Notifications
Clear all

Fish oil causing acne?

MemberMember
(@sushikam)

Posted : 12/03/2009 9:54 pm

Moved from Nutrition and Holistic Health Forum (sorry, didn't realize there was a vitamin forum til after I posted it!)

So I did a little quick reading on peoples reviews about how fish oil may cause acne. I understand it needs to be balanced with omega 6's and 9's (which I am not doing), but that sounds like a difficult thing to figure out in a timely manner.

Anyway, I have been taking 1200mg of fish oil, 50mg zinc, and 500 mg of vitamin C each day for pretty much two months exactly as of today (the same amount of time I have been on the regimen). I actually only added the vitamin C about 3 weeks ago.

I noticed that when I started the regimen, as well as these pills, that I started breaking out on my back...I never did before except for the occassional pimple probably from my bra. Well it got bad! I wasn't even doing the regimen there since I had no acne there, and I was really confused why I was breaking out. My chest has always broken out, got really bad at the start of the regimen, but is pretty clear as of today. My back is still breaking out bad, all on my upper back. But a couple days ago I noticed I am also breaking out on my lower lower back, right below my waist line...this is new to me!! My back just seems to be getting worse even though I continue to use the regimen religiously (as well as with the AHA+) on my back. And this week, my face has broken out really bad and I am not sure why. I haven't changed anything with the regimen or pills, so this is confusing to me. I mean I haven't cleared up yet, no where near it really, but I started getting more and more breakouts just recently.

I haven't taken the fish oil since Monday, so I've gone without it for 3 days as of today. I am going to test not taking it and see how it goes. If I see clearing, and clearing without another random flareup like I seem to be getting every couple weeks since I've started this, then I'll continue to stop taking it and just take the zinc and vitamin C.

Hope my back clears up, as well as some of my face too!! Has anyone had this kind of problem before??

EDIT: ADD: Also, I hardly ever got cysts before the regimen (like once or twice a year, one at a time). Now I get one nearly every two weeks, most on my jaw line and forehead, in the same exact spots each time. Another fish oil issue? I am just not going to take it for two weeks at least and see if it helps...heck...I may not go back to it out of fear!!

MemberMember
(@quality)

Posted : 12/04/2009 1:06 am

Moved from Nutrition and Holistic Health Forum (sorry, didn't realize there was a vitamin forum til after I posted it!)

So I did a little quick reading on peoples reviews about how fish oil may cause acne. I understand it needs to be balanced with omega 6's and 9's (which I am not doing), but that sounds like a difficult thing to figure out in a timely manner.

Anyway, I have been taking 1200mg of fish oil, 50mg zinc, and 500 mg of vitamin C each day for pretty much two months exactly as of today (the same amount of time I have been on the regimen). I actually only added the vitamin C about 3 weeks ago.

I noticed that when I started the regimen, as well as these pills, that I started breaking out on my back...I never did before except for the occassional pimple probably from my bra. Well it got bad! I wasn't even doing the regimen there since I had no acne there, and I was really confused why I was breaking out. My chest has always broken out, got really bad at the start of the regimen, but is pretty clear as of today. My back is still breaking out bad, all on my upper back. But a couple days ago I noticed I am also breaking out on my lower lower back, right below my waist line...this is new to me!! My back just seems to be getting worse even though I continue to use the regimen religiously (as well as with the AHA+) on my back. And this week, my face has broken out really bad and I am not sure why. I haven't changed anything with the regimen or pills, so this is confusing to me. I mean I haven't cleared up yet, no where near it really, but I started getting more and more breakouts just recently.

I haven't taken the fish oil since Monday, so I've gone without it for 3 days as of today. I am going to test not taking it and see how it goes. If I see clearing, and clearing without another random flareup like I seem to be getting every couple weeks since I've started this, then I'll continue to stop taking it and just take the zinc and vitamin C.

Hope my back clears up, as well as some of my face too!! Has anyone had this kind of problem before??

