Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ErynG54

Soy HELPS my acne???

Hi all,

I know there has been much talk about how bad soy can be for acne. I have actually noticed, however, through trial and error, that soy actually seems to help my acne. Has anyone else experienced this? It has long been suggested to me that I am estrogen dominant, and I think soy's affect on me might be related to this. (ie. the supposed ability of the phytoestrogens in soy to block out stronger estrogens). Thoughts?

We are all different and have to find what gets up clear. In my case, soy is horrible.

If something else is changing along with the intake of soy, it might not be the soy. Are you eating generally healthier when you eat soy? Maybe it is because of that. If it helps you, go ahead!

Just a word of caution:

If soy keeps you clear, then great. However, keep in mind that those same phytoestrogens have been shown to cause thyroid disorders and interacts with the thyroid's hormonal systems.

As long as you don't overdo it, it shouldn't be too terrible. I've also read that it can affect your brain functioning as well, but I don't know if it's true or not.

This is plausible because soy supposedly increases estrogen.

Soy does not "increase estrogen". Like many plants (and many plastic bottles), it contains chemicals that may, to some degree, be capable of binding to the same cell receptors that one or more of the human chemicals labelled "estrogens" can bind to.

More estrogen = less testosterone. Less oilier skin.

This logic is hard to follow, since the general consensus is that these estrogenic chemicals interfere with estrogen binding to cells. How would that produce less testosterone?

Soy does not "increase estrogen". Like many plants (and many plastic bottles), it contains chemicals that may, to some degree, be capable of binding to the same cell receptors that one or more of the human chemicals labelled "estrogens" can bind to.

This logic is hard to follow, since the general consensus is that these estrogenic chemicals interfere with estrogen binding to cells. How would that produce less testosterone?

I'm sorry for being so ignorant databased. I wish I was as smart as you.

Unless you are estrogen dominant in which case weaker phyto-estrogens can help by blocking receptors.

Do you have menstrual problems? Have they also improved? You might want to try chasteberry vitex. Or other sources of phyto-estrogens that have more health benefits like flax seed. Soy contains a great deal of lectins which contributes to hypokeratinization.

You can see the links under hormones and hyperkeratinization here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

Edited by alternativista

Thank you so much alternavista. I do have significant menstrual problems, yes. I know they are improved by flax for sure, as both my cramps and flow are better if i regularly consume it. Soy has seemed to make my cycle more regular though...it's weird. Perhaps I will try the chastberry.

Estrogen increases SHBG levels which bind up testosterone. How, I don't know offhand, so don't know if that means phyto-estrogens also increase SHBG.