Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ppopsicle

Doing (almost) nothing for two months

Hello.

This is basically my first post/topic thing here, but I've been lurking around this site for a pretty long time. I've been keeping a personal log thing on the computer, but yesterday I got this horrible new breakout and decided I was going to stop using benzoyl peroxide and I was like, okay, I am going to join acne.org and make a freaking log. Because if I'm suffering, maybe other people can learn from it. Or whatever.

So, all of these logs start with stories. Mine is not really that interesting. I'm a teenage girl in high school and I've had acne since I was 13. Back then, it was just my forehead and my temples, and I tried all these horrible face washes and wipes and BP and salicylic acid things, which kind of helped but not really.

In the last year or so, my stupid forehead acne spread to my cheeks (!!) and sides of my face. They are these crap-filled things which I am so tempted to squeeze. And then they bleed. I used to think it was so horrible just to have pimples on my forehead, but now? I'd like my old skin back, thanks. I have a little bit of chest and back acne but not much.

It's mainly my face.

Anyway, I've been using Oxy BP for the past 3 years, at least, either 5% or 2.5%, and lately I've been feeling like they actually don't do anything. So then now, I give up. No more benzoyl peroxide. I'm using this sensitive skin Dove moisturizing face wash (?) which seems okay, I just feel like I should be cleaning my face, but if that's not helping, then I'll stop using everything.

I will do this for at least two months. I will. I must. *willpower*

Random things:

- I have normal-ish skin. Kind of oily, maybe sort of combination, but generally normal. I have really oily hair, if that has anything to do with it.

- My mom had really bad acne when she was a kid. So I'm pretty sure this is genetic. SIGH. I don't know if anything I do will help, then.

- I'm changing my pillowcase every week.

- I am drinking milk almost every day. I don't think anything I eat has anything to do with my acne, honestly. It's just genetics.

Thanks for reading. Wish me luck, I'll need it. Good luck to anyone who's also struggling with acne.

Edited by ppopsicle

Hi there, good luck with your choice of regimen. I've got the genetics thing going against me too. Its fun, huh?! I really envy those people that don't ever have to worry about their skin, but thats just not our lot in life. Hope everything goes well for you! And welcome!

Hi there, good luck with your choice of regimen. I've got the genetics thing going against me too. Its fun, huh?! I really envy those people that don't ever have to worry about their skin, but thats just not our lot in life. Hope everything goes well for you! And welcome!

Aww, thank you! I know what you mean. All of my friends happen to have crystal clear skin (isn't that funny how it often works out? The people who have horrible acne have friends who don't know what a pimple is?) and I really wish I had clear skin too.

DAY 1.

I have fully accepted that I am doomed to acne whatever I do to my face. I guess the least I can do is stop using chemicals. Anything that turns towels orange can't be good for my skin, right?

I really should stop wearing so much concealer/foundation/whatever but I can't. I can't go to school and face the world with my face like this. On the days when I wake up late and have no time to put makeup on, I feel so self conscious, like I can't look people in the eye. I'm not even sure if covering my face with random junk is even making it look better. For all I know, it makes it look worse. But it makes me feel better about myself or something.

Right now my forehead is clear. It's been clear for the past two months, at least, which is surprising, because it's been covered in acne for the past three years of my life. But I guess it's moving on to the rest of my face now. My cheeks have a bunch of scabs and stuff on them, and two pimples on each side of my face. Kind of symmetrical. Teehee.

Edited by ppopsicle

Good luck with this!

I'm in a very similar situation, trying the do-nothing method :) on day 5 at the moment.

I'll keep reading your log and I really do hope it goes well for you!

x

Good luck with this!

I'm in a very similar situation, trying the do-nothing method :) on day 5 at the moment.

I'll keep reading your log and I really do hope it goes well for you!

x

Good luck to you too! It's not easy. I've tried to do nothing before, and every time I've always gone back to the BP. Which just started that horrible vicious cycle of bleached everything and then your acne is still there and ahhhhhh.

DAY 2.

I swear that all the red marks/scars on my cheeks have already faded. REALLY. I hope so. I've heard that benzoyl peroxide slows healing, so red marks linger longer, or something?

I have several bumps that I really want to squeeze but I will not. I usually squeeze everything so I will NOT squeeze anything to see what happens. I also tried not to touch my face today.

I'm really mad about this thing that my foundation is doing to my earphones. I have white earphones, so the two sides that touch my face are stained this faded yellowish colour now. AHHHHHH. I've tried to wash them with lots of random things (rubbing alcohol? makeup remover? nail polish remover?!) and it's not coming off.

