Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SCAR TREATMENT

I just got back from the derm and he set me up for microderabrasion and 75% glycolic chemical peels, alternating every 3 weeks - 6 total treatments, I think.

Today I got a 50% glycolic peel - to east into it, and subscision on my two chicken pox scars. I was tweaking out, but it didn't hurt at all.

Here's what the one on my forehead looks like right now... it pretty much the same but swollen. I'll post another picture of what it looks like in a few days.

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab290/a...3-21at17302.jpg

Edited by HereComesTheSun:)

Depression-

So basically I've spiraled back into depression. I skipped school all last week and now today. I tried my hardest to go, but I couldn't stop crying as I was getting ready. My mom keeps saying I need to choose to be happy and it pisses me off so much. I've honestly done that ever since 5th grade. I've joked about it so other people wouldn't, I've looked in the mirror everyday and said to myself, "just smile, no one cares", but after 8 years it's hard to keep pretending. When I thought of it to just be a phase I pushed through it, but now it just seems like this is all my life is, a constant battle that always leads me to the same exact depression, so what's the point. I've been around the block when it comes to treatments and I feel completely hopeless that after all I've done, I always end up in the exact same situation.

Candida treatment-

Yes, I have good days and bad days, and I don't want to ignore the fact that some days I am pretty happy with my skin, but the bad days are only getting worse and worse and leave me completely broken down. The dying-off symptoms of the candida treatment I've been doing may be responsible for the way I've been feeling, but I feel like it will just result in me looking for another treatment in the end, and accutane is said to be the last resort treatment for 'pityrosporum folliculitis', which is what I believe I have in result of the yeast overgrowth.

Accutane-

At this point I feel like the best move would be to do a second course of accutane, but I feel like it will only come back again. I do know that it will make me happy for at least half a year though, and that seems promising enough.

I luckily have a derm appointment tomorrow to get microdermabrasion, so hopefully I can ask for accutane then. It's a different derm than the one I went to for my first course so I'm not sure how he will go about it, but he is much more 'ok let's do whatever we can as soon as possible', especially since my skin is scarring, so I feel more confident in him.

If you've had experience with a 2nd course of accutane I'd love to hear anything you have to say. Preferably positive...

2nd Accutane courses often put people in remission, but you're fairly young so it's not guaranteed.

At what age did your parents stop getting acne? Make sure you get a truthful answer from them, not a watered-down one.

Have you tried hormonal approaches to treating your acne such as BCP or spiro?

Edited by jimmy188

@jimmy188 Is remission more common once people are in their twenties? I'll be 18 next month

My mom has said that she had a full face of acne for a year or two in high school until she did a dry-ice treatment. And my dad never really remembered, but it definitely runs in his side of the family as well - all of my cousins have problematic skin.

I took YAZ birth control for about 4 months, but I had a horrible 'beard' breakout the entire time, which now I'm pretty sure was a Pityrosporum Folliculitis flare up because bcp is a cause/irritant.

Hey, so I noticed you saying you had a problem with yeast and how that might be the cause of your acne. Well, basically, I just wanted to recommend you take probiotics. If you look at my log, I just started taking accutane, but, honestly, my acne has gotten SO much better with just taking probiotics. I would honestly really look into that! It helps with yeast and bad bacteria in general.

I take Dr. Ohhira's Probiotic 12 Plus, which is one of the best one's available! It helps with so many things. If I were you, I'd do a little research on it, but it's been great. I also drink a lot of green tea. Those things combined has significantly helped the condition of my skin.

Hope I helped and good luck with everything!

Oh, I just sent you a message asking you how you were doing. I guess I should have read your latest log posts before hitting send. :)

I'm throwing around the idea of a second round of accutane right now too. I know my derm most likely wouldn't go for it, but I can still think about it. If only we knew what made our first round not work... There's just so many questions. Will a second round provide the cure we're looking for? Or, are we just out of luck? I really, really, really hope the answer to that last question is a definite no. There's just so many unknowns when it comes to acne.

Sorry, I think I'm more ranting and complaining than providing constructive comments.

Good luck talking with the other derm. Hopefully, he can lead you to what is the best course for your skin.