Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone!, I'm a 21 year old male from England.

I'm not sure where to post this.

I don't know what I have got but I'll do my best to describe it.

I had some severe eczema on the backs of my legs and arms between the ages of 5 and 12. I haven't had it since.

For the past 5 years, I've experienced redness and mild acne on my face.

At first it was very mild and very dry but over the years it has gone worse.

It is generally red where the forehead is, the cheeks and sometimes around my eyes and nose. I also have a red line/ridge across both cheeks.

Every time after I get a shower (not hot, just lukewarm), my face goes bright red and blotchy and It feels like severe burns, its not itchy, just painful.

It also feels very tight and when I smile, the skin feels stretched.

It goes all red and blotchy and takes a long time to settle down. This sometimes causes red raised spots, sometimes rash like spots depending on severity. I try to avoid letting the water touch my face, but it still goes bright red regardless. I've also tried using lots of moisturiser before the shower to form a "barrier" between my skin and the water. Hasn't worked.

I am unable to wash my face and shave because of this. This is really annoying because It makes me feel unhygienic.

I have tried changing my diet I've tried everything and there is no effect, I'm hygienic, I don't smoke, I do drink alcohol but not alot and usually just at the weekends, I exercise, I'm not overweight. I'm generally healthy.

Sunlight seems to help and my skin condition is not as bad during the summer.

I don't think I'm allergic as it just affects my face/scalp. Not my body. I have very mild acne on my back, but I can put up with it as it comes and goes.

My scalp is red as well, and rather flaky and greasy. It is sometimes sore at the crown area. Could this cause hair loss? Recently I've found patches of hair on my pillow. I don't scratch my head as its not itchy.

It is seriously affecting my life as I refuse to leave the house sometimes or even get photographed.

I've been seeing different doctors and dermatologists many times and they don't even know what it is.

I've been prescribed many sterioids, cortisones, creams, moisturisers, anti-biotics, tar shampoo, Nizoral, metro gel.....nothing works.

I am absolutely frustrated, and I can't seem to find anything on the internet that matches my symptoms.

Please Help! :[

I really need some help/advice. I have tried almost everything.

Edited by superunknown88

Welcome to Acne.org, superunknown88.

I'm sorry that I don't have any advice for you, but I've moved this to the Rosacea And Facial Redness board. You might get more help and information here.

Thanks.

I'd also like to add that I am currently taking Clobetasone Butyrate cream. Apparently its a very strong steroid. My GP says I should take use it once a day after a shower for a week. Two weeks have gone by and no effect whatsoever. My face still feels tight/burns and is red as per usual.

I thought about that, but it seems different. The eczema I had as a kid was itchy as hell. It was a major rash. I have minor scars from scratching them alot back then.

The facial skin issue isn't itchy at all. It has a more of burning/stinging/tight sensation. It could be a form of eczema? But I'm not sure.

I feel 4 ya mate, I really hope it heals, but you might have a very rare allergy to water called 'aquagenic urticaria'.

Heres a link to a women suffering from it to.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-...sons-tears.html

Heres abit more information, plus other allergys that are similiar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquagenic_urticaria

Edited by Kenny89

I used to have this - actually, I've had it on and off for years. Of course, it's hard to know if it's actually the same thing as you have, but I can relate to the not itchy blotchy redness that just seems to happen no matter what you do. I tried hydrocortizone and it did NOTHING. Nothing helped. At all.

The first time around, it lasted for 6 years, until I finally realized that I was allergic to green tea. I was living in Vancouver, and green tea was A Big Deal. I ate sushi all the time, and always had green tea with it. Or I'd have jasmine tea at home or with chinese food (jasmine tea has green tea in it). Or I would make oolong tea for myself at home (a kind of green tea). And every time I would ask someone about my face, and horrible my red-but-non-itchy skin, they'd say "try green tea", or else "try this moisturizer that works great for me" except it would contain green tea (so many things do!!). It was so omnipresent that I didn't even think of it. Until I moved to Ireland, and green tea was nowhere to be found, and my skin cleared up. For two years I had clear blotchless skin. I mean, I still had pimples, but no red blotches. Then I moved to Asia, and started drinking green tea again. FINALLY I figured it out: my dear husband actually watched the blotches form in real time while I was drinking tea -- he said "Oh god - IT'S THE TEA!!!!.

But then it started happening again, and so now I'm thinking there's something else I'm allergic to, either in some product, or in my diet. Now I don't use anything at all on my face except apple cider vinegar and water (mixed more or less half half). Water does NOT make my skin happy. I think it's the PH though as opposed to an allergy - tap water is ph7, and skin is 5.5. ACV is something like 3.5, but can be mixed with water to get it up to 5.5.

So - now I have single-toned skin that doesn't hurt or feel "active". Maybe it's something like that for you too??

Hope this helps!!

E.

Have you discussed rosacea with your doctors? I don't really know anything to help besides being very gentle with your skin.

Edited by Addie

Hi thanks for your replies.

I don't think its a water allergy as it just affects my face/scalp.

I have no other skin problems anywhere on my body.

Its just red background with little red spots scattered around the cheeks, across the nose, and around the forehead. It also feels tight all day as if I'm wearing a mask, and nothing makes it worse apart from showers

(of very lukewarm temperature) and cold wind.

It feels leathery to the touch.

My face doesn't get worse or better during a shower/facewash.

Its only after 5 mins thats when it gets bad.

I don't touch my skin (unless I put on cream), and I haven't washed my face in a long time which totally sucks.

Edited by superunknown88

This sounds like either seborrheic eczema or rosacea, probably rosacea given the little red lesions. These two conditions can be quite difficult sometimes to distinguish between, particularly when rosacea is at an early stage. If you flush after a shower that does sound quite like rosacea. You could try Solgar MSM 1000mg once per day (I use this for rosacea it works very well for both the flushing and the spots and you can get it at health food shops). MSM also works quite well for seborrheic eczema sometimes too I have heard. If it is rosacea, alcohol is quite likely to be a trigger as well as sugar, dairy etc (much the same foods as trigger acne). A good dermatologist should be able to help you, but beware of taking eczema medications such as steroids if you have a suspicion it is rosacea as this can make the rosacea worse (there is a condition called steroid induced rosacea). I also worry that if it is rosacea then it is likely to have been made worse by the wide range of medications you've used so far (rosacea skin is very sensitive). I would wash with luke warm water. You may find cleansing products from the Sher System helpful (though they are quite expensive).

Something in/on ur skin is causing this. Use sulfur wash for 3-4 weeks and i can guarantee it will reduce your symptoms big time. if you go to the derm ask for clenia face wash. it has 5% sulfur in it. Its great against seb derm, rosacea, demodex mites.

Thanks for the replies. I've washed my face with sulphur, but it wasn't worked and the actual washing of the face has made it more painful. I've stopped using steriod cream but however, there is no change :(

Also I forgot to add that as well as my face being blotchy red, the cheeks/nose seem to have a rather 'shiny' appearance.

Edited by superunknown88