Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

At my two week appointment, my derm informed me that my triglyceride level had gone from an already bad 297 pre-Accutane to almost 600. That is after taking Accutane only 9 days. Yikes!

She told me that if my numbers aren't better at the next visit in 2 weeks, she'll have to take me off Accutane.

Here is what she advised:

Cut out fats

Cut out sugar (as much as possible)

Take Omega-3 supplement (I'm a vegetarian -- so I chose FlaxSeed Oil rather than fish oil)

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what worked to get your triglyceride levels down? I've only got 2 weeks to do it -- so I need some help to figure out the best way to get them down in the fastest way possible. I REALLY don't want to stop taking Accutane.

My diet is pretty bad normally. I'm overweight and eat too much sugar which is why my triglycerides were elevated to begin with. But, my diet hasn't changed in the 9 days since I've been on Accutane (even with Thanksgiving -- I was very well behaved :)). So, the spike is pretty much caused by Accutane, but, if I can clean up my diet, I'm hoping to get my numbers down and keep it under the 600 mark so I won't have to stop taking Accutane. I didn't have this problem the first time I took Accutane, but I was also 10 years younger and 50 lbs lighter ...

tv_viewer: Thanks! That is very helpful. I'm going to post it on my fridge :)

These diet changes are something I should be making anyway ... just didn't have the willpower before -- but now I've got some strong motivation to stick with it!

That's a great list to go by. You may even find that the healthier Accutane eating habits turns into a complete lifestyle change. Now that you've got the motivation, there's no stopping ya. :) Best wishes!