Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Packerfan785

Should I just give up on diet

Diet helps my acne, but does not clear it.

However I am trying to gain weight and lift and it is impossible to do while cutting out gluten and dairy. It would be possible if I wasn't at college and had time on my hands and was able to choose a lot of my own food, but thats not the case.

Should I just get big with acne and wait for more specific causes of acne to be targeted? Eating whole wheat bread, peanut butter, occasional diary, etc would make my life so much easier, would not hurt my health (even if it affects my acne), and would make gaining weight achievable.

I'm just at a breaking point. I have been dealing with this shit for two years and I just want to be normal, but acne is not only affecting my skin but my weight. I am starting to think that I shouldn't let it effect that, even if it means I have some more breakouts. I won't be satisfied until I'm near 100% clear anyways.

Do what you feel is best. If you are still at the growing age, you shouldn't pick and choose. Just go for it.

I didn't even notice that coffee was the main reason I was breaking out and it took me a year to figure it out after I decided to try this holistic way. You could however omit one food item of your choice for a couple weeks to see if that is your trigger or not and move on to the next. Good luck.

Do what you feel is best. If you are still at the growing age, you shouldn't pick and choose. Just go for it.

I didn't even notice that coffee was the main reason I was breaking out and it took me a year to figure it out after I decided to try this holistic way. You could however omit one food item of your choice for a couple weeks to see if that is your trigger or not and move on to the next. Good luck.

I've eaten extremely strict diets like paleo and low fat (all whole foods) for large portions of time and it never cleared me. I would still get a couple of spots every couple of days. I do get some bigger spots if I eat poorly, but I don't even know if it matters. I will be disappointed with my skin either way.

Basically I believe I would have found my trigger by now if it was something I was doing. There still may be a problem internally, but its not something of my doing.

Packerman,

I'm not a weightlifter nor am I male. But, maybe this can help you:

There are many other sources of protein other than meat and dairy. You can take a can of black beans, mash them up with salt, pepper and fresh parsley and a little "veganaise" (dairy-free mayonaise) and put it between two pieces of gluten-free toast, lettuce, purple onion and lettuce.

From my limited knowledge, there are many weightlifters who do not eat meat or dairy. I've read they put on "lean muscle." Take a look at this guy -- no one would ever guess that he doesn't eat meat or dairy: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/profile_avi_3.jpg

If you want to be a weightlifter and be dairy free, I suggest you look at advice by "vegan weightlifters" (search Google) because they have dozens of websites devoted to this topic.

I know they take rice protein supplements which are available at health food stores.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

Edited by Dotty1

Diet helps my acne, but does not clear it.

However I am trying to gain weight and lift and it is impossible to do while cutting out gluten and dairy. It would be possible if I wasn't at college and had time on my hands and was able to choose a lot of my own food, but thats not the case.

Should I just get big with acne and wait for more specific causes of acne to be targeted? Eating whole wheat bread, peanut butter, occasional diary, etc would make my life so much easier, would not hurt my health (even if it affects my acne), and would make gaining weight achievable.

I'm just at a breaking point. I have been dealing with this shit for two years and I just want to be normal, but acne is not only affecting my skin but my weight. I am starting to think that I shouldn't let it effect that, even if it means I have some more breakouts. I won't be satisfied until I'm near 100% clear anyways.

Same problems as you man, acne and trying to gain weight and wuz on a strict diet. I finally dished the diet and am slowly gaining some weight back and my acne is about the same. I am going to try that colostrum and pray for the best. Might as well try, just like i did the whole diet thing.

I am not worried about the protein, I am worried about the calories.

Vegan body builders go through tremendous eating regimens, stuffing in unthinkable amounts of fruits and veggies into themselves every single day. Even there are very few of them and they are not as big as their counterparts.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Ive been drinking a shitload of protein lately. I get about 1000-1500 of my calories from whey isolates right now on top of eating a few pounds of chicken breast, EVOO, sweet potatoes & rice with beef, peas etc. Im looking to add some ghee soon & Im gonna pick up some coconut flour to make some more carb foods with.

I dont think I'll ever touch peanut butter again personally

I'm in the same boat. I've been on this crazy diet for almost seven full months (no sugars, grains, processed, dairy etc). And now I am also on the acne.org regimen but still not clear!! I have and appointment with my derm next week and I'll ask for accutane. Don't care anymore, I'm 20 and it's my first year in college and I refuse to let those years go by me. Do the same?

would not hurt my health (even if it affects my acne)
I disagree, acne is a sign of poor health.

Acne is not a sign of poor health :rolleyes: There are many diff things that can correlate to having acne, not just poor health. Having a hormonal imbalance or genetics is not considered poor health. People like yourself need to get more educated on the subject before making such statements. There are a lot of people on this board that are doing all the healthy things possible and still have acne. Poor health is not always a sign there are many other factors. I suggest you look into them;)

oh my word uncle buck, go suck a big one will you.

and that link to the vegan body builder made my day. steriods *cough*

hey packer, I feel for you mate. at the end of the day everyone has spots. its human! your right really you should get big and not worry about the spots (if possible)

i tried the limiting foods thing since end of july this year. while it has helped its not solved the problem completely.

i still get painful nodules and such.

still have dark patches of skin etc.

so like you said, why let your weight suffer aswell?

i was down to 9.5 stone !! i am 22 and 6ft. this isnt good!

since eating what ever the hell i like (obvious not going overboard on anything, sweets sugar etc) i am back to 10.5 stone. and much happier.

i have recently bought some BCAA's and protein natural powder (no artifical flavours etc)

and I just want to get back into shape. as i feel i have let my time in the gym suffer because i was worried about spots.

in fact its just crossed my mind to eat everything i want to and if things get really ugly, then accutane is always on the door step.

Edited by want2beme

Acne is not a sign of poor health :rolleyes: There are many diff things that can correlate to having acne, not just poor health. Having a hormonal imbalance or genetics is not considered poor health. People like yourself need to get more educated on the subject before making such statements. There are a lot of people on this board that are doing all the healthy things possible and still have acne. Poor health is not always a sign there are many other factors. I suggest you look into them;)

Chronic acne is a sign that something is wrong internally... It could be a hormonal imbalance or something else. It doesn't mean the person is eating poorly, but SOMETHING is going on. People can be genetically predisposed to getting acne, but there still has to be something to trigger it.

Chronic acne is a sign that something is wrong internally... It could be a hormonal imbalance or something else. It doesn't mean the person is eating poorly, but SOMETHING is going on. People can be genetically predisposed to getting acne, but there still has to be something to trigger it.

So what did I do to trigger acne when I ate a strict paleo diet, and how are other people stuffing themselves with junk not triggering it?

So what did I do to trigger acne when I ate a strict paleo diet

I don't know. Could be a million things. Maybe you were still eating foods that you are sensitive to. Maybe you have a hormonal disorder that goes beyond what diet can fix. Maybe you have mercury toxicity like I do.

and how are other people stuffing themselves with junk not triggering it?

Because they don't have acne-prone skin.

That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I eat perfectly, and I mean it. I never slip up at all and exercise 6 times a week. I am in excellent shape, even went extremely strict vegan for a while (no dairy, eggs, flesh meat, and I added in sugar). My doctor tells me I am in very good health. What is wrong with me then, huh?

Geez, some people need to lighten up. I didn't mean it as an attack. Kaleidoscope summed it up much better. Apologies but I still stand by my comment, it's the sad truth in this modern world that many of us are in poor health without it always being our fault. That's why we're here.

I didn't notice diet doing anything for me, and I was miserable doing it. My diet was pretty much chicken, fish, gluten free stuff, some fruits, some vegetables and not much more. Now I'm back to eating normal food and my acne is exactly the same if not a bit better.

So I'm happier I went off it.

You should get a hormones test. I got my test done at a hospital. My results came out "normal". I hope you do realize that body building raises your hormones and is known to cause acne. It was talked about in Dr. Perricone's book. I think I remember it saying it raised testosterone. If you feel miserable, go back to eating what you want. Acne itself can tear someone apart so you don't want to increase it. If I were you, I would keep the diet and cut down on the working out aka: weight lifting. Finally, get an allergy food test. It will tell you what is creating inflammation in your body which results in acne. It may surprise you what you're allergic to without having that throat closing side effect.

