Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone. After reading up online alot about water fasting and the potential benefits, I decided to do it myself. Monday was my first day, and I failed that same night. I started again Tuesday, and made it to Thursday morning, when I got up, I had no energy at all and could barely walk, so I dragged myself to the kitchen and gave in again (even though I've understood that this may be normal to feel very weak, dizzy, light headed for a period of time). So today, I am starting for the 3rd and final time. I have convinced myself that no matter what, I will not stop until at least day 7 and check my improvement then and decide what to do.

I noticed there seemed to be some people curious about water fasting (or fasting in general) so I will continue to update this at the end of each day posting how my body feels and how my skin looks, if anyone is interested!

Also, if anyone here has tried water fasting, please do share your stories as well.

Have a good day.

Update: After missing food alot, critism from friends/family, etc I have decided to stop for the time being. I've been dealing with acne for years, and the whole time I have only been trying to treat with topicals. Some worked better than others, but never the results I was looking for. Now that I've been reading more and more about what causes acne, and reading this forum, I'm really starting to believe that I need to fix the inside of me instead of applying stuff on my face. If anyone is interested on the next things I will try, they will be: Niacin (either Inositol Nicotinate or Inositol Hexanicotinate), Activia yogurt for the probiotics and bowel help, and Cololstrum. If any of these things work for me, I will bump this thread and share it with everyone. If not, don't be surprised if I'm back here in 2 months bumping this thread and doing another fasting.

Edited by Jay326

Hi everyone. After reading up online alot about water fasting and the potential benefits, I decided to do it myself. Monday was my first day, and I failed that same night. I started again Tuesday, and made it to Thursday morning, when I got up, I had no energy at all and could barely walk, so I dragged myself to the kitchen and gave in again (even though I've understood that this may be normal to feel very weak, dizzy, light headed for a period of time). So today, I am starting for the 3rd and final time. I have convinced myself that no matter what, I will not stop until at least day 7 and check my improvement then and decide what to do.

I noticed there seemed to be some people curious about water fasting (or fasting in general) so I will continue to update this at the end of each day posting how my body feels and how my skin looks, if anyone is interested!

Have a good day.

Are you crazy? Water fasting is really stupid. You will be depleted of very many essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. The reason you felt like you couldn't walk was because you were not eating!

Heavens! You need to eat!

A water fast may not be too dangerous if it's for a day or two, but your body needs fuel and water isn't going to cut it. I went to school with an anorexic girl. She came to talk in our health class about it once and stated that the longest she's ever been without any food was 7 days. On the 7th day, she passed out, stopped breathing and had to be taken to the hospital.

Granted, she was probably lacking nutrients to begin with, a 7 day fast just isn't good for you. Just eat healthy. No need to starve yourself.

@iRyRy - no. That only happened in my situation because I failed twice already. My goal is to go from Friday to Friday without eating and only drinking water.

@Warrior of Acne - right. I know the reason why I couldn't walk, but I read online that it's only a phase of fasting. It tends to last one to three days, and then your body starts eating fat and you don't feel the weakness or hunger pains anymore (not forever of course).

@gMARIAs - I see your point on the nutritional part, as well as everyone who has brought it up before and will probably bring it up after this post. I'm not sure if you have researched fasting or water fasting in particular, but I'll share with you what I gathered from various different websites and also from people who have tried it themselves. After your last meal, you body generally takes 2-3 days to completely digest any food in the body. Why would you wanna wait that long? Well because when your body isn't digesting food, it gives your organs and your body a rest. Drinking alot of water while doing this helps flush out your toxins at a much faster rate than usual. Depending on how much you weigh usually determines how long a person can fast. I for one am pretty skinny, and that's why I don't expect to pass a week (nor would I really want to anyways) but someone who is a normal or obese weight can fast for sometimes up to a month, and no complications come of it.

Also just a general statement, I didn't make this thread to argue with anyone, just was hoping to talk to other people who have tried this and see what their results were. Hopefully at the end of my experience I'll have very positive news and other people could try it.

Edited by Jay326

Well, no offence, but this is just so dangerous and this post could actually lead many people to try it themselves. This is not the message acne.org wants to send..........whatever.

@assassin. - well accordingly to what I've read, that wouldn't help much. Since it generally takes 3 days to completely digest the food in the body, which is the goal.

