Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NibblyNoob

Pink mark left from scab

OK, I had an injury (kind of a cut) to my face on the left side of my chin awhile back and a scab formed. The injury was circular and a bit smaller than a dime. Well after the scab being on a few days, I accidentally rubbed it off when my skin was itchy. Now there's a bright reddish/pink mark in its place.

What should I put on it? Please not something I would have to go to the pharmacy for. Just something you might find in your average med kit or.. kitchen? I just applied Neosporin on it. Will it help any?

Also, how long till it will blend with the rest of my skin? I'm a whitey, but not like one of Jewish descent. I'm a bit more pink that that (not much). Or is the blemish a scar? D:

Please help, it looks like a flattened pimple or something! :(

Edited by NibblyNoob

Sounds like hyperpigmentation. I've moved this thread to the Red Marks Left After Acne board, since the pink mark you have is essentially the same thing.

There are lots of threads on this board about different treatments people have used to help fade marks like yours, but the only thing that will fade it completely is time.

k thnx for moving it :D

yeah I heard time is what really helps but how much time? Christmas is in like.. 3 weeks, and my birthday in 2...

I just hope it is not a scar :o

EDIT: Also, what about sunlight? Is that bad for it?

Edited by NibblyNoob

Everyone heals at different rates. Some marks can fade in a week or two, some take months, and some can even take years. I'd suggest that you look around this board and see what methods you might consider trying. (I, personally, use extra virgin olive oil to help fade any red marks I get, and it's worked wonderfully for me. There's a thread on that here.)

Sun and tanning can seem to make red marks fade, because tanning darkens your skin, so the mark isn't as obvious. Unfortunately, the reality is that that tanning can actually prolong red marks.

Alrighty, I just put the EVOO on. I'll be going to bed soon. I shall post any results tomorrow. :)

I'll follow this "regimen" (putting it on during the day and at night, about 2-3 times each day) for a few days, see if anything changes.

I recommend Aloe Vera with some Moisturizer, works like a charm for those big pimples that scab over. Heals my pigmentation and pimple in around 3 days, which is suhweeeeet...

@c'est la vigne: ty :)

@minjaekwak: Well, my parents won't let me get a moisturizer cause my skin is kinda oily and frankly I don't need one either x3 Any BP I ever put on doesn't seriously dry out my skin, so yay! lol. I did try Aloe Vera two days ago, but stopped because I wasn't sure if the sunburn type was OK for a topical healing application for new skin.

@anyone: Well, it's been 1 night and I haven't noticed any big difference. It is slightly less pink, though I'm not sure if that is time or the EVOO. I will continue appllying it to see if there is any significant changes. :3

Edited by NibblyNoob

Alrightly, day 2 and I have seen a big difference in the color and it is much less noticeable. However, a nearby zit got worse (I'm guessing from the oil) so I didn't apply any this morning.

Everybody heals differently, so no one is going to be able to tell you how much longer it will take to fade. Sometimes hyperpigmentation will fade in a week or two, or, in some cases, it may last a year or so.

If the extra virgin olive oil isn't helping, maybe you should look into alternative methods. Whatever you decide to do, you're going to have to be patient. While there are several methods for speeding up the fading process, the only thing that can fade the marks completely is time.

Well it is kinda like a bump as well as it is slightly raised. When it heals, will just the rednesss go away, or will it flatten completely and fill in any skin tissue?

Edited by NibblyNoob

If it's raised, it may either be a blemish that still has something inside of it (so the redness would be from inflammation), or it's a scar (which can be pinkish when they first form).

Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is simply a skin discoloration, but the texture of the skin isn't affected.

The pink is slowly fading, but its mostly the looks of it rather than the color that has me discontent. It's no bigger than 1/3 of an inch (circular), but it is a tiny bit raised (and I mean tiny) and the skin in the center is a tiny bit indented compared to the slight elevation of the surrounding scar skin. I think this is because the scab fell of prematurely and didn't have full time to seal up the uppermost layer of the skin. But still.

Sooooo would your average scar cream work? Y'know, fill up, flatten, change to normal color and stuff?