Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adolescent

SCARS!!! Can it go away?

Of course! Scars go away in time, it just depends on the scar. Some heal faster than others. You should use creams to accommodate healing. Taking vitamins, fish oil capsules and biotin helps internally. Externally, I hear jojoba oil/primrose oil and vitamin E creams work. Vitamin A is really good for congestion overall and healthy skin to prevent acne. Just cleans and use a good moisturiser :)

Scars take two years to completely heal. If you heal very well, they may become invisible. If you don't (like most of us) there will be a permanent scar. Starting a scar treatment immediately is important. Vitamin E is REALLY BAD. Don't use it. Lots of clinical studies show it does nothing but cause allergies.

Use vitamin c and dimethicone. I've been using this cream www.inviciblescars.com for a while. It's expensive, but it works.

No problems, RoseP is right. It just depends on each person, so trial and error I guess. I used over the counter products and even Proactiv until I finally found something that worked for me. My products contain lots of antioxidants + Vitamins A, C and E + don't forget a really good sunscreen or your scars will turn to brown and will fade even slower.

You should read this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Vitamin-B...ion-t15341.html

It's about taking b5 pills to combat acne and there have been some good results.

Is it real that scars can go away while time goes by? In that period of time... Should i use any scar cream? or just let it be? :confused:

Remember if you took Accutane, how many people get scars on this forum, then be very very careful on how you use Vitamin A. Please search the forums if you want to use it. I don't use it at all because I don't want the risk.

Best Wishes

Scars do "fade" over time, however this may take years. I too have acne scars and I've been trying at home remedies with Retin A and exfoliation peels...I've been doing this for well over a year and haven't seen that much improvement. I don't want to be a pessimist, but if you are really serious about clearing your scarring I would see a plastic surgeon (not a dermatologist) for some insight. Just think about it, I don't know if you have ever had chicken pox as a kid, but if you did I'm sure your parents told you not to pick at them because they would scar...Children who have scarring from chicken pox still have these scars as adults.

Scars do "fade" over time, however this may take years. I too have acne scars and I've been trying at home remedies with Retin A and exfoliation peels...I've been doing this for well over a year and haven't seen that much improvement.

I just found out that retin-A makes your skin worse before actually working.

I tried it at the beginning of the year and it gave me hypersensitivity and broke me out even worse, I wish I knew before!

Honestly, Retin A was the only thing that helped my skin...it's not for everyone though, I know it can cause some peeling and redness but I put that stuff on a zit and it's gone in two days! I haven't had any more scarring since I've started using it either. Maybe you were allergic to it or maybe you were using a strength that was too high for you skin. I use the 0.1% and that's the strongest strength, .025% did nothing for me. Sorry you had such a bad reaction because it is an awesome medicine!

Oh yeah. Glad it worked for you Rhea Rose!

I did something I'll never do again - I used a prescriptive topical ointment when it wasn't my prescription and it screwed up my skin.

A word of* warning kids.

Edited by Brissyguy

Retin A has helped me some as well. The key is managing any potential outbreak and taking it slow. I used a precription antibiotic creme for quite sometime (months) before I started retin-a. Hence, I did not have a breakout when I started retin a.

And things do look worse before they look better; scars will also look better once you've been on the medication for a long time and then stop (it seems like once you allow the layers of skin to return, the skin looks even better).

It's especially useful if your skin texture is poor.

I encourage everyone with scars to WAIT. Use a retinoid to help, and just wait. I went through my cystic breakout 2 1/2 years ago. I was left with horrid, pitted scars at age 26 all along my jawline and cheeks. I was frantic. They were definitely noticeable and some were very deep.

I started on a retinoid, and my scars seemed to get worse for a while. This scared me and made me sick to my stomach. But then after 6-12 months they got better. Now, over two years later, you can hardly see my scars (and they used to be very deep).

Skin takes a while to repair itself, and it will keep improving over time. Wait at least a year before doing anything drastic. My scars have improved to the point that only the deepest ones remain very noticeable. I highly recommend a retinoid (I use Differin, I can't tolerate Retin-A; there is also Tazorac). This will help minimize the scars, but it will take time.

Hey!! Wanna ask u guyz... Should i settle the acnes first, then only go for the scars... or do it both togather? Bsides im using a gel for scar call HiruScarGel... it contain Aloe Vera as wad u all have say... is this product good? :dance: