Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here is a good question I feel, i know its a long post but would really appreciate the replies and thoughts from others who were sceptical about starting to use BP.

(really i have considered this as the thing before accutane) and seems as though i am pretty much heading for this route (bp)

just now I am contemplating the DK regime or some paula's choice products (cleanser, exfoliant, mosituriser) and following a regime using those.

quick history recap!

When i was on doxy the doc gave me some cream called skinoren (similar to BP but less abrasive?) however i never really used it tbh as i didnt know how to i.e how much to use when to use it i just got thrown out with it and some pills.

I also bought the 2.5% BP made by Panoxyl in gel form and use it only when ever i get a nasty spot or nodule.

I will put it on as a spot treatment. however it will always turn the area more red and then it goes hard (drying out loads maybe?)

and then days after it will peel (normally i pick it lol) and then look slightly pinky and then days after that will look normal ish (if you catch it in the bright light at the right angle you can see where you had put it) but not massively and i guess that would subside with use?

is this normal reaction to BP on the skin?

so my question is >

would I clear up well on the regimen? (upload photo to come) or would it f* my skin up more?

I suffer from an oily forehead mainly in the evenings after all day at the office (its fine in the mornings), dry mouth area and normal cheeks.

i get inflammed spots around the mouth which usually feel like they burn, then they dry and the area gets even more dry.

cheeks seem to get closed plugged Comedones, white heads, non inflammed spots, hyperpigmentation that follows. plugged hair folliculs, i.e when I pluck a hair that looks plugged at the pore it sometimes pulls out dried sebum or allows the pus to come out with a warm compress... eww I know.

jaw/ seems to get plugged a bit not inflammed though

forehead/ seems to have a few tiny black heads, closed comedones little skin coloured bumps

sometimes get nodules that hurt although touch wood am clear of those at the moment. I just went through a phase of having one per week all in roughly the same spot. was so unbearable.

I have recently started my lil sister off on the regime but my kind of version if you will. she has oily skin and moderate/bad acne loads of white heads on her forehead etc and i want to see her happy. i hope she gets on ok what i did for her was >>

mixed a finger length of BP with some simple night moisturiser and some bee propolis.

anyway help and advice would be greatly appreciated

those who have read my other posts in the past will notice i have tried the following with various levels of succes only for it to go back to the same or worse

anti biotics 5 months doxy

salicylic acid

glycolic acid

drinking tons of water

excersing daily

ancease herbal tablets

varying diet's (yet to try no bread)

vitamins

microdermabrasion

probiotics

aloe vera

exfoliating

doing nothing approach

washing with just water

yeah you get the idea

What you described doesn't sound like a normal reaction to BP. The same thing happened to me when I used certain products (not BP though)--the treated area got red, then dried out after a day or two, then felt rough to the touch, and eventually flaked off, leaving a pink spot that lingered for weeks. It seems like a chemical burn, so I have to avoid using those products now.

Still, not all BP's are the same, although they may be similar. Different BP's use different formulations, and you may just be sensitive to something in Panoxyl's BP. I don't know for sure, though, so be careful when trying other products.

Your best bet would be to do a spot test with whichever product you decide to use (I recommend Dan's BP) to make sure that your skin can handle it. If you get the same reaction (redness, drying, and peeling) after spot treating, you might be allergic to BP, in which case you'd need to look for a different treatment.

If your skin tolerates the BP, just be sure to take things very slowly, so that your skin has time to adjust. Rushing can lead to dry, red, irritated skin, too.

oh really :( nooooo

so i am doomed to have this skin !

I thought it didn't seem right. I am glad I didn't put it all over my skin!! ouch that would have cost me.

I did apply it to a large area around my mouth before and that did the same thing, it looked so bad for ages, dried up went crinkly and then took ages for it to crust and fall off, leaving very bad pigmented skin behind. gah.

:( sigh.

but maybe its because I didn't moisturise after? or is that unlikely?

i am in the UK i think another brand makes it but cannot remember it for the life of me. maybe id be better of using skinoren?

i am seeing my doctor on monday and going to get his opinion on it (even though he constantly says anti biotics, he was talking about one that dermatologists are raving about now)

will get the name of it off him.

atm i get really irritated skin around the sides of my mouth, i havnt a clue why its being like this :(

Moisturizing is important when you're using BP, but what you're describing sounds much more severe than the typical dryness that's comes with BP use.

Like I said, it might just be that your skin doesn't agree with Panoxyl's BP, and maybe a different BP will work for you (I can't use Dan's SA, for example, without getting "burned", but I can use Clean & Clear's SA with no problems).

Moisturizing is important when you're using BP, but what you're describing sounds much more severe than the typical dryness that's comes with BP use.

Like I said, it might just be that your skin doesn't agree with Panoxyl's BP, and maybe a different BP will work for you (I can't use Dan's SA, for example, without getting "burned", but I can use Clean & Clear's SA with no problems).

thats really odd isnt it? how a product can change from brand to brand. also makes like more complicated lol :(

Heh, yeah, it definitely does make things more complicated. But it's good, too. Everyone's skin is different, so we all react differently to different products and ingredients. The fact that there are so many variations means that if people are willing to put forth the effort, they're more likely to find something that agrees with their particular skin.

If there was only one formulation of each type of product, a lot of us would be out of luck!

I really hope you're able to find a formulation that works for you. : )

thanks matey :)

yeah there is a good side to it, but its the annoying suck it and see problem lol

:(

going to doc this afternoon. dont want anti biotics but want his opinions etc on other treatments, dermatologist?