Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
histani

What foundation to use? HELP!

I have been reading over the forums for an hour now about what brands/types of foundation to use for my not-so perfect skin. I haven't ever been clinically labeled as having normal skin, but that's what my husband seems to think I have (and he has had his fair share of dermatologist appointments and battle with severe acne) so I tend to believe him.

I like wearing moderate coverage foundation preferably in a matte finish. I have been using MAC Studio Tech for about 2-3 years now and feel as if I need a change. Ever since my now husband and I started dating (4+ years ago) I started getting breakouts and baby bumps all over my face, mainly on my forehead and cheeks. No matter what I do I can't seem to get rid of them and my husband is convinced that it's because of my makeup! I can already tell you that I do not care for mineral powder. I have used Bare Minerals and it just makes my face seem powdery and uncomfortable. I also have one sunspot and many freckles on my cheeks and across my nose under my eyes that I would rather coverup than not.

I read that silicone-based products may be best, but after all my researching I can't seem to find a straight answer. I would appreciate any feedback possible on the issue and feel free to ask any questions that would further help you come up with an answer for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

I tried the Almay one reccommended here and it didn't cause any problems.I really like it.You might want to give it a try :)

Otherwise Clinque make several Oil Free ones

Hope you find something

I recommend Almay as well. I'm not sure which one was recommended, but the TLC (truly lasting color) works very well for me. I've also found that Aveeno tinted facial moisturizer works VERY well as well; so well, in fact, that I can skip the foundation most days. It's the best tinted moisturizer I've used. It covers better than I thought it would. GL!

I have never liked MAC, they usually are not oil-free like some of the products say they are and are way too heavy and it looks overly fake on almost everyone i know who wears MAC makeup. And the people i know who wear MAC, do have mild to severe acne.(not friends, just aquintances and coworkers).

But i can't be too quick too judge, they may have improved their products. I would do a test to see if your makeup is too oily. Put a nickel size amount on a regular piece of cotton typing paper and wait overnight. in the morning there will be a ring around the makeup and the larger the ring the oilier the makeup will be and that is no good for your skin.

And do you have dry or oily skin? or any red marks and hyperpigmentation? Iam not really sure what to recommend, b/c if you have dry or normal then i would recommend the prescreptive foundations, but if you are oily then i wouldn't since it tends too look more oily or come off easier. But it does give good coverage.

I have red marks and some discoloration and freckles like you do with very mild acne and i really like lancome teinte idole, it covers a lot of my hyperpigmentation and red marks, and if i want by applying more it does cover the freckles.

Almay may not give you enough coverage, that you want. B/c i asked about it on here, being able to cover freckles and my other problems, and it seems too light, unless you have perfect skin and just want a nice finish.

I have never liked clinique, it seemed to be too irritating on my skin, i ended up with a bunch of tiny bumps all over my face. I wouldn't even recommend there face products b/c most are irritating and i had my bf and parents try there products,who have perfect skin and they complained about stinging and dryness.

Edited by ILoveMyPuppy

I've used Lancome Teint Idole foundation for several years now with great results. It's a tad on the expensive side, but it gives good coverage, decent shine control, and doesn't cause breakouts or clogged pores for me.

I've heard good things about Revlon Colorstay as well, although I've never tried it myself.

I really like Bare Minerals. It's about $60 for the starter kit, which gives you the foundation, the bronzer, the mineral veil, and the brush set. I have had less breakouts and the makeup looks really good. You can get it at most professional salons, or at Sephora. The good thing is that even though it's expensive, I've had the bronzer for a year and the foundation and mineral veils each lasted about 6-7 months. Then when you buy them separately after you run out of the starter kit, you get bigger containers for basically the same price.

Before you buy it, I'm pretty sure you can go in and they'll put it on you for free to see how you like it!

Hope this helps!

Edited by aub1216

I really like Bare Minerals. It's about $60 for the starter kit, which gives you the foundation, the bronzer, the mineral veil, and the brush set. I have had less breakouts and the makeup looks really good. You can get it at most professional salons, or at Sephora. The good thing is that even though it's expensive, I've had the bronzer for a year and the foundation and mineral veils each lasted about 6-7 months. Then when you buy them separately after you run out of the starter kit, you get bigger containers for basically the same price.

Before you buy it, I'm pretty sure you can go in and they'll put it on you for free to see how you like it!

Hope this helps!

I agree with the Bare Escentuals recommendation. I used to be very brand loyal to MAC and still am for some products (love their pigments and eye shadows!) but the foundations are so heavy, even the ~light~ ones, so I decided to switch to something that would help my skin breathe better. The brand claims to improve your skin (or something along the lines of that) and boasts its "so pure you can sleep in it", but I don't know if I'd go that far. Then again, my acne is what I'd consider 'severe' so I'm careful to not do too much to aggravate it. Their matte foundation has pretty good coverage, and though I miss the color matching of MAC foundations, I think its better for my acne to use BE.

