Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Diana1234

How easily can I evade the government's gross invasion of my privacy- a question about iPLEDGE

This question is for the female Accutane uses who have the unfortunate displeasure of living in the US.

I finished my accutane course a month ago, and now iPLEDGE is hounding me to get my last pregnancy (i.e. gender discrimination) test. I am 10000% positive than I am not pregnant. I absolutely refuse to spend the time/money/will on an unnecessary test.

My question is: since I don't need any more of the drug, how easily can I ignore their idiotic request? Will they keep hounding me until they send a hematologist with a court order to my apartment? Do they have the ability to fine me? If I need the (wonderful miracle) drug again, will they not let me have it because I didn't get this last test?

Thanks.

I'm not 100% informed because I'm from Canada (thank god we have no iPledge) but I know they cannot charge women who become pregnant on Accutane so I don't see how they could fine you for not taking a pregnancy test?

how are they hounding you? i just started claravis a week ago. guessing i'll have the same goons hounding me when i'm done too. this whole ipledge thing is totally moronic and completely discriminatory. (shhhh don't tell but i'm not even taking bcp. husband had vasectomy 6 years ago and if i would get pregnant it would be an "immaculate conception".) but as far as doc and ipledge know oh yes sir i'm on the pill absolutely. :)

This question is for the female Accutane uses who have the unfortunate displeasure of living in the US.

I finished my accutane course a month ago, and now iPLEDGE is hounding me to get my last pregnancy (i.e. gender discrimination) test. I am 10000% positive than I am not pregnant. I absolutely refuse to spend the time/money/will on an unnecessary test.

My question is: since I don't need any more of the drug, how easily can I ignore their idiotic request? Will they keep hounding me until they send a hematologist with a court order to my apartment? Do they have the ability to fine me? If I need the (wonderful miracle) drug again, will they not let me have it because I didn't get this last test?

Thanks.

Unfortunately you signed a patient consent form ("Patient Information/Informed Consent About Birth Defects (for female patients who can get pregnant)") at the beginning of your course saying that you would get a pregnancy test one month before, one month after, and every month during, your accutane treatment.

I don't know what they would do if you just continue to ignore them, but honestly I'd just do it to get them off my back.

Unfortunately you signed a patient consent form ("Patient Information/Informed Consent About Birth Defects (for female patients who can get pregnant)") at the beginning of your course saying that you would get a pregnancy test one month before, one month after, and every month during, your accutane treatment.

That's strange - I didn't. My derm is pretty laid back though. I also didn't do the test 1 month before like I've heard some people have to do. I wonder just how much these things vary between doctors.

That's strange - I didn't. My derm is pretty laid back though. I also didn't do the test 1 month before like I've heard some people have to do. I wonder just how much these things vary between doctors.

Hrm. Well, I should say, if you followed the iPledge program to the letter, then you did. This form is included in the initial iPledge booklet you get when you sign up to take Accutane. (I'm staring at it right now - I just got mine, heh)

Hrm. Well, I should say, if you followed the iPledge program to the letter, then you did. This form is included in the initial iPledge booklet you get when you sign up to take Accutane. (I'm staring at it right now - I just got mine, heh)

Yeah, I remember seeing that. I don't know why I wasn't required to sign it.

Thanks.

Think of it this way.. even though your 1000% sure you aren't pregnant... if every girl were to just give their word instead of taking a pregnancy test, there would at least be some percentage of girls who actually WERE pregnant. When it comes to the ipledge, they just want to be certain that they won't have a huge law suit against them if a woman did happen to become pregnant, and their baby was born with birth defects.. A law suit could potentially cost them a LOT of money, and they can easily prevent that by having any female on accutane take a pregnancy test to prove otherwise. It's really not gender discrimination, it would be the same way if men could carry babies, it's about them preventing any sort of legal actions that could come about in the case that you (or another woman) ended up birthing a baby with defects, and then taking legal action for reciprication.

(I understand where your coming from though, it sucks, but what I explained above is the honest truth of the matter!.. As per a business law course I once took, I learned about why companies take extra cautious measures to minimize their potential risks.)

So, mind as well do it and get them off your back, I have a strong feeling they'll be heckling you for a long time!

Edited by Polska Laska

Great post, Polska.

Yes, it is not gender discrimination because *genetic* birth defects are not the concern. Accutane is a teratogen and can cause malformations of the fetus.

