Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jen0489x

Coffee and acne?

I've been drinking coffee (filled with sugar and creamer) heavily for the past year and a half, the same time my acne has been dreadful. So, this past week I've given up coffee and replaced it with green tea.. My skin has been looking better than it has in months! I've also just started taking spiro too at the same time as giving up the coffee (about a week) but I doubt the spiro would be working this fast, especially since it seems to be a drug that makes acne worse before it gets better. has anyone given up coffee and seen an immediate change in their skin? I haven't went a day without coffee in a really long time, but never really thought that could be a cause of my acne... So, does anyone have any experiences with a coffee/acne correlation? I don't think for me it's a caffeine sensitivity, as I've been gorging myself on green tea with no adverse affects.

I love my small daily cup of coffee. I usually put in half a packet of sweet n low, and a very small amount of non-dairy creamer (the powder stuff). I have never noticed a correlation between my acne and coffee addiction, but like I said, I didn't load it with sugar and creamer.

In my months of clarity, I never gave up coffee. In my months of breakouts, coffee doesn't seem to play a role. I probably will end up giving up coffee eventually, though - not because of acne, but because I noticed that when I don't drink it, I don't get as tired (how ironic). That, and heart problems run in my family so I want to kick the caffeine habit.

I also noticed that when I WAS drinking tons of green tea, my face broke out even more. When I stopped drinking it, the breakouts minimized.

It's fascinating how the same things affect people in different ways. But hell, if it's working for you, then by all means, stick with it!

A lot of people say cafeine is bad for acne. Im not going to start on coffee cuz its addictive. If you start having one your sleepiness goes away but it will come back worse after a while. What results you will be more sleepy next day and will need another coffee. Also being wired is not the best state your body can be in for optimal health. So i guess also not for your skin. A good sleep is good for acne so why would you even need coffee. Just drink warm water and splash your face in the morning. Tea is also good only has a little bit of caffeine if im right.

And yeah what MARIA is saying if it works for you stick with it.

I use to get 10 to 15 new pimples everyday so I decided to stop drinking coffee to see if anythings up. Nothing was significantly noticeable. 2 weeks into no coffee diet, I slipped up and drank ice coffee thinking one cup of coffee won't hurt. This was my AH HAH moment. My face turned red, swollen up, and had what appeared to be big mosquito bite like marks and bumps all over. A couple days later I tried again to see if I was right. Sure enough I had same allergic reaction on my face. It's been 2 years now and I don't get a single pimple unless I drink beer excessively or go nuts on chocolates for a week or two.

I don't think I'm caffeine sensitive either because I had been drinking diet coke (2 diet coke = 1 strong cup of coffee) alot maybe 2 to 4 cans a day to fill the coffee void but I didn't suffer anything big like I had with coffee.

Edited by pause/break

I use to get 10 to 15 new pimples everyday so I decided to stop drinking coffee to see if anythings up. Nothing was significantly noticeable. 2 weeks into no coffee diet, I slipped up and drank ice coffee thinking one cup of coffee won't hurt. This was my AH HAH moment. My face turned red, swollen up, and had what appeared to be big mosquito bite like marks and bumps all over. A couple days later I tried again to see if I was right. Sure enough I had same allergic reaction on my face. It's been 2 years now and I don't get a single pimple unless I drink beer excessively or go nuts on chocolates for a week or two.

I don't think I'm caffeine sensitive either because I had been drinking diet coke (2 diet coke = 1 strong cup of coffee) alot maybe 2 to 4 cans a day to fill the coffee void but I didn't suffer anything big like I had with coffee.

Ice coffee? Like a frappucino? What are we talking about here... black coffee or coffee with tons of sugar and whipped cream?

I personally like my coffee black, fresh ground and properly brewed. I can have a cup or two a day with no problems, though some days I am in the mood for tea anyway... or both...

Ice coffee? Like a frappucino? What are we talking about here... black coffee or coffee with tons of sugar and whipped cream?

I personally like my coffee black, fresh ground and properly brewed. I can have a cup or two a day with no problems, though some days I am in the mood for tea anyway... or both...

It was a bottled frappuccino beverage that kept in a store fridge. The second one that I tried a couple days later was brewed black coffee with a same result. I drank two above time to time so it wasn't like something new that I tried. Regularly though I drank instant coffee with lots of cream and sweetnlow to little cream with little sugar and then I switched to decaf later on but the acne breakouts were constant until I stopped drinking coffee altogether.

