Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nice_helenuk

spiro diary

Hello everyone..

I started Spironolactone yesterday (2x50mg per day) so thought I post a log about my journey.

Im 29 years old, had a medium level acne problem since I was ~13 years old. I've taken everying including accutane. Dianette (a form of the pill) has worked really well for me for the 10 years or so but my doc now won't prescribe it as I get migraines and that's not good apparently.

When I stopped the dianette I tried antibiotics but the acne on my back came back (I had none with dianette). My face acne came back a bit, but it's not too bad.

Yesterday I started Spiro. 50mg last night plus 50mg this morning. I am REALLY THIRSTY! So I'm not happy. I drunk tonnes and I keep on drinking and keep needing the loo. I really hope this will sort itself out in a few days, otherwise I definately won't be able to cope. i think I might be feeling a bit faint too, but that might be my immagination.

Anyway, will keep everyone posted. Would love to hear if other people had the thirst problem to start and if that has continued or if it has gone away.

Lots of Love

Helen xx

Day 2.

Because of the excessive thirst problem yesterday I missed one tablet yesterday, but I did take one this morning (50mg). I was very thirsty to start, but now the thirst has subsided somewhat. Hopefully this is a sign that my body needs to adjust. I hope so. I really think there is a chance this stuff will work because my acne is definately hormonal.

Love Helen xxx

Day 2.

Because of the excessive thirst problem yesterday I missed one tablet yesterday, but I did take one this morning (50mg). I was very thirsty to start, but now the thirst has subsided somewhat. Hopefully this is a sign that my body needs to adjust. I hope so. I really think there is a chance this stuff will work because my acne is definately hormonal.

Love Helen xxx

Hi Helen,

I'll be reading your diary....I'm set to start spiro in a few days......I was taking accutane, but though I've taken it before, I guess my body has changed (I'm uh, older!) and the side affects were stronger/worse than previous times.

the thirst and increased urination subsides only a bit.. it is a normal side effect that everyone gets because this dug is also a diuretic..so I would get used to that one =) sorry. As for feeling faint I think that happens to people as well especially if you are not drinking enough water. I have been on Spiro for almost 2 months with great results I would stick it out if I was you!!

Also The Reader....have you tried taking your accutane as a lower dose (i.e the same total amount but over a longer period). When I had that before my doc said it didn't matter how long you took to finish the course, so I finished it over a longer period than planned. I will go on accutane again if my doc will prescribe it again. Apparently second and third attempts do sometimes work when the first hasn't.

Love Helen xx

Edited by nice_helenuk

I don't get excessively thirsty when I drink plenty of water no. But I think I am more thirsty than usual but then again I have always been a thirsty individual lol. but I did notice increased thirst and urination after starting spiro. I barely drink coffee anymore and I cut down on my tea intake and I think that has helped a lot. I also add lemon juice to y water a lot which I think helps. Some people say to increase your sodium intake which will help you retain more water since this is a diuretic, which should help.. But seriously if this clears your face excessive thirst and urination in my mind is a small price to pay and we should all be drinking plenty of water for our skin anyway right! Good luck!! cheers!

DAY 3

Well I'm still very thirsty and it's not pleasant. I don't mind drinking more, but the problem is that thirst never goes away, however much I drink. In general, I would say I'd do anything to stay spot free but the idea of being thirsty for the rest of my life is not something I want.

I will persist and see if it goes away.

Love Helen xxx

Good Luck Helen.

I'm into 3 wks now and I can tell you the thirsty feeling does subside alot. I remember when I started I was so thirsty and I think on the 4th day, I was so so so thirsty that I drank 5 big cups of water all in a row. And I was still thirsty!!! Now, I feel like I'm back to normal (as in before taking Spiro). Like how thirsty I feel, urinating etc.

Good Luck Helen.

I'm into 3 wks now and I can tell you the thirsty feeling does subside alot. I remember when I started I was so thirsty and I think on the 4th day, I was so so so thirsty that I drank 5 big cups of water all in a row. And I was still thirsty!!! Now, I feel like I'm back to normal (as in before taking Spiro). Like how thirsty I feel, urinating etc.

Hey thanks tash,

I'm pleased you've emailed as you've given me the insentive to persist with it.

Also..has the treatmwent helped with your acne?

Love Helen xx

Also The Reader....have you tried taking your accutane as a lower dose (i.e the same total amount but over a longer period). When I had that before my doc said it didn't matter how long you took to finish the course, so I finished it over a longer period than planned. I will go on accutane again if my doc will prescribe it again. Apparently second and third attempts do sometimes work when the first hasn't.

Love Helen xx

Hi Helen,

I was on 20 mg of accutane, once a day, so it was a pretty low dose. I tolerated 40 mg and 60 mg in the past....so not tolerating 20 mg once a day was quite a surprise. But the heartburn I experienced was really bad and distracting....couldn't sleep, so I had to listen to my body and give it up. The plan was to take 20 mg once a day over a "long" period of time....so I'm still finding myself surprised that I had to stop and try something new. Will start spiro on Saturday...wish me luck!

Edited by The Reader

Love Helen xx

Hi Helen,

I was on 20 mg of accutane, once a day, so it was a pretty low dose. I tolerated 40 mg and 60 mg in the past....so not tolerating 20 mg once a day was quite a surprise. But the heartburn I experienced was really bad and distracting....couldn't sleep, so I had to listen to my body and give it up. The plan was to take 20 mg once a day over a "long" period of time....so I'm still finding myself surprised that I had to stop and try something new. Will start spiro on Saturday...wish me luck!

That's a real shame you can't even take 20mg :( Really hope that Spiro works for you! love Helen xxx

DAY 7- update

Well it's been a week since I started. I'm still on 50mg per day (though two days I had none at all).

I'm still constantly thirsty. It's perhaps not as bad as it was when I started but I still notice it all the time. I haven't upped my dose to the dose recommend by my doctor (50mg x2 per day) because of this problem. I am hoping it will go away over time.

Although it's only been a week I suppose I should comment on my skin. Basically there's not been much change, which is perrhaps unsuprising given the early stage of my treatment and the low doses I've been taking. At the very least I don't think I have any noticible 'initial outbreak'.

One other thing I should mention is that the problem of being thirsty does have one upside. That is that I've gone off food as my brain just tells me to drink, not eat. This is good for me because I really want to lose weight and I am always trying o do so but my craving (particularly for chocolate) always get the better of me. Not sure if I'm getting any slimmer, but I'll keep you posted.

That's all for now.

Love Helen xxx

1 MONTH IN

Well I thought I should update things. Basically for the last couple of weeks or more I stopped taking Spiro coz I went skiing and was worried about feeling thirsty on the slopes, especially as I always get thirsty skiing anyway. Plus I wanted to enjoy christmas food and I'm a bit offf food with Spiro.

Anyway, I didn't intend to quit permenantly and today I've started again with one pill. The thirst problem is back and I'm feeling a bit light headed. Plus I'm instantly off food a bit as I only ate a quarter of my lunch (very unusual for me).

I should get a blood test by the doc soon, so I will be interested to see whether it comes out OK, or whether these symptoms are a sign that something's not right.

Also the acne was bad whilst I was off Spiro.

Love Helen xx

Edited by nice_helenuk

6 WEEKS since start

(2 weeks since restart, following a couple of weeks off)

Well, for the last two weeks I've taken spiro consistently and at least 100mg per day (though sometimes 150mg). I still feel thirsty most of the time. Even worse than that my acne is really bad. Worse than it has been for many years. I really hope this is just some sort of initial outbreak and not an indication that it's going to be useless in the long run.

Let me know if any of you are having/have had a similiar experience to me.

Lots of Love

Helen xx

STRANGE PERIOD

Thought I'd update to mention that I got a light period today. Not that exciting in it's own right, but I only got my last one a week or so ago. So it wasn't expected. I'm guessing this is Spiro related, though it's not really not that bad.

:cool: xxx

Hi,

I am interested in reading your journey, as I'm one week in and desperate to know if anyone else experienced the same as me!

My skin seems to be getting worse, and it's at this stage where I usually would give it all up and say "well that didn't work", as the fear of it getting worse is far greater than trying to manage the 'moderate' acne that I've had for 20odd years.

BUT, it looks as if the same thing happened to you, so I'm having a word with myself and realising that nothing works THAT quickly and that the only thing I CAN do right now is carry on, stop picking, stop looking in the mirror and see it through.

