Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Heavensepitome

Help me get off BCP - maintenance methods?

Hello

I am aware there are similar threads to this, however my story is a little different so please bear with me.

I developed "acne" (normal teenage spots, looking back) at 15 (im 22 now)I was put on a topical cream and antibiotic which worked for a year, and when the spots returned I was put on Dianette.

This worked wonders, clear skin within THREE DAYS.

After 2 years they put me on Yasmin, the clear skin continued, but the high estrogen gave me a cervical erosion, so I switched to Marvelon. Skill still clear but BAD moods so moved to femodette which is one of the lowers estrogen on the market, to help with the erosion problems. After about 6 months my skin became a little oily and I had some spots on my chin and back. I swapped to a triphasic pill to try and help my non existent sex drive. The spots went away...whether they would have gotten worse on the low estrogen femodette, I don;t know.

Anyway, the erosion appears to be back now i'm on trinovum. Higher estrogen just doesnt agree with my cervix, and no amount of clear skin is worth damaging my cervix, ive already had 2 operations and refuse to have another, and my sex life is still in the pits, so ive decided im coming off BCP.

I want to prepare my body as much as possible for the cold turkey, and prevent as much as possible the spots, which im certain will return.

I have read about Vitex (agnes castus) and wondered how much MG should I take a day, and how long should i take it before stopping the BCP?

Also Oil of Evening primrose, is this any good? Can i take this AND vitex together?

My doctor understandably wont give me any antibiotics or topical acne treatments until the acne actually comes back! So i want to try and maintain my skin as much as possible.

I am swapping my make up to bare minerals foundation after the swap to try and keep my skin as breathable as possible.

Also what do people think of products such as dermalogica? Am i better off just using a gentle cleanser and toner such as Simple rather than these expensive products?

Edited by Heavensepitome

Your story is similar to mine, but I haven't taken the dreaded 'cold turkey' yet either. It is interesting to read what you wrote about the Femodette. From the research that I have done, the best non-hormonal acne treatments are Azelaic Acid (Skinoren in Europe), Benzoyl Peroxide and Sodium Sulfacetamide (Klaron, Sulfacet-R).

If you are in the UK like me, then Sodium Sulfacetamide does not seem to be available, but Skinoren is, and it's relatively easy to get a prescription (i.e. you don't need to wait until your face is a huge zit). Topic antibiotics are also easy to get prescribed. I was prescribed Dalacin (clindamycin) just in case!

Acne is caused by a number of things: hormones (treated with BCPs), bacteria and sebum (oil). If you are no longer treating the hormonal cause of acne, then you should aim to treat the other two. Topical treatments dry your skin out to lower the sebum production. Be careful to moisturise though, or your skin will over-compensate. I use jojoba oil. Benzoyl peroxide face wash and cream are also really good at dealing with oil and killing bacteria.

If you need any more info, let me know.

:)

Hello

I want to prepare my body as much as possible for the cold turkey, and prevent as much as possible the spots, which im certain will return.

I have read about Vitex (agnes castus) and wondered how much MG should I take a day, and how long should i take it before stopping the BCP?

Also Oil of Evening primrose, is this any good? Can i take this AND vitex together?

i have been using vitex for 6 months now and have been very happy with the results. i started using nature ways 450mg capsules, 3 per day (instructions say take 3 times a day for 8-12 weeks then only one per day is needed). i started seeing results within the first month, not only with acne improving, but PMS symptoms greatly easing as well. after my first bottle of vitex was gone, i decided to try a liquid version, and my acne and PMS symptoms started to come back slowly. i then switched to another brand that is available here in NZ called Thompson's Vitex 1000mg. i take one capsule a day, first thing in the morning. i think the higher dosage of the Thompson's has really made a difference and i will stick with it. i think the key to having success with the vitex is being patient, it can take at least 3 months to see results, and from what i have found out personally and read is that different forms and brands can work differently for woman.

i am not sure about taking evening primrose and vitex together though. i personally don't and i have read that evening primrose is a phytoestrogen. i am trying to avoid phytoestrogens since i am taking the vitex to help estrogen dominance.

also, you can start taking the vitex as soon as you stop the BC. don't take vitex while still taking hormonal BC.