I guess the universe is trying to tell me to stop putting makeup on and clogging my pores which is probably what is causing my acne.

But, no. My acne is all genetics. I'm trying to drink more water. Maybe that'll help (probably not). And if it doesn't, at least I'll be really hydrated.

I really admire people who post pictures of themselves on this site. With or without makeup. I would never be able to do that. (Also because I'm paranoid of stalkers on the internet and stuff, but ... anyway) So kudos to you.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by ppopsicle

DAY 3.

Tried not to touch face.

There is a stupid pimple under my CHIN. I don't usually get acne there, so I'm kind of mad about that. Hopefully my acne doesn't migrate down to my neck. That would suck.

I am resisting the urge to pop things on my cheeks.

I'm trying to get more sleep and drink more water, etc.

It's good that you're laying off of the chemicals; give your skin a break and a chance to breathe and feel normal again. Also, I, too, noticed, that going off bp for a while faded my red marks a bit.

It's good that you're laying off of the chemicals; give your skin a break and a chance to breathe and feel normal again. Also, I, too, noticed, that going off bp for a while faded my red marks a bit.

Yeah, it's nice to not have anything on my skin. I don't think doing nothing is helping much to reduce new pimples forming though. Sigh.

DAY 5.

I stared at my face for too long in the mirror today. I let myself pop a bunch of horrible things on my cheeks. I was so mad after but relieved at the same time. There's something so therapeutic about popping a pimple. I feel like the healing process can begin because I've removed all the junk inside.

There is a bump forming on my forehead. I am kind of annoyed because my forehead has been fairly clear for a long time now.

I will not pop anything from now on. Honestly.

I'm starting to wonder if I should go back to the benzoyl peroxide.

This is exactly what always happens. I suffer even more when I'm not lathering chemicals on my face, and then I go crawling back to my secret stash of BP.

I WILL DO NOTHING FOR AT LEAST TWO MONTHS!

On an unrelated note, we are finally putting up our Christmas tree tomorrow.

Edited by ppopsicle

DAY 7.

I am conducting an experiment.

There are two identical pimples on either of my cheeks. (Yay.)

So I squeezed one of them, because I could NOT help it, it was practically oozing but not quite after coming out of the shower.

The other one I didn't notice until after, and it is not really oozing. So I left it alone.

The pimple I squeezed: the pimple is darker. The area is kind of sore.

The pimple I didn't squeeze: it looks like it's still full of icky stuff. I really wish I could squeeze it, but I won't.

The rest of my face: there are new pimples on the sides of my face. My forehead is relatively clear. My cheeks are mainly dark marks/scarring?! and those two active pimples which I am experimenting on.

Good day.

DAY 8.

The pimple that I popped is not swollen. It is dark and will most likely scar.

The pimple that I did not pop is still THERE. It's PROTRUDING from my face. There is still CRAP beneath the surface. (Must not squeeze, must not squeeze) I don't think it'll scar though.

I guess that's the difference.

Popped pimples are easier to cover with makeup.

A few days ago:

We are under harsh fluorescent high-school-hallway lighting.

Person Whose Privacy I Will Not Violate However Much I Want to: *peering intently at my lovely pimples* ... are you wearing cover-up?

What I Really Wanted to Say: NO, OF COURSE NOT, IT'S SKIN-TONE CREAM THAT I WEAR JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT. DUH.

What I Actually Said: *covers face, cringing* Uh. Somewhat. Yeah. I guess. *shuffles away miserably*

kadjf;kjafkl;ja;fj;dkfj

I really want to rip my face off sometimes.

I have several horrible pimples on both of my cheeks. I really want to go back to the BP. But I won't.

Edited by ppopsicle

Milk can cause acne! Google it, I'm not 100% sure if it's been proven but I've read that there are hormones in cow milk (especially pregnant cows) that transfer to us when we drink milk!

Not just milk, but dairy products in general. I've cut out dairy from my diet until I can get my acne under control with the acne.org regimen... then I'll go back to eating dairy products in moderation. :)

A lot of people find that dairy breaks them out... you might be one of these people. Drink LOTS of water, though.

Edited by silverangelx

yes milk can cause acne in certain people. not all but it can. dairy products overall can cause cause i think. drink some water. avoid red meat. theres just a bunch of hormones that the cows are injected with which is then in the milk. this POSSIBLY can cause people who consume products with a lot of hormones to break out. i truly believe that your diet DOES dictate how your acne is. it may not be a big factor in some but it does have an effect.