Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

I've realized something....

I've had a HORRIBLE relationship with my skin for the past 5 years... I've yelled at it, I've cried over it, I've gone through depression over it, I even wanted to end my life over it... NOT GOOD!!! I've tried SO many things to get rid of it and nothing has cured me 100%. However I have has some periods of good skin. And yes I remember being happy during those times. However, if a big fat zit happened to pop up it would RUIN EVERYTHING!!! I am now 24 years old and STILL struggling with acne... except now I am struggling with other things in life and appearance as well. Lately I have been so busy I have not even had time to think about even benig upset about a new zit. And I have been having a lot of health problems... headaches, sinus pain and I have somehow developed bags around my eyes (WTF??). Now that I have all these other problems acne seems so trivial!! Now I wish it was my ONLY problem!! I look back a year ago around this time, my skin was okay... not perfect, I still had breakouts, but I also didnt have these other issues. I was happier than I am now at least.

Anyway... the point of all this is that yes I KNOW how bad acne can be... I went through years of agony and depression over it... But it's NOTHING compared what COULD go wrong. Honestly if you have your health and the rest of your life is pretty good and you feel like you would be happy if ONLY you didnt have acne... STOP THINKING THAT WAY. I kept thinking like that and I feel like I missed out on SO much in these past five years because I was waiting for that miracle day that I would wake up without acne... I kept WAITING to feel happy again. And NOW look at me... I keep wishing I could go back 5 years ago in my life and DO all the stuff I missed out on because of acne.

DONT LET ACNE HOLD YOU BACK. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

Edited by tdot

I agree with what you are saying. Acne takes a lot from us both emotionally and mentally. Last year my hubby ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks at christmas. He had cellulitis on his leg. I was so worried about him and what it was doing to him that I forgot about my acne. I didn't care about anything but him. Thank God he healed completely and was able to go back to work with no problems. For several months after I couldn't have cared about my skin at all but slowley I started to get upset with it and like you agonized over every spot and mark that I have. I have been trying to remined myself that every day is a gift and not a given. We have good health, jobs, food, our home and family are all doing ok. But its hard not to let slip and get angry or just want to hide. So my new years resolution is to just try as hard as I can to concentrate on those things. Elf

I agree with what you are saying. Acne takes a lot from us both emotionally and mentally. Last year my hubby ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks at christmas. He had cellulitis on his leg. I was so worried about him and what it was doing to him that I forgot about my acne. I didn't care about anything but him. Thank God he healed completely and was able to go back to work with no problems. For several months after I couldn't have cared about my skin at all but slowley I started to get upset with it and like you agonized over every spot and mark that I have. I have been trying to remined myself that every day is a gift and not a given. We have good health, jobs, food, our home and family are all doing ok. But its hard not to let slip and get angry or just want to hide. So my new years resolution is to just try as hard as I can to concentrate on those things. Elf

I like your attitude... I'm glad your hubby is okay!!

I know it's SO hard not to think about your acne... trust me I know.. I hate that it had this much power over us. And it's like why does it have to be on our faces? For the world to see? That's why it almost feels like punishment. I wonder everyday "why has this happened to me"... I always like to think there is a reason for everything. Somtimes I think I got acne because of the person I was starting to become (not a good one) and acne totally turned me around. Acne has made me sympathetic and caring towards everyone. I dont take the things I used to take for granted anymore. However acne has also taken a toll on my self esteem and has made me paranoid about everything!! I started to believe in karma when I got acne... Now I believe in karma too much... I feel like I have to do everything pure and moral or it will come and bite me in the ass.

However.... I still believe that we shouldnt let acne run our lives, we need to learn to be in control. I know it's hard, but we need to try....

I think a reminder like this is always good. I know I constantly strive for perspective, no matter what I am having issues with.

There is a fine line between trivializing and gaining perspective though. I do think that it is important to deal with acne on your own terms and I can only hope everybody eventually arrives at a place where they realize it doesn't limit you anymore than you limit yourself. =)