Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clearskinn

Is the oil on your face that bad?

I was just wondering... is the oil on your face really that bad? The reason I ask this is that the face is pretty much the only place on my entire body that I wash constantly with soap and cover in chemicals and it only seems to get oiler and oiler as the day progresses. I know i should use moisturizer, but truthfully don't you think our natural mosturizer would be our skins first choice? This may sound gross to some of you (materialistic type) but i havent washed my hair with shampoo for at least 3 weeks and the barbour just told me my hair looks really healthy, he asked me what I did, and I told him I stopped using shampoo everymorning. He was in disbelief. My hair use to be sooo oily when i washed it everymorning, i litterly couldnt go 2 days without wasing it, it would look so nasty. THis is how I feel about my face now. Ive read up on the 'caveman' regimn but i think they got it wrong. THey say no washing at all. Well i work out, play water polo, and bang broads so im going to sweat, and ive just been letting the water wash off the oil. However im worried that this oil might be bad, and start bring back acne. Ive been on retin-a (not the best) but its helped about 50% but I will continue to use it, so should i rub the retin-a over my oily face, or wash off the oil first then medicate? Should i wash off the oil everymorning or let it actually do its job for once? that was really long winded, I hope it made sense.... what are your feelings?

Yeah this is so true.

I try to not to be bothered by the oil build up on my face during the day. Letting the face heal by itself and not washing that often is something i have been doing and i woul recommended to others to do the same.

Yeah this is so true.

I try to not to be bothered by the oil build up on my face during the day. Letting the face heal by itself and not washing that often is something i have been doing and i woul recommended to others to do the same.

I feel like i am stuck between a rock and a hard place with this topic. My face gets pretty oily during the day and i can not stand it and i know that it is just assisting in me getting even more acne. So i wash my hair and face morning and night. The other side of it is i will have dryer skin because of it, thus producing more oil to compensate. Ive tried to go with just once a day before and it is just to much grease and oil that i can not stand and contributing to more acne and whiteheads.

This is what i have been trying to elievate forever, besides acne in itself. So complicated for sure and i do not know whats best. I moisturize day and night as well, but my skin still produces the same amount of oil regardless. I know this is a big factor in my acne because of course when i had clear skin in the past, my skin was never oily, except my hair which has always been oily if not washed daily. I dont know what to do... :confused:

Ya if you go like literaly like a week at most of not washing your hair (wear a hat) you'll be amazed by how much less oily your hair is. you'll like it so much that you will stop using shampoo i gurantee you, just wash your hair with warm water. I feel like my face would only be the exact same, but i don't want to just give up on the retin-a . ps hows the retin-a working for you J? 'TheMan" what do you do to skin at night after all the oil buildup?

also this is really interesting, i had a pimple above my eyebrow, and I never put any chemicals on that part of my face, and my redmark healed completly in less then a week. I've had some red marks on my face that have been their for months like over 5 months, coincidence???

ps. J-Q that truck is sooo pimpin- nice and classy, yet flossin, are those 20's?

I dont do anthing in the night! :P....... to my face at least

I just wash my face in the morning. I used to get really oily, but over time it got better although i still get quite oily, but it dont bother me as i am going to bed so i dont need to wash it. I like to think that by leaving it, it is helping the healing. I used to wash twice a day every day, but i think i done much better with just washing once.

I made another thread abotu drying your face properly. I think a good wash with just water in the morning to freshen you up is enough tbh, but if you are using chemicals then make sure it all gets washed off properly. I am trying to beat it naturally really, it cheaper and easier :)

Edited by The Man

Ya if you go like literaly like a week at most of not washing your hair (wear a hat) you'll be amazed by how much less oily your hair is. you'll like it so much that you will stop using shampoo i gurantee you, just wash your hair with warm water. I feel like my face would only be the exact same, but i don't want to just give up on the retin-a . ps hows the retin-a working for you J? 'TheMan" what do you do to skin at night after all the oil buildup?

also this is really interesting, i had a pimple above my eyebrow, and I never put any chemicals on that part of my face, and my redmark healed completly in less then a week. I've had some red marks on my face that have been their for months like over 5 months, coincidence???

ps. J-Q that truck is sooo pimpin- nice and classy, yet flossin, are those 20's?

Well i can not wear a hat since i am in the military and can only wear if i am outdoors. Thx about the truck, and no they are 22's ;)

honestly i have an oily face. like really oily. but i use dans moisturizer and it really helps out because then i dont get as oily if i dont. plus my face is dry without the moisturizer. you need to keep your face moist and supple not dry. the oil/sebum that your face produces doesnt really keep your face moist just oily. thats why there are people that are really oily and have dry skin at the same time. having dry skin with oily skin is a good combo for breakouts. trust me its a benefit to moisturize. but i have found dans moisturizer to be the only one that doesnt cause me to break out.

honestly i have an oily face. like really oily. but i use dans moisturizer and it really helps out because then i dont get as oily if i dont. plus my face is dry without the moisturizer. you need to keep your face moist and supple not dry. the oil/sebum that your face produces doesnt really keep your face moist just oily. thats why there are people that are really oily and have dry skin at the same time. having dry skin with oily skin is a good combo for breakouts. trust me its a benefit to moisturize. but i have found dans moisturizer to be the only one that doesnt cause me to break out.

i think the skin knows what it wants, but i agree with you, mosturizer makes your skin less oily, however if you let your skin natuarly mosturize itself then you won't have the 'oil' problem.

J-Q if your in the military what could you possibly have to lose?? I'm guessing your hair is short, all the more reason, but you probably wont be able to notice the differnce cause your hair cant show you. What are you in the military for? After school I want to go into the airforce (im in university now)

I started the Oil Cleansing Method a week ago and I'm LOVING it! I came to realize the days I was off duty, I liked my skin tone so much more, and it didn't dry out so badly. I have oily skin but I'm on Retin-A and have been trying to keep the flaking away. So I'd have to put on moisturizer in the morning before make-up, but within 5-6 hours (I work 12 hr shifts) I'd be right back where I started - still producing tons of oil, yet flaking in a few spots, and overall feeling extremely uncomfortable. However when I started oil cleansing, this all improved drastically, and my face looks much more healthy!

Here's what I do:

In the morning, I splash cold water on my face, then I take my shower. I don't wash my face with any soap. Pat face dry gently. After about 20 min, I rub a few drops of jojoba oil on my face for moisture before I apply a little make-up (I mostly wear some concealor & powder).

After work, I remove the make-up with a mix of organic cold pressed castor oil & jojoba oil on cotton balls. Take a clean wash cloth, soak in hot water, and lay it over my face - letting it steam. It feels amazing, btw. I do that 3x or so while I wait on the shower to steam up, then go take my regular shower. I don't wash my face with anything else but water! Jojoba oil about 20 min after the shower as a moisturizer. At bedtime, apply Retin-A as usual.

I worried about putting oil on my oily skin, but this honestly seemed to even out my oil production. I sometimes use those Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets to lightly remove the "oil sheen" that appears during the day.

I think all the different cleansers and products really caused me problems, but now that I've simplified it so much my skin is much happier! Good luck.