Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ive sort of asked this question in around about way before.. but not got an answer for it.

We know that water washes away natural skin oils.. we know that the ph levels have somthing to do with it.

but has ive said before these are not answers.. because most people are totaly unaware that water drys out the skin. So clearly there is somthing my skin is lacking in that most other peoples are not.

What is it?

WATER does dry out your skin....and that helps dry up your acne

Well according to my experience:

When i was at college, the water in the showers and sinks were extremely "minerally", my face would dry up and get flaky. And remember, the reason oil is secretred is to keep your outer level skin hydrated, not dehydrated. When I came back, I now spray distilled water on my face and it never gets dry.

The reasoning, the minerals after washing your face are absorbed into your true skin, causing water retention, thus blocking your sebum canals, thus dehydrating your skin.

Which can't be good for acne, or those sensitive to it enough...right?

how do u know wats in your water, r u saying that washing your face in some places can cause acne, if so someone should really fix that...

it's more like:

some water will have lots of minerals in it!

at college, the water was extremely minerally, yet at my house much less but still had some.

I just distilled water because it is more soothing on my face and not as harsh

the water washes away the oils that keep your skin hydrated.. yes i know that.

the question was.. why when you went to the showers did your skin get dry.. but the rest of your roomates didnt have problems getting dry skin from the water.

what is it thats different about us and them.. because only if you know that.. can you fix it.

<and as for that bloke surgesting that having white dry cracked flakey skin.. being good for acne.. do us a favour and go jump under a bus>

There are shower head filters on the market that act like Brita Filters or PUR filters. I have been considering one.

There are shower head filters on the market that act like Brita Filters or PUR filters. I have been considering one.

it's more like:

some water will have lots of minerals in it!

at college, the water was extremely minerally, yet at my house much less but still had some.

I just distilled water because it is more soothing on my face and not as harsh

Bad water quality has NOTHING to do with acne. Sorry -- stop looking at the most basic/innocenet behaviors we have and think that they cause your acne.

Bad water quality has NOTHING to do with acne. Sorry -- stop looking at the most basic/innocenet behaviors we have and think that they cause your acne.

I dunno about my water but we have a water softner, it's really helping my complexion.

This is not even relevant.

tommy,

the showers too at my school were minerally, yet i found only my face and neck having the drying/flakyness, not my entire body. Well, your face, neck and upper back have the most sebaceous glands. But check for your self, where are your oil spots. Sometimes for some people the mineral content of the water effecting your face could very well so be part of the problem, not a major cause or anything, just something to take note of.

For me, my skin prefers the distilled water. Try it for yourself! Get a water spray bottle and fill it up and spray your face with it.

Always wash your face 2 times a day maximally.

tommy,

Perhaps it has to do with pore size. People with oily skin have large pores. The water can then wash the oil out down inside the skin, drying it more than than it does with people with small pores.

I have no proof for this. Just a theory.

But what if it's like fluid dynamics where you have to have a bigger diameter pipe to pass a larger volume of water.

Hi Tommy,

Water supposedly has a neutral ph 7...but it depends entirely on the water you use. Hard water with a high content of lime etc can obviously be pretty alkaline. Water will contribute to skin dryness and it will temporarily affect the acid mantle on the skin. Typically you'll read that people with chronic dry skin should shower and bath less frequently and should spend less time under the tap and nozzle as a way of improving their skin.

The theory is that the skin is acid as an anti-fungal and antibacterial property. Even with acne treatment you can see that acid ph is often positively implicated in medications....benzoic acid, salicylic acid, lactic acid, mandelic acid...you get the idea.

I've posted about it in the past...but can't be bothered dredging up links unless you are really interested.

Frances