Caffeine doesn't affect my acne. I've been on 0-14 cups per day and from clear to severe acne. They were never correlated. I function better with caffeine, though. (I'm drinking about 4 cups per day now.)

I've drank coffee all my life. I stopped for 3 months after many years and my clear face actually broke out very bad. I think it was because I was stressing really bad about eating healthy.

I went to a Tony Robbins Seminar and started eating only live greens, and the stress of dancing around corporate cheap foods made me break out.

I believe everything in moderation, including moderation.

Cheers!

Caffeine doesn't affect my acne. I've been on 0-14 cups per day and from clear to severe acne. They were never correlated. I function better with caffeine, though. (I'm drinking about 4 cups per day now.)

2nd this. I quit coffee for a month or so at one point - no difference to my acne.

Coffee and icecream are the only two things I know break me out.

This sucks because I used to LOVE it. Been over two years since Ive had a cup. :boohoo:

Ughhh, I love my coffee. It's been 6 ENTIRE LONG days without it, but sadly, I'm pretty sure it had a really big negative effect on my skin as it's been looking a lot calmer, even though I can feel a new cyst developing >:(. I guess I'll continue without it for awhile if it's benefiting my skin.

Ughhh, I love my coffee. It's been 6 ENTIRE LONG days without it, but sadly, I'm pretty sure it had a really big negative effect on my skin as it's been looking a lot calmer, even though I can feel a new cyst developing >:(. I guess I'll continue without it for awhile if it's benefiting my skin.

Have you considered just black coffee? And not like folgers or something but a good organic fair trade roast that you grind yourself?

According to nutritiondata.com, instant coffee is inflammatory, while coffee brewed from fresh grounds is anti-inflammatory. And believe it or not, coffee is actually a pretty good source of antioxidants.

I've been drinking coffee (filled with sugar and creamer) heavily for the past year and a half, the same time my acne has been dreadful. So, this past week I've given up coffee and replaced it with green tea.. My skin has been looking better than it has in months! I've also just started taking spiro too at the same time as giving up the coffee (about a week) but I doubt the spiro would be working this fast, especially since it seems to be a drug that makes acne worse before it gets better. has anyone given up coffee and seen an immediate change in their skin? I haven't went a day without coffee in a really long time, but never really thought that could be a cause of my acne... So, does anyone have any experiences with a coffee/acne correlation? I don't think for me it's a caffeine sensitivity, as I've been gorging myself on green tea with no adverse affects.

Coffee causes acne because it has mad amounts of sugar and other nasty things. It also ruins your sensitivity to caffeine. Caffeine should be used only when necessary. Coffee also makes your teeth look like rotten urine. You'd be better off taking a caffeine supplement if you find it too much of a hassle to sleep. Green tea sucks too.

I tried quitting coffee to see if it helped my breakouts, but it made no difference. I went back to approx 2 cups a day to jump start me at 4 AM. I did stop putting anything in it - even Splenda or Sweet n Low. I went straight black coffee. The taste takes some getting used to, that's for sure. It didn't change my acne but it did get me past that training plateau in the gym & my 6 pk is developing nicely now. Sweeteners were apparently the problem for that, at least, just not my skin. Now when I crave a hot drink at work, I make tea instead. I take 2 or 3 kinds in my lunch bag so I can choose what sounds best. I think the tea has definitely helped my complexion because it's full of antioxidants.

I don't think caffeine is that bad for example if you use it before a heavy workout to boost a little bit, since you kinda "use the energy". At least it hasn't really made my situation any worse. Yet I don't know about coffee if there's some other ingredients that could do bad. I'm also not that sure about green tea either, since I've noticed the extract to possibly cause more breakouts for me.

I don't think caffeine is that bad for example if you use it before a heavy workout to boost a little bit, since you kinda "use the energy". At least it hasn't really made my situation any worse. Yet I don't know about coffee if there's some other ingredients that could do bad. I'm also not that sure about green tea either, since I've noticed the extract to possibly cause more breakouts for me.

Exactly. I am against those that use coffee as a "habit" because they "think they need it" to go to work or school. So they go and drink like 3-4 cups during the day just because they think they need it. It should be used only in certain situations so that it actually works. Otherwise, you are getting no "high" off of it and it is not providing you any energy. Instead it is just loading your body in sugar, staining the hell out of your teeth, and giving you acne.