Actually, any physician who doesn't comply with the requirements of iPledge is in violation of the FDA requirements and assumes *total* liability for any harm suffered to a baby in the event of a pregnancy. Very foolish in my opinion.

I think that in light of the fact that you accepted the stipulations of the program when you entered it, you have a responsibility to comply with them. Not to mention that it's over and done.

How it will effect future use of the drug? Idk, but in this age of instant information, if I were concerned that I may have need for it again, I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot.

Everyone is right in thier posts.

I will say though if you don't comply thier right you may not get to take accutane again if needed. Every 1-2 yrs I pledge is rereviewed to see if it is working and on complanice of patients and doctors. Not that I would be upset, but if there is non complanice issues, pregancies,Doctors not doing their part Accutane will eventually come off the market. The 1st program smart program failed... The next meeting on how I Pledge is working is in 2010, which consists of the FDA, Congress (Bart Stupak and such) and well now the Generic pharma companies and The Board of Dermatology.

In 2009 doctors Like Xandraa's were fined and lost thier ability to ever prescribe Accutane by the FDA and I Pledge.

Xandraa-If you never signed that form and never took a first pregnancy test, basically when your physicans office entered your info into I Pledge they lied on the questions they have to answer, and though if may not be you that they get in trouble for if there are any other patients it is possible. (if you want the link to the fda article I will post it)

I have a video floating around here on the boards, done by two highly regarded doctors that have treated and studied the effects of Isotrentinon on fetuses. It has good info and would make sense why I pledge is in place.

Just take the test wether 100% your not pregnant and don't plan on it.

I have always said it won't be the lawsuits,the suffers,or missuse in prescribing this medication that will take this medication off the market for acne use, but the non complanice issues and pregancies

Edited by oli girl

I'm sorry, but could someone please just answer my question? I don't really want to start a debate about iPLEDGE, I just want to know if not getting this test will prevent me from going on Accutane again.

I'm not pregnant, I know that for sure. And I will not degrade myself by giving Big Brother my blood unless it will prevent me from going on the medication again if I need it. So please, don't tell me to go get the test unless not getting it will affect further treatment. Thanks.

BTW, the only reason I signed the bullsh*t contract was because I was coerced into doing it by the ridiculous US govt. This medication has changed my life.

I'm sorry, but could someone please just answer my question? I don't really want to start a debate about iPLEDGE, I just want to know if not getting this test will prevent me from going on Accutane again.

I'm not pregnant, I know that for sure. And I will not degrade myself by giving Big Brother my blood unless it will prevent me from going on the medication again if I need it. So please, don't tell me to go get the test unless not getting it will affect further treatment. Thanks.

BTW, the only reason I signed the bullsh*t contract was because I was coerced into doing it by the ridiculous US govt. This medication has changed my life.

Several people did answer your question. I'm sorry that you don't like the answer. Since none of us are doctors who prescribe Accutane, we cannot say for sure whether or not non-compliance with a contract you signed (which you were NOT coerced into doing by the government - coercion specifically refers to intimidation, threats of the use of force, putting a person in immediate fear of the consequences - which "not prescribing Accutane" does not fall under the category of, I'm sorry) will affect your ability to get it in the future.

Next time, don't sign something you're not going to comply with. Simple enough. You knew what you were getting into.

@ Mrs. Martin Blank - your husband's vasectomy is a primary form of birth control on ipledge. You simply have to say you are using condoms as your secondary form. I think it's not widely recognized by dermatologists as a primary, I know mine was not sure when she was entering my information. I did my research so I would understand my options with ipledge and was grateful I did not have to back on the pill (I hate ipledge!!!).

@ Diana1234, I agree with headtrip_honey. As much as I think it's a pain to get bloodwork and pregnancy tests monthly, I will continue to comply with the program through completion. It would not be fair to my doctor's office if I did not.

Diana1234, congratulations on finishing your course!

Diana1234 - they can theoretically prosecute you for a breach of contract (I work in a civil lit firm), but it is almost assured they will not. As for preventing future treatment, they can deny you--if they can track you. I haven't started accutane yet, so I don't know all the info that has to be inputted, but if they require your social, odds are their records will show you didn't comply. Unless you can lie and convince them you had the test and by some clerical error they weren't forwarded the results, but you might have to prove you took the test. So unless you know a doc who is willing to falsify a date on a bloodtest, and they can track you by your social security number, yes they can prevent you from receiving treatment.

Welcome to 1984, Orson Wells you were right. The USof A controlling women's bodies since day 1.