These forums are a good idea!!

molly

Hi molly,

Thanks for your message. Yes, let's stick it out and see what happens.Post some updates to let us know how you're getting on.

Acne still bad at my end, at least on my chest and back anyway. Face not too bad. Hoping it will get better.

Love Helen xx

Hi,

I am interested in reading your journey, as I'm one week in and desperate to know if anyone else experienced the same as me!

My skin seems to be getting worse, and it's at this stage where I usually would give it all up and say "well that didn't work", as the fear of it getting worse is far greater than trying to manage the 'moderate' acne that I've had for 20odd years.

BUT, it looks as if the same thing happened to you, so I'm having a word with myself and realising that nothing works THAT quickly and that the only thing I CAN do right now is carry on, stop picking, stop looking in the mirror and see it through.

These forums are a good idea!!

molly

UPDATE - Upped my dose and skin improving a bit

Well over the last week or so I've been trying to take 4 x50mg per day. The thirst problem is so bad as when I started spiro, though I still notice things are not completely normal...still drink more and pee more I think.

The ood news is that my skin is a bit better this week compared to last week. Now it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if this is just the 'time of the month' thing coz my skin is very variable with that and I expect this week to be my least spotty anyway.

Finally, I'll have my test (blood, urine? can't remember) later today to see if my body is tolerating this stuff.

Will update again soon.

Helen xxx

Hi Helen, your journey seems quite exciting.

I am on sprinolactone as well. I get big painful cyst around my jawline and it is definitely hormonal. I am a current Pharmacy student and I learn a lot about drugs at school. Spironolactone is a diuretic and FDA approved for HTN and a couple other heart related problems. I learned that your thirst problem should go away with time, it is just a side effect and normally they subside with time, now in how much time it depends on an individuals body. My problem is different than any one here, lol. I started with 50 mg dose couple days ago and within few hours I got my periods (not sure if it was time for me to have it or it is drug induced).

I have had stomach upset and a little pain since the day I have been on this. I now cut the pill into 4 parts and take only 1/4th of 50mg a day, which still gives me stomach ache right after taking the pills. I have no thirst or any other problems so far but this stomach ache is not pleasant. Anybody here having stomach problems with spironolactone ???

UPDATE - TEST RESULTS FINE, SKIN DOING WELL and LOOSING WEIGHT!

Yes just a little update to say that my test results came back and were fine. This is good news as I had thought the thirst problem might have been a sign of something more serious.

Another positive is that my skin is doing pretty well indeed. The inflamed acne on my back and even the whitee heads seem to have gone (if not are only quite rare now). I've started wearing strappy tops again without worrying. Before Spiro when I just on antibiotics I had to wear round necks the whole time.

A third positive is that I 've lost about half a stone in the last few weeks which I'm very pleased about. Even better is the fact that I haven't really even been trying too hard. I'm convinced the spiro stops me wanting very sugary things like chocoilate. It is to do with the dry mouth issue.

I'm still unhapppy about the dry mouth, though I'm kind of used to most of the time. It is worst in the mornings.

Also forgot to mention that I'm regularly on 2x100mg per day now.

That's all for now

Helen xxx

4 MONTHS IN - skin doing well but still have thirst/toilet problems

Been taking my meds most days (but sometimes forget a tablet here or there). My skin is doing really well. Almost as good as on dianette (which I liked but my dooctor saud wasn't good for me). Hardly any spots that really flare up on either my face, back, chest or fat bottom! Only perhaps a couple on my chest, but it's so much better than it was. I am back to going swimming and wearing my nice strappy tops etc.

The down side of the spiro for me is still the thirst/needing the loo problem. basically I feel a bit thirsty all the time, but not nearly as much as when I started spiro. But need to pee a lot and often I feel as though the feeling comes on strong very rapidly, so feel quite desperate to go, even if I only went 15 mins ago. Haven't actually peed myself, but its not that nice. Also it's a bit embarrassing when I'm with friends because say we're in a retaurant then I feel embarressed going too often.

Having said all this, I am happy to put up with the peeing issue to have my skin look this good. It is actually worth it! However, I think I might ask for a referral to get onto accutane again. It would be great to get to a stage where I don't have to keep taking drugs for my skin - I'm 30 this year!

Keep me posted on your progress,

Love Helen xxx