I've tried black coffee and I don't really enjoy it. I like the taste of green tea better.

Oh, this could explain why coffee doesn't make me break out. I drink straight black coffee, dark roast. It's an acquired taste. I consider myself a wine and coffee connoisseur.

Adding sugars and drinking a light roast=more caffiene, could very well make people break out. If I drink a light roast coffee I start shaking. :wacko:

Caffeine increases Serotonin, which increases Prolactin, prolactin = 5-a reductase, 5 a reductase = DHT, DHT = acne

Winner! Game, set, and match.

/thread

lool_101,

I'm glad you aren't an MD. You are correct in your how each one affects the other, however, the amount that would be needed to increase each doesn't equate. The largest gap is Serotonin increasing Prolactin.

Fact:

It is still unknown why excess sebum is created; which causes p. acne. That's why there's no magic pill. See Accutane below.

Fact:

It is often believed there are several different ways this can be accomplished. Genes, diet, environment, hormones, stress, bacteria, mixture of these, etc.

Fact:

Prolactin is released when masturbating and having sex. So then you are a proponent that sex and masturbation causes acne and not testosterone which is somewhat of conventional thought which I do not believe.

Fact:

5-Hydroxy-L-Tryptophan or 5-HTP, which turns into serotonin has decreased acne in patients. Serotonin in the brain produces a calming effect and stability. Stress has been identified as a cause of acne.

Fact:

Accutane causes extremely low levels of Serotonin. This causes mild and severe depression. The amount of suicide in individuals using Accutane raises 24%. Even though the Accutane does help people with acne (not mentioning the significant side effects), the true mechanism of why it works is still unknown. Just because a drug that helps acne to lower Serotonin does not mean excess Serotonin causes acne.

Fact:

It is known that hair loss is caused by the same equation; Prolactin, prolactin = 5-a reductase type 2, 5 a reductase type 2 = DHT, DHT = acne. But why do some doctors prescrib 5-htp to grow hair if Serotonin creates too much Prolactin?

Fact:

Exercising stimulates Serotonin which helps reduce stress that reduces acne.

Fact:

You may be right for some people coffee may be causing acne. You can find out this out however.

Fact:

For citations Google terms with clinical, tests, etc. Please show me your source that fundamentally, a large increase in serotinin causes DHT indirectly.

Fact:

Low Serotonin levels is with every case of BD Disorders. The most common syptom facial wise is acne.

Fact:

The large amount of Serotinin in the brain comes from chocolate. Chocolate has been tested vigorously over the last 10 years and they have found no evidence that chocolate causes acne. In fact, they say that pure cocoa actually calms and relaxes the body and helps with acne!

Fact from Wikipedia:

Serotonin levels can not be increased by diet or supplements of tryptophan alone. For example, increasing foods rich in tryptophan (eg, meats, proteins) does not increase serotonin levels, due to competition with other amino acids.[49] What is required to increase serotonin production is an increase in the ratio of tryptophan to phenylalanine and leucine. Fruits with a good ratio include dates, papaya and banana. Foods with a lower ratio inhibit the production of serotonin. These include whole wheat and rye bread[50] Much research has indicated that vigorous aerobic exercise improves mood, believed to be facilitated by an increase in serotonin levels.[51] Research also suggests that eating a diet rich in whole grain carbohydrates and low in protein will increase serotonin by secreting insulin, which helps in amino acid competition.[49] However, increasing insulin for a long period of time can sometimes onset insulin resistance, which is related to obesity, type 2 diabetes, and lower serotonin levels. It is also believed that muscles use many of the amino acids except tryptophan, allowing men to have more serotonin than women.[52] Bright light therapy is another popular method which prevents the conversion of serotonin to melatonin.[53] A similar effect is obtained by spending more time in natural sunlight. Recently, acupuncture has been shown to stimulate the release of serotonin in lab animals.[54] Myo-inositol, a carbocyclic polyol present in many foods, is known to play a role in serotonin modulation.[55"]

Myo-inositol, a carbocyclic polyol present in many foods, is known to play a role in serotonin modulation.[55]

---------------------

And finally,

If you have acne, these tests would be helpful in diagnosing the cause of your problems: serum levels of testosterone, DHEAS, LH, FSH, prolactin, cholesterol, triglycerides, and thyroid hormones. A two-hour glucose tolerance test with accompanying insulin levels should also be done.

Cheers!