Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quick90

Blood test: before or after??

Just starting accutane, & my doctor has requested blood tests for "next week" am I meant to get tests done before I start on accutane? or are they to see how I react after one week on accutane?

My derm got me to have blood tests before I started, then when I rang in and everything was fine I was allowed to fill my prescription. Now 2 months later I've just had to do my second set of tests to see if everything is still fine and so I can continue.

I think it works along these lines for most people, thought the intervals in which you have your subsequent tests may be different. But you definitely have one before you start.

What country do you live in? The process differs from country to country. I'd suggest getting the blood test as soon as possible.

I live in Canada and had to take a bloodtest before starting Accutane. I'll have to take another after a month of being on Accutane.

Yes you should really get them done before you start the drug or at the very beginning.

That way when they get the results it is easy for them to see any abnormalities or problems that are being caused by the accutane as you get further blood tests done. They test your kidney, liver (important one) and some other stuff I can't remember - a general blood count I think.

I asked to look at my results at the end of my course to see if I could spy any liver damage - it looked a bit different if I can recall but she seemed reluctant and blabbed on about that was fine and normal. All I could think was, you just don't want me to know the damage it has done to my liver in case I cause a fuss over the use of the drug. I'm not stupid I know it didn't do me any favours there lady! :doh: