Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are everyone's thoughts on it? Anyone have it? Or think they have it?

Do I...

I am pretty obsessed with my skin. I think I see it worse than it actually is (but doesn't this apply to every one? Even people without acne?). I make sure I cover every blemish when I go to school (concealer) and when I see everyone else with their pimples/acne unconcealed and they seem unaffected, it makes me feel like a paranoid freak.

There are days where I will have like one or two really baddd and uncoverable pimples and I will actually stay home from school. My skin stops me from doing A LOT of things and definitely holds me back, but I can't help but think it's much worse in my head than what other people see.

It's not like the rest of my face is flawless, I do have many scars and whatnot but the most pimples I'll have at a time are like 4? Something like that. I know some people would kill to have only 3-4 pimples but it absolutely kills me and my confidence. I am so so so self conscious and insecure about my skin. It's pretty ridiculous.

Any advice...?

If you only have a couple pimples you are extremely fortunate. Spot treat it with benzoyl peroxide and it will disappear; you could also use a concealer.

how could u actually skip school just because of ur skin? there's many other much worse than u but still go to school

hi

i think i have acne dysmorphia as well

skipping school, work, social events etc because of skin problems is not uncommon if you have bad acne, i'm sure lots of people on this site have done it. you can easily become more of a recluse and avoid seeing people because you hate your skin so much.

anyway sorry i don't have any advice. try searching for body dysmorphia on the net and maybe there are support websites with advice on.

best of luck

I am in a constant state of anxiety about my face. The worst part is...if I have to speak publicaly. I'll break out in a rash and the most prominate rashy places are those which have red marks and scars. I look like a freak. Most people don't even want to look at me. And it seems like i always am made to talk in front of my class and what not...

The sometimes acne you have is not to be scared of. :D

Be happy as you are not alone and acne is part of us all ;)

Go to school and be happy in your heart. The people here understand your soul. :D

isabel xxx

you may have a slight case of it. more serious cases are people dropping out of school or quitting work and even if there skin is fine they wont even look at people or go outside. in the mirror they se a beast and religiously do routines for there skin and check it hundreds of times a day.

you may have a slight case of it. more serious cases are people dropping out of school or quitting work and even if there skin is fine they wont even look at people or go outside. in the mirror they se a beast and religiously do routines for there skin and check it hundreds of times a day.

Yeah those are the serious cases and dysmorphia caused by skin is most prevalent, it's quite sad that they are the only ones putting this upon themselves. We are our worse critics...I think even less severe cases can still impair lives.

I think repetitive negative thoughts combined with negative feelings may be a possible cause.

Solution? I don't know if it will work on you, but you can probably do your own little CB therapy:

Look at it rationally, KNOW that you are dysmorphic. KNOW that you are overreacting,

KNOW what it's doing to your life. KNOW that it's actually not that bad. In other words, think realistically.

Stop negative thoughts!! and stop looking in mirrors so muchh.

When you DO look at a mirror..STOP.. control your feelings...Relax.. breath in* Breath out*

Loose the tension in your body...

whenever you feel tension from your skin....

STOP the negative thoughts and feelings.

and just do your thing.

This should be done over time with determination and consistency.

Edited by LaiPt

You arent alone in that you didnt want to go out to shcool cos of your acne, i know the feeling real well.

If you think you really have this problem then do yourself the favor of seeing the doc, but if it helps in any way i would just say do your best to not let it bother you and not care what you think others think. It has slowly worked for me, i now go outside a lot more than i used to, before it was likt i was in jail or something ya know. Yeah it sucks but just jeep your head.

I have the textbook case of acne dysmorphia. They could write research papers about me.

I've had it since I was a teenager, and am now 38. I've had acne pretty consistently since the teenage years, with some clear periods. When my acne subsides I feel good, but it inevitably comes back and I need a new treatment.

I recently had what I believe is a hormonal breakout compared with a bad reaction to retin-a, and my face went nuts. Needless, to say, I've been an emotional wreck. I have all the textbook symptoms:

obsession with skin, thinking about it 24/7

depression

anxiety

shame

suicidal thoughts

unable to focus on anything

lack of sleep

lack of appetite

missing days of work / lack of productivity

fear that everyone's looking and laughing

feelings of worthlessness and helplessness

checking the mirror every 2 seconds for new developments

I am getting psychological and dermatological help but it's a slow process and very frustatrating. I want this acne gone NOW and I want to feel better NOW. If only there were such a miracle.

I think, "If only the acne would go away, I would be ok." But I know there are deeper issues than that.

Good luck to all.

I have the textbook case of acne dysmorphia. They could write research papers about me.

I've had it since I was a teenager, and am now 38. I've had acne pretty consistently since the teenage years, with some clear periods. When my acne subsides I feel good, but it inevitably comes back and I need a new treatment.

I recently had what I believe is a hormonal breakout compared with a bad reaction to retin-a, and my face went nuts. Needless, to say, I've been an emotional wreck. I have all the textbook symptoms:

obsession with skin, thinking about it 24/7

depression

anxiety

shame

suicidal thoughts

unable to focus on anything

lack of sleep

lack of appetite

missing days of work / lack of productivity

fear that everyone's looking and laughing

feelings of worthlessness and helplessness

checking the mirror every 2 seconds for new developments

I am getting psychological and dermatological help but it's a slow process and very frustatrating. I want this acne gone NOW and I want to feel better NOW. If only there were such a miracle.

I think, "If only the acne would go away, I would be ok." But I know there are deeper issues than that.

Good luck to all.

Oh my god I know exactly how you feel. I am nearly 36 and still having problems with my skin. However, I came to the conclusion that I have BDD. I know my acne isn't as bad as some people (none that I know however!) but it is bad to me and by the age of 35 you expect to have grown out of all this. I feel disgusting. Don't want anyone to look at me, including my husband. Have missed work. Am not seeing friends. Am not going out, even to the shops. I do a two mile run most nights but only when dark and only on a quiet road. It is ridiculous I know but I can't help the way I feel and today has been one of the worst days in a while. I just got worse and worse as the day went on.

Anyhow, just to say you aren't alone. Hopefully we will both get our skin and our psychological problems sorted.

U take care x

We're twins across the pond, Lumpy D! You sound just like me.

The boyfriend keeps assuring me that I'm pretty and that my skin isn't bad, but I just can't believe him.

It is ridiculous, isn't it. We know it's ridiculous but we can't stop thinking that way. Body dysmorphia is a very strange illness.

Not that I would wish this on anyone, but it's comforting to know that I'm not alone.

Honestly, people like to talk about "dysmorphia" a whole lot on this board, and while I'm sure there are real sufferers out there, I think most of us are afflicted with nothing more than human nature. Virtually everyone is insecure about something, and it's not at all unusual to be self-conscious or even depressed if you suffer from acne. In fact, not being bothered by it would seem far stranger to me.

I've definitely been going through a similar situation this year -- feeling uncontrollably obsessed with my skin, to the point where I felt paralyzed from doing the things I wanted to do. For me it was mainly because I realized my skin was scarring (permanently). I'm getting better now, in part because I've treated the acne (though the scars are still there) but also because I've done cognitive behavioral therapy. Having a skin condition is tough and it is normal to be self-conscious about it, but when it starts to take over your life, getting help is not a bad idea. It can seem hopeless when you genuinely don't like the way you look, but when you start to examine what you're thinking that makes you feel *that* bad you realize that actually many of those thoughts are irrational. Even if you already know that what you're thinking is irrational, therapy helps you to examine why you're thinking like that in the first place and gives you the tools to challenge those thoughts.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, for those people who really feel out of control, it can get better.

Ages since I've posted on here. Unfortunately nothing changed for me. I seen a dermatologist for a nodule, got injected and it has caused a slight scar. My skin has gone through ups and downs. Never brilliant though. I am going through a really crap time just now. Massive red lumps everywhere and whiteheads. I will be 38 next year. I can't believe I still have acne. Why why why did I have to get adult acne. Not only does it make me depressed, ill, sick, but makes me feel vain, makes me feel shallow, makes me feel guilty for my husband, guilty for being off work when I am at my worst skin and depressed wise, makes me feel stupid, ugly, self obsessed. OMG the list goes on and unfortunately nothing good to add to it. I'd love to be stronger and say bugger it. Unfortunately I can't. I have been to therapy god knows how many times I've been to a Psyciatrist, counsellor, doctor, hypnotist all more than once and yes this list goes on too. Nothing has worked for me. I am trying to get counselling again. I felt my downward spiral start over the past month. Unfortunately I am at an all time low. The waiting list to see somebody is in the region of 8+ weeks. It does seem that when you really need help it is difficult to find and get it. I am off work just now and very low. My husband works so I called a helpline yesterday. Not their fault but absolutely nothing they said helped. All it did was help me avoid a mirror for the five minutes I was on the phone. I am also bkd to go back to the dermatologist. He said previous that I had some whiteheads or at least he thought it was?! i thought as a derm, he would know. He didn't want to do anything with them but now they are going mad. Turning into mass whiteheads and big red lumps. So fed up of trying to 1. Sort my skin to some sort of decent level. A few little pimples I could handle, not what I have all over my face just now however. 2. Trying to sort out my mental state of mind. I'm nuts and my poor husband does't understand what I am going through as much as he tries. I really do feel at my wits end. Sorry for going on and on again. Just typing this escaped me from scruitinising and picking my face in the mirror for a few minutes. Much love to everyone x

I feel like I look pretty damn hideous with my acne too. But the thought that keeps me from skipping work is this, that I'm just going to accept that I'm ugly right now. Like, there's really no question about it - I'm not going to sit around secretly hoping that some passerby is going to look at me and find me pretty despite my acne. Because there's no hope, I really just no longer give a f*ck for the most part. I've developed social anxiety since acne started so I don't interact with people of my own free will pretty much... at all, but hey, I need money so show up to work it is.