Edited by acnejean

You should get a hormones test. I got my test done at a hospital. My results came out "normal". I hope you do realize that body building raises your hormones and is known to cause acne. It was talked about in Dr. Perricone's book. I think I remember it saying it raised testosterone. If you feel miserable, go back to eating what you want. Acne itself can tear someone apart so you don't want to increase it. If I were you, I would keep the diet and cut down on the working out aka: weight lifting. Finally, get an allergy food test. It will tell you what is creating inflammation in your body which results in acne. It may surprise you what you're allergic to without having that throat closing side effect.

Is raising testosterone naturally really a problem? There is no way in hell I am not going to work out because some crackpot on the internet says it might cause acne. (I'm not referring to you by the way)

What I was trying to say in my original post is that the benefit my skin gets from a strict diet, in my opinion, no longer outweighs not being able to put on weight.

However I have decided to stay on my diet. If any of you can think of easy, gluten free/dairy free foods I can make/store in my dorm that would be great.

Currently I have:

Microwavable Brown Rice

Tuna

Apples

Hardboiled Eggs

Beef Vegetable Soup

Homemade Chili

I also go to the Chipotle on campus and get the burrito bowl with rice, beans, peppers, onions, salsa, and lettuce for a nice 600 calorie meal occasionally.

The cafeteria has Chicken Breast, Turkey, and some other foods that fit my diet occasionally, but not consistently.

Im not sure what you mean.

Is your strict diet preventing you from working out and building muscle?

there are plenty of athletes that eat nothing but whole foods and perform at elite levels.

For instance (just picked one randomly) MMA fighter BJ Penn's typical dinner is a portion of meat, some veggies and some brown rice. You can find alot of videos of his meals on youtube or bjpenn.com

Many Crossfit athletes will tell you they eat nothing but whole foods and many even eat "paleo".

Some of those guys can pick up and throw their own bodyweight!

U mentioned being worried about not getting enough calories.

Maybe increase consumption of meat and fruit. both have alot of calories.

Do eggs break you out?

They're an incredibly cheap source of protein, fat and cholesterol!

Perfect for the college kid and the bodybuilder.

Eggs are only 75 calories a piece. I did mention that I have hard boiled eggs in my dorm.

Elite athletes have all day to eat and train and an abundance of money. They have cooks and kitchens fit for restaurants.

They don't have to deal with the constrictions of being in a dorm and going to college.

Edited by Packerfan785

Just use benzoyl peroxide while "bulking" to kill and prevent new acne.

I remember back when I was really into bodybuilding and trying to gain as much weight as possible I would eat as much as 8 meals a day full of acne taboo foods, animal fats and proteins, etc. but my skin was clear because I was using benzoyl peroxide every night.

Now, I've severely restricted my calories to treat my acne naturally with no chemicals and yet I still break out with a few cysts and a lot of small whiteheads; for the past month or two I haven't gone above 1000 calories; on my worst days I probably didn't eat above 500 calories. All I eat these days is egg whites, cucumber slices, and a multivitamin. That's it.

Is raising testosterone naturally really a problem? There is no way in hell I am not going to work out because some crackpot on the internet says it might cause acne. (I'm not referring to you by the way)

What I was trying to say in my original post is that the benefit my skin gets from a strict diet, in my opinion, no longer outweighs not being able to put on weight.

However I have decided to stay on my diet. If any of you can think of easy, gluten free/dairy free foods I can make/store in my dorm that would be great.

Currently I have:

Microwavable Brown Rice

Tuna

Apples

Hardboiled Eggs

Beef Vegetable Soup

Homemade Chili

I also go to the Chipotle on campus and get the burrito bowl with rice, beans, peppers, onions, salsa, and lettuce for a nice 600 calorie meal occasionally.

The cafeteria has Chicken Breast, Turkey, and some other foods that fit my diet occasionally, but not consistently.

do you go to uwm?

I go to UW Madison.

I have always heard UW M to refer to Milwaukee, and just plain old UW for Madison.

Oh, i see. just wondering cuz i go to uw-milwaukee.