Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul25

Can brown rice cause constipation?

Previously i have been quite regular to the toilet as ive eaten quite alot of high fibre foods, fruit and veg etc. I had never eaten brown rice until this year and it became a food i ate pretty much everyday for the last few months.

For the last few months though i have been struggling to go to the toilet, i can usually go in the morning but i cant remember the last time i was actually able to go after that time of the day for the last few months. I noticed the other night how horrible my stomach felt after eating alot of brown rice and i just got the thought in my head that it was possibly causing it. As it has alot of fibre in it, it seems to be recommended to relieve constipation so im probably completely wrong here but i was just wondering if anyone has had anything like this before?

There's a book i've been wanting to read called "Fiber Menace".

again i haven't read it yet.

but i hear it's about the "fiber myth".

basically More fiber does not always equal better health.

Don't get me wrong. Fiber is important. But too much fiber can clog us up just like not enough fiber.

I guess i'll know more after i read it.

You can check it out as well and share with us.

Don't get me wrong. Fiber is important. But too much fiber can clog us up just like not enough fiber.

I'm pretty sure that book was pretty biased and mainly attacked processed wheat and foods with additional fibers instead of looking at the health effects of healthy foods containing fiber,

Fiber is a needed in a healthy diet. Don't be swayed by radicals.

If complex carbs cause problems you may have poor digestion.

Edited by Packerfan785

You'll get used it... but it takes a while hehe

When I first started eating ezekiel bread and whey protein I used to have bad gas... and it was awful.... very horrible.

My room smelled like if I've been farting constantly for hours.

=

Edited by EddieE

lol boys will be boys

Oh you boys talking about poo poo on here to make acne be away is funny :D

Eat the rice and try your best. It is what counts is what effort you bring and you will have a happy heart. ;)

isabel xxx

Any rice can cause constipation, but usually that can be offset by adding additional fluids and exercise (if you're not getting enough). Add some vegetable/fruit sources, too.

lol boys will be boys

Oh you boys talking about poo poo on here to make acne be away is funny :D

Eat the rice and try your best. It is what counts is what effort you bring and you will have a happy heart. ;)

isabel xxx

Yep! I agree :)

Brown rice is super healthy. I would suggest Quinoa because it taste better..... Well to me.

It may be that brown rice just does not agree with your body. Maybe you should stick to other whole grains- quinoa and millet are supposed to be better choices. :) Are you relying on grains for most of your fiber intake more so than on fruits and veggies? If you're backed up it'd be a really good idea to do some bowel cleansing too (colonics and/or enemas). We can all benefit from bowel cleansing even if we're not backed up.

I'm pretty sure that book was pretty biased and mainly attacked processed wheat and foods with additional fibers instead of looking at the health effects of healthy foods containing fiber,

Fiber is a needed in a healthy diet. Don't be swayed by radicals.

If complex carbs cause problems you may have poor digestion.

It's actually not as radical as it seems.

I too was always under the impression that the more fiber the better. However,...

Supposedly a couple 19th century nutritionists started pushing fiber (specifically bran cereal) onto people because they thought it would help control people's sexual urges! (kellog & graham?)

Also, the Harvard School of Medicine recently concluded that they could find no statistical evidence that fiber has any benefits in colon cancers, etc. But fiber WILL give some people IBS and many other digestion illnesses.

this website talks about it.

(warning: that guy IS a radical-->carnivore diet, but it still gets the point across)

Fiber is great. One of the many reasons I love green smoothies. It does an excellent job of transporting waste out of the body. However, the body can't digest it so it unfriendly bacteria and yeast can feed on it.

If you're having problems with fiber, you may have an unbalanced gut flora.

Overall, I think excessive fiber IS unnecessary.

With adequate amounts of fruits and vegetables, you'll get plenty of fiber.

The important thing is, if you are constipated(not going after a large meal), that is something you need to take care of because it can indisputably lead to acne. But you don't have to be going to the bathroom 3-4 times a day.

Experiment with your fiber intake. Experiment with your fat intake. Experiment with probiotics.

I dont think its a fiber issue as i eat plenty of other foods with fiber that dont give me problems, strawberries, pineapples, green smoothies etc. Regarding exercise, i think i could go more than what i actually do, ill try upping this and see if it helps at all. Also, I drink plenty of water throughout the day so theres no problem there.

To black cat, i dont rely on grains been my intake of fiber more than fruit and veg, i eat loads and loads of frut!! lol. Brown rice was just a food i enjoyed away from fruit and veg, as im trying to keep my diet low fat and really running out of food ideas at the moment.

Also, when we do brown rice it gets plenty of cooking time so that shouldnt be causing a problem.

If this helps at all, when i have eaten rice cakes i can defiently tell they affect me in a bad way and i defiently wont be able to go to the toilet for a couple of days.

I wonder if you were to pre-soak the rice before cooking it, you would digest it better? It's recommended for grains so maybe it would apply to rice as well.

try coconut oil.

it's a fat that people rarely have problems with.

Fat is important in "keeping things moving".

think of it as a lubricant?

I think your low fat diet may be the problem.

How low fat are we talking about?

try coconut oil.

When i did the low fat thing once before i was going around 2-3 times a day but then ended up giving up, but i didnt seem to have any problems then (this was when i wasnt eating rice).

Usually in the morning i have a smoothie that contains some spinach and a couple of fruits. My lunch when at work is some sweet potatoes, cucumber and tuna, whilst what i have when i get home is usually some veg and some chicken. If im feeling hungry late on i will have a pineapple, so overall theres nothing at all really that is very fattening.

try coconut oil.

When i did the low fat thing once before i was going around 2-3 times a day but then ended up giving up, but i didnt seem to have any problems then (this was when i wasnt eating rice).

Usually in the morning i have a smoothie that contains some spinach and a couple of fruits. My lunch when at work is some sweet potatoes, cucumber and tuna, whilst what i have when i get home is usually some veg and some chicken. If im feeling hungry late on i will have a pineapple, so overall theres nothing at all really that is very fattening.

doesn't sound like there's enough fat at all

Ive been to the toilet this morning (as im always able to, just not at any other time it seems) but it was quite bloody :confused: That couldnt be caused by low fat could it? Also to note my gums bleed as well :(

You d know that brown rice has a similiar gi to white rice!!

Look for whole grain rice or brown basmati

these have a low gi!!

Doubt that is really a problem tho!!