EDIT: ADD: Also, I hardly ever got cysts before the regimen (like once or twice a year, one at a time). Now I get one nearly every two weeks, most on my jaw line and forehead, in the same exact spots each time. Another fish oil issue? I am just not going to take it for two weeks at least and see if it helps...heck...I may not go back to it out of fear!!

its possible as everyone can react differently to different things. I a few months ago i started taking Vitamin D (after reading the thread on here about the person that got clear from taking it) and i broke out like i havent in many many months. I got a cyst on my cheek about the size of a quarter! everything else stayed consistent, so i found it best not to take vitamin D. Someone may say that it was just a coincidence and i get vitamin D from the sun everyday, but i know for a fact that the pills broke me out and would break me out again if i started back up. everyones different.

so if you feel that fish oil is breaking you out, it may be best to stop taking them all together

MemberMember
(@sml)

Posted : 12/04/2009 4:12 pm

I had heard that fish oil was very good for the skin, so i took it for a few months. I noticed I had more deep cystic acne than before, then it occured to me that it could be from the fish oil. I stopped taking it and it seemed to help after a few weeks of of it. I would try taking the zinc by itself for a month and see if you get any results. I've done that for the last 3 weeks and last week I suddenly stopped getting new pimples(first time i've been clear, beside residual red marks, in a few months. I recommend the zinc because I hear that vitamin c can interact with zinc and sometimes cause pimples on it's own. good luck. if you try it let me know how it works out for you

MemberMember
(@quality)

Posted : 12/05/2009 12:07 am

I had heard that fish oil was very good for the skin, so i took it for a few months. I noticed I had more deep cystic acne than before, then it occured to me that it could be from the fish oil. I stopped taking it and it seemed to help after a few weeks of of it. I would try taking the zinc by itself for a month and see if you get any results. I've done that for the last 3 weeks and last week I suddenly stopped getting new pimples(first time i've been clear, beside residual red marks, in a few months. I recommend the zinc because I hear that vitamin c can interact with zinc and sometimes cause pimples on it's own. good luck. if you try it let me know how it works out for you

source?

MemberMember
(@alex_09)

Posted : 12/29/2009 9:57 pm

same here. I confirmed that both fish oil and vitamin E have been breaking me out. what a disappointment . I have been having great results with vitamin A & Zinc though.

MemberMember
(@lara6)

Posted : 01/21/2010 4:10 am

Fish oil breaks me out too....it sucks.

I realized because I seem to be one of the few that is sensitive to IODINE.

So that means no dairy, seafood, soy, and most breads...

MemberMember
(@aussiesmile)

Posted : 01/22/2010 2:54 am

Fish oil also breaks me out but that doesn't matter because there are numerous other sources. Try some of the following:

*krill oil

*Chia seeds

*Flaxseed

*hemp oil

*walnuts

MemberMember
(@mizz_dimplezz)

Posted : 01/24/2010 10:27 pm

Me too. Took fish oil and flaxseed oil because I heard and read they were good for acne. They broke me out badly. But then again, a lot of things break me out as well, like biotin and sometimes vitamin c.

MemberMember
(@mellowgirl)

Posted : 04/06/2010 2:36 pm

fish oil cured my cystic acne. within a couple of days new ones stop popping up and if i stop taking the fish oil they return within a couple of weeks.

the brand i use is carlson super omega 3 fish oil it's available online. i don't know why it works but it's the only thing that ever has.

MemberMember
(@tofueater)

Posted : 04/06/2010 10:30 pm

haha...what losers, breaking out from fish...o wait...

*raises hand*

Although I don't break out in terms of quantity when I'm on fish oil, it's still as bad. Oddly and similarily, I get 1-3 PAINFUL, deep acne bumps whenever i'm on fish oil. I've even named them...Agatha...

I stopped taking 2 weeks ago, and the cystic acne went away. Back to regular zits...sigh...

MemberMember
(@just-someone)

Posted : 07/21/2010 12:13 am

I also break out badly due to fish oil. I thinkI am seriously allergic to it.

MemberMember
(@asar)

Posted : 11/02/2010 7:18 pm

Same here.

Broke out from flaxseed oil and fish oil too. Painful deep pimple on chin. sigh*

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 11/02/2010 7:37 pm

Me too. Caused bad bad cystic acne on the cheek area. Stopped using it and the cysts stopped too.

MemberMember
(@skiz)

Posted : 11/02/2010 10:52 pm

Cod Liver is the only thing that works good for me. Carlson's lemon liquid gave me a bunch of tiny whiteheads under around my mouth that almost looked like some weird rash. The pills made my back break out like crazy (same reaction I get to cheese). Flaxseed was terrible.

I still will break out from trigger foods and fats that don't agree with me (probably leaky gut), but Cod Liver oil really makes a difference in terms of skin appearance/smoothness, redness, and dandruff/seb derm reduction without making me breakout anywhere. I use the twinlabs unflavored liquid 1-2 tsp a day (just hold your breath and swig with water...I don't get burps). I know there's different opinions on cod liver oil in terms of vitamin A content and stuff, but i'm still going to take it since it's one of the few supps I can notice a difference with.

MemberMember
(@databased)

Posted : 11/03/2010 11:55 am

but I started getting more and more breakouts just recently.

But you may have started doing other things that you don't imagine are relevant to acne, such as getting less outdoor light in your eyes, sleeping less long/regularly, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't take a lot of fish oil without also taking a baby aspirin (see your doctor first, not advised for non-adults, etc.) in the hopes of generating those wonderful resolvins, but I've never found fish oil terribly relevant to my acne either way.

MemberMember
(@asar)

Posted : 11/03/2010 2:34 pm

Yup, I hate flaxseed now. If you are young, then just consume salmon once a week, you should be fine. I also took saw palmetto for a few days, broke me out as well.

Lesson is learned. If you don't have obvious hormonal imbalances, dont mess with these herbs. they might cause more problems.

I am deficient in Vitamin D. So currently, I have started taking vitamin D with calcium and magnesium. Also a low dose of zinc, copper, selenium and chromium.

I just hope this damn break out from flaxseed and saw palmetto goes away soon!

MemberMember
(@lowdosetaneftw)

Posted : 11/08/2010 7:59 pm

On paper, fish oil cannot cause acne because its anti inflammatory. What are brand are you using?

MemberMember
(@strwberry2178)

Posted : 12/25/2010 7:02 pm

I'm really glad I found this thread...I started taking fish oil pills in the spring for my knees...and noticed that my cheeks started breaking out for the first time in 5 years (I have also been using benzaclin for the past 5 years too). I am now wondering if it's from the fish oil pills!! I might stop taking them and see if my cheeks clear up!!

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 12/26/2010 8:42 am

Take Twin Lab UNFLAVORED Liquid Cod Liver Oil. The junk that's being sold as fish oil is just that: junk. I've bought the cheap-o stuff from Walmart... broke open a pill by chewing it and guess what... it isn't even fish oil! It's like...water in a capsule!

At least with the liquid liver oil I -KNOW- if it's liver oil (duh) and I -KNOW- if it's rancid or not.

http://www.amazon.com/Twinlab-Norwegian-Li..._ecc_rvi_cart_1

Subscribe to it (you can cancel at any time) to get an even larger discount with free shipping. Total cost comes to like $4/month depending on how much of this stuff you swig. Cheaper and better than any of the "other" stuff out there that costs twice as much.

MemberMember
(@idolator)

Posted : 12/28/2010 3:48 am

I think Fish Oil might be causing me to get more acne too, I've been taking it for over two years without really stopping, so it's a good thing to experiment with.

To test it out, I quit taking it four days ago, and have been seeing some results. The following day or two after I quit taking it, I didn't really have any new acne, maybe one small white head that was easy to get rid of, but nothing else. Eventually, I also noticed a couple of bumps in areas that got a head later on, but other than that, nothing really major. I'll keep off it for a week or two and see what happens.

