Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Taymes

If a good friend was developing really bad acne, would you talk to them about it?

Something im just thought about.

I hate it when people talk about acne, even when it is not to me directly, i mean like as a third person and i hear people talking about it. A couple of people i know were talking in a shop, i was with them, the girl wanted to buy a load of chocolate (some for xmas presies, some for herself) and the other guy says like ''dont you know chocolate makes you all spotty''. It was just a chirpy remark he meant no bad about it and even though i am all breaked out atm he never directed that little chat towards me. But for a split second i feared that it would be directed at me, ya know. Even though acne can be such a massive bitch for me, its still a problem i wouldnt touch in any conversation with a barge pole.

So it dawned on me. If a friend started getting acne quite bad and i thought i could offer advice, would i be comfortable giving them the advice..... As much as a 'friend' i would want to be, i fear my bottled up ideas might never be spoken.

I know exactly what you mean when you hear talk about acne. It stings!

One of my ex girlfriends had terrible acne, and that was at a stage where mine was just a spot or 2.

We were ridiculously close and comfortable around each other, yet even with minimal acne I could empathise that a talk about her skin would be disastrous.

I think people should make their own choice on what to do with their skin, and anybody talking to them about it may be seen as highly offensive and could also put them down because they'll think 'Oh it is as bad as I thought.'

That could get them depressed, or it could propel them into action.

I think the former is more probable, however, and so I do the obvious thing and steer the hell away from all acne discussions.

If my friend brought the subject up about her acne I would talk about, like give her tips to make it go away or to cover it...but no way in hell would I be starting the subject.

I would only talk about it if my friend brought it up. I always get really upset if people mention my acne, even if they're trying to help.

Agreed. I wouldn't and haven't ever offered advice to someone with acne. Most likely they've already tried different remedies to get rid of it, although It brings me much anger to see people waste their time and money on stupid products like proactive :wall: . And I concur with duchamp, if they brought it up I'd go acne-guru on their ass.

i was thinking about this very question when one of the girls at work had some bright red spots all over her face. then i thought back to a year ago when my best friend suggested i try accutane and i told her i didn't think i was so bad where i needed it. then i looked in the mirror and my face looked worse than i had ever imagined. i became self conscience of it, then a year later of trying everything i could think of, i got on accutane.

so my point is people need to ask for help to truly benefit from it. giving them advice when they aren't looking for it could backfire on you. but this applies to anything. i wouldn't give my overweight friends fitness advice unless they came to me first.

It all depends on how you're dealing with your condition.

If you're super confidant regardless of your skin condition, talking about it wouldn't be too bothersome.

If you're trying to repress and ignore the fact that you have acne (which usually makes me feel much better) then talking about it would obviously be a nightmare.

It's kinda like a fat chick who's all "there's just more of me to love. gimmi some sugar" verses the one who never steps on a scale.

We should all learn from the confidant fat chick.

On a side note: CAN'T STAND IT when people offer me stupid advice on my skin. "You should drink lots of water", "You should eat healthier", "You need to exercise more". Seeing as my face looks like a herpes-filled-monkey-butt, I've obviously tried the basics