@ItalianBoy - it has been brought up here before. When I googled about water fasting there were a few links to different threads in this section of acne.org, not exactly sure where they have gone so I decided to make my own.

I know that fasting is a difficult topic to fully understand. That's why I did alot of research on it before even trying it. No one in my family supports me trying it either, but this is basically a last resort for me. I think for those who don't know much about fasting judge too quickly. If you take some time to research it, you can find out alot of useful stuff. Fasting dates all the way back to biblical times, there are certain religions that fast, almost all animals in nature fast when they are wounded for the reason that your body heals faster when your body isnt using most of its energy to digest food.

@assassin. - well accordingly to what I've read, that wouldn't help much. Since it generally takes 3 days to completely digest the food in the body, which is the goal.

@ItalianBoy - it has been brought up here before. When I googled about water fasting there were a few links to different threads in this section of acne.org, not exactly sure where they have gone so I decided to make my own.

I know that fasting is a difficult topic to fully understand. That's why I did alot of research on it before even trying it. No one in my family supports me trying it either, but this is basically a last resort for me. I think for those who don't know much about fasting judge too quickly. If you take some time to research it, you can find out alot of useful stuff. Fasting dates all the way back to biblical times, there are certain religions that fast, almost all animals in nature fast when they are wounded for the reason that your body heals faster when your body isnt using most of its energy to digest food.

what i find interesting is when i had swine flu i was so ill i couldnt eat anything for 4 days i lost 8 lbs or more but in that time not once did i get a spot....

@want2beme - thanks for that great input. That pretty much goes hand in hand with all the research I've done so far. Most people agree on this subject that it does clear skin, the tricky part is keeping it clear after the fast.

no worries mate.

so yes i do agree with what you are trying to say. since that was my personal experience! one i wouldnt want to go through again.

but when i started to eat, tomato soup, bread etc over the next week skin developed spots again.

so i wish you luck with it and be careful. let us know your observations

@want2beme - yeah. It's definitely not a fun or easy experience. It just matters how badly you want it I guess. Of course I'll keep you and everyone else updated. I'll edit the first post at the end of each day.

Ok i started my fast this monday nothing but water, first DAY was CAKE second day ahhh decent, thrid day i Was watching Hulu and saw the pizza hut commercials MADE ME CRAVE PIZZA SO BAD!!!!!!!!! so what i did to boost the process up i lifted some weigths (bench press,pull ups) night i felt myself burning up toxins because i had like nasea and stomach hurting and head hurted a bit. 4 day water almost gave up...... Day 5 NOW i dint want to quit so im fasting with orange juice and vegetable juice so far all my acne bumps WENT down 90% still reddish but the bumps TOTALly WENT DOWN! my skin starting to flake off ONLY on the pimples. (sorry kinda losing track of days lol)

At the rate this is going ill be clear soon... Yea my acne is bad not just a pimple or 2 im talking about my right and left cheek are full of pimples and some all over my face but not much mainly my cheeks. Im so happy with the progress so far DONT LET NO ONE discorage you people hating are people who tried, but burned and crashed.

ill keep you updated :) sry for my bad spelling

@Bmw1989 - thanks for that post! I'm glad you're having the kind of results that I'm hoping for as well. Also, it sounds like your acne might be a bit worse than mine. If you don't mind, could you provide some information like your age, weight, height, how much water you're drinking, what your diet was like before you started the fast, and what you're using on your face, if anything? Just for comparison. Yes, keep us updated!

Edited by Jay326

Im 20 years old height 5-9 weight 140, i had acne but not as bad till now, i recently got acne when i got laid off my job i was eating loots of ICE cream Fruit roll ups basically junk food. I drink about 64 oz of liquid a day minimum, today i drank like 7 cups of orange juice believe me when u only have water for 4 days OJ juice TASTE SO DAMMNNN GOOOD!

Luckily this acne been this severe for only 1 month so my scars would go away rather quickly ima use mederma for them.

BTW i was not to stressed getting layed off because im getting 421 dollars a week for doing nothing plus i recently payed off my CAr and sport bike off think its from the high intake of sugar and greasy food.

Products on my face im trying the CAVEMAN method :D Nothing just started that 2 days ago reading posts from here so far so good

Fasting is indeed very beneficial when performed properly. I've tried water fasting, but I only made it 3 days. It's extremely difficult and I wouldn't recommend it for your first time (Go with juice fasting). I was determined though, so I did a 22 day juice fast. Definitely helped clear a lot of toxins and crap out of my lungs (I smoked for 5 years), I noticed a definite improvement, but it did not clear my acne. I am finishing up a 3 month (I just finished 2nd month) strict candida diet and cleanse, and I must say, the results are amazing. I will post pictures and stuff about half way through january when I'm done. Acne is finally almost gone.

I also notice that when I fast my skin is less oily and I break out a lot less. I no longer get cysts but very tiny, shallow pimples. I guess the trick to keeping these results consistent even after ending a fast is to keep the calories low. Keep everything low. Low carbs, low fat. The only thing I would keep moderate or high is the protein and vegetables. Zero sugar. Zero dairy. Zero processed junk shit.

3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food.

With this rule, water is much more needed than food for an amount of time. I do NOT recommend it however; as another has said you'll be missing out on nutritional values. I'd suggest at least taking some sort of multi-vitamin to still get your nutrients whilst fasting.

And please don't go 3 weeks without food!! :shifty:

@Bmw1989 - thanks for the info!

@anonymou5 - if you don't mind, could you give me a quick run down of what a "candida" diet consists of?

@Lyssa - haha. No plans of going for 3 weeks. I will try my hardest to make it to 7 days and then depending on my skin, most likely stopping. If my skin improves, I will likely eat for a few days and then fast again.

Day 1 is about over now, updating the first post.

Where I think fasting for a couple of days can help detox, I still don't think a 7 day fast is healthy or optimal for your body, especially not in constant cycles. It will probably help clear your skin up because you aren't consuming anything to cause it to break out. However, fasting is probably not going to cure your acne in the long run.

If you don't eat for periods of time, and fast in cycles, your body will probably kick into starvation mode. You may also suffer from very low blood sugar.

Even if it doesn't necessarily cause immediate damage to your body, you can detox your body by eating the right foods without starving yourself for a week.

But hey, if you can go for a week without food, you've got some seriously strong willpower. I wouldn't be able to do it physically. I have a knack for physically passing out if I barely eat for one day, let alone a week.

Do whatever works for you. But I still feel that switching to an overall permanent healthier lifestyle would be much more beneficial

@gMARIAs - we seem very much the same. This is just day one and I've already wanted to crack and eat something, mainly to seeing food on TV. My plan is that if it helps clear my skin alot, I'll introduce foods into my diet one by one, this should help me pin point exactly what I eat that causes me to break out. I also didn't mean I would fast all the time, but I did read that a few times a year it is healthy to do a "maintenance" fast, just to clear out your body, since it will also be easier each time you fast.

Edited by Jay326

Well, my problem isn't so much a willpower thing as it is a physical one. There have been a few times I've woken up to find my boyfriend huddled over me frantically patting at my face or shaking me because I passed out. It's only happened on days when I ate nothing or very little.

It might not be a bad idea to do a small fast and introduce foods to see how you react to them. You're right in that it might help you pin point some trigger foods

Where I think fasting for a couple of days can help detox, I still don't think a 7 day fast is healthy or optimal for your body, especially not in constant cycles. It will probably help clear your skin up because you aren't consuming anything to cause it to break out. However, fasting is probably not going to cure your acne in the long run.

If you don't eat for periods of time, and fast in cycles, your body will probably kick into starvation mode. You may also suffer from very low blood sugar.

Even if it doesn't necessarily cause immediate damage to your body, you can detox your body by eating the right foods without starving yourself for a week.

But hey, if you can go for a week without food, you've got some seriously strong willpower. I wouldn't be able to do it physically. I have a knack for physically passing out if I barely eat for one day, let alone a week.

Do whatever works for you. But I still feel that switching to an overall permanent healthier lifestyle would be much more beneficial

This was a really good post =]

I agree.

I'd suggest gradually adding foods in afterwords and try to elimanate possible causes... might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone and figure out what food could be breaking you out :P Fasting won't help much in the long run as gMARIAs said because once you eat again you'll still be putting in whatever is breaking you out.. so try to figure out what that is so you WONT have to fast just to stay clear.