MemberMember
(@kittenpaw)

Posted : 01/02/2011 3:35 pm

my god.. I was just so excited to buy fish oil supplements -brand i chose is nordic naturals- but as I read here I'm worried what happens if I take.. :( do u think if your break outs might be caused by over dose that your liver might have reacted to it? I was thinking of taking not daily but 2-3 pills a week.

MemberMember
(@ihatepimplesgrr)

Posted : 01/03/2011 12:31 pm

Take Twin Lab UNFLAVORED Liquid Cod Liver Oil. The junk that's being sold as fish oil is just that: junk. I've bought the cheap-o stuff from Walmart... broke open a pill by chewing it and guess what... it isn't even fish oil! It's like...water in a capsule!

At least with the liquid liver oil I -KNOW- if it's liver oil (duh) and I -KNOW- if it's rancid or not.

Subscribe to it (you can cancel at any time) to get an even larger discount with free shipping. Total cost comes to like $4/month depending on how much of this stuff you swig. Cheaper and better than any of the "other" stuff out there that costs twice as much.

You know, you probably shouldn't be taking that Twinlab Cod Liver Oil... It's been named in a lawsuit in California (both Twinlab Norwegian Cod Liver Oil and Twinlab Emulsified Norwegian Cod Liver Oil) as having an excessive amount of PCBs. I wouldn't take cod liver oil from any brand anyway, because the liver is a detoxifying organ, so oil taken from the liver of a fish will have more toxins in it. This usually isn't the case with regular fish oil!

I don't know what brand of fish oil you bought, but it obviously was a very cheap and non-reputable brand. When buying fish oil, look for a few things: that it's enteric coated (meaning that you won't get any fish burps), that it's molecularly distilled (to rid it of PCBs/mercury/other toxins), and that it has a high concentration of EPA and DHA (the omega-3s). Many fish oils only have a combined amount of 300mg of EPA and DHA. Two brands that I found work well for me in controlling acne are Berkley & Jensen Odorless Fish Oil (sold at BJ's) and NOW Ultra Omega-3. The former has about 600mg of omega-3s and the latter has 750mg (which I'm taking now!). Nordic Naturals has an even higher concentration, but it's about $60 for 90 servings. But, yeah, fish oil has been great for me... Stay away from cod liver oil!

MemberMember
(@ihatepimplesgrr)

Posted : 01/03/2011 12:34 pm

You know, you probably shouldn't be taking that Twinlab Cod Liver Oil... It's been named in a lawsuit in California (both Twinlab Norwegian Cod Liver Oil and Twinlab Emulsified Norwegian Cod Liver Oil) as having an excessive amount of PCBs. I wouldn't take cod liver oil from any brand anyway, because the liver is a detoxifying organ, so oil taken from the liver of a fish will have more toxins in it. This usually isn't the case with regular fish oil!

I don't know what brand of fish oil you bought, but it obviously was a very cheap and non-reputable brand. When buying fish oil, look for a few things: that it's enteric coated (meaning that you won't get any fish burps), that it's molecularly distilled (to rid it of PCBs/mercury/other toxins), and that it has a high concentration of EPA and DHA (the omega-3s). Many fish oils only have a combined amount of 300mg of EPA and DHA. Two brands that I found work well for me in controlling acne are Berkley & Jensen Odorless Fish Oil (sold at BJ's) and NOW Ultra Omega-3. The former has about 600mg of omega-3s and the latter has 750mg (which I'm taking now!). Nordic Naturals has an even higher concentration, but it's about $60 for 90 servings. But, yeah, fish oil has been great for me... Stay away from cod liver oil!

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/03/2011 9:05 pm

I don't feel like dissecting your ramble of a post, because literally every sentence is just whack as hell. You have ZERO idea what you're talking about.

MemberMember
(@sandman21)

Posted : 01/03/2011 9:32 pm

I don't feel like dissecting your ramble of a post, because literally every sentence is just whack as hell. You have ZERO idea what you're talking about.

Then why did YOU bother posting?