved up to 60mg a day, so maybe that will have a stronger impact on them.

Edited by lb2

Thank you, I hope so too!

But I just asked my parents about the allergy said they think I should totally cut it out of my diet completely for a week and see what happens. I have nothing to lose right? I def think im gonna do that and see if there's improvement.

the only problem you may run into is that if you cut out dairy, and your cysts go away, you don't really know if it was a result of the accutane or the removal of dairy. Could do it, and then if they go away try a reintroduction of dairy, and if they come back you will have found the cause. Good luck!

I've decided to wait until i've been on the accutane for about 2-3 months. If by that time the medication has done NOTHING towards my face, I'll start considering other options that could be the cause and maybe do the dairy thing. Thank you for the advice though (:

Really?

That makes me feel a LOT better, i've only seen bad pimples being cleared but nothing like what I have. Thanks<3

Really?

That makes me feel a LOT better, i've only seen bad pimples being cleared but nothing like what I have. Thanks<3

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/The-Log-a...33-t166628.html

BAM. Read it, it's inspiring.

Wow, that really was. Thank you for sharing that with me, seriously made me think. And Leo, that's great to hear and thank you for the encouragement!