I get those, too. They're clogged pores but I never really consider them as pimples...(not sure if they are or not). Anyway lol, I agree with your husband, I think they're from makeup (even it claims to be non-comedogenic), and I think that's why I have them, too.

Though they don't really bother me anymore, I think I get them when I wear too much makeup for too long. Try using as little as possible, or a very light coverage makeup, on a daily basis (excluding special occasions, or what have you) and wash it off as soon as you get home. Personally, I find salicylic acid also helps prevent and clear these....but you'll have to use it consistently and give it a few weeks to clear what you already have. Again, this is what works for my own skin but hope it helps.

For a while I would mix Revlon's Colorstay (which is moderate-heavy) with my moisturizer and used it as a foundation. I didn't get too many of them when I did this but I also washed it off as soon as I came back home.

If you end up buying new products, my only advice is to start cheap and work your way up. It may be a matter of experimenting until you find something that won't clog your pores

Edited by NessaVéneanár

I know that a lot of people with acne-prone skin don't react well to Mac skincare products. I don't know what exactly is in the formulation that causes problems, but I avoid MAC foundations and concealers!

I use Revlon Colorstay foundation. The coverage is amazing and it doesn't break me out anymore than usual!

I have the same question. Basically I hate using mineral foundation because the coverage never seems to be enough, but I can't find a liquid foundation that won't clog pores. MAC Studio Fix led to the worst break-outs in my life. After lots of research I've narrowed it down to the following. Any good/bad experiences with the following would be great!

Aveeno Tinted Moisturizer

Aubrey Nicole

Lancome Teint Idole

Clinique Clarify Clear Skin

Dermablend

Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer

Stilla SPF 30 tinted moisturizer

MAC select spf

MAC studio sculpt

Neutrogena skin clearing

I have the same question. Basically I hate using mineral foundation because the coverage never seems to be enough, but I can't find a liquid foundation that won't clog pores. MAC Studio Fix led to the worst break-outs in my life. After lots of research I've narrowed it down to the following. Any good/bad experiences with the following would be great!

Aveeno Tinted Moisturizer

Aubrey Nicole

Lancome Teint Idole

Clinique Clarify Clear Skin

Dermablend

Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer

Stilla SPF 30 tinted moisturizer

MAC select spf

MAC studio sculpt

Neutrogena skin clearing

Tinted Moisturizers really don't give any coverage at all in my opinion. It's so sheer that you'll end up layering on lots of concealer! I've used the Stila and Laura Mercier Tinted moisturizers and it's basically like 70% moisturizer mixed with 30% foundation. Light coverage and no staying power!

I'd stay away from all MAC skin products, they're just not the best for acne-prone skin.

Make sure the foundation says non-comedogenic on it!

From your list I would say the Neutrogena skin clearing or Clinique is the way to go! I haven't tried the Neutrogena foundation, but have used their concealers and never had a problem.

I have tried loads of foundations and although everyone is going to react differently these are the foundations that don't cause breakouts for me:

Rimmel Stay Matte

L'Oreal True Match

Shishedo Dual Balancing Foundation

Shishedo Lifting Foundation

Benefit Playsticks

I mix Lancome Teint Idole Ultra and L'oreal True Match, but only because the lightest shade of the Lancome is still too dark for my vampire-white face :P Aside from that, the Lancome (applied with a foundation brush) is awesome. So, if you're any darker than eggshell white, I highly highly recommend the Lancome.

I think you should check out Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet foundation..or if you want a powder you can try their Duo Mat powder found. Both are amazing and probably better than mac foundations in my opinion plus they really do not break you out!!

:question: i have some questions about this...if someone could help that would be much appericated :redface: first off i am not really sure what i should use a powder or liquid? its all so confusing there are so many different kinds. i have been reading here in the forums for a while now. but i am not finding anyone who has the exact same problem as me. dose anyone else find makeup makes your skin dry? it seems to for me. i've tried mixing in with mositurizer but got not very good results. what moisturizers do you guys use? oh and conclears...is there a certain brand that is really good or whatever? :confused:

PLEASE HELP! :cry:

Edited by gamerchick

:question: i have some questions about this...if someone could help that would be much appericated :redface: first off i am not really sure what i should use a powder or liquid? its all so confusing there are so many different kinds. i have been reading here in the forums for a while now. but i am not finding anyone who has the exact same problem as me. dose anyone else find makeup makes your skin dry? it seems to for me. i've tried mixing in with mositurizer but got not very good results. what moisturizers do you guys use? oh and conclears...is there a certain brand that is really good or whatever? :confused:

PLEASE HELP! :cry:

There are powder foundations, powders to set liquid foundation, and liquid foundation. It's all about what's most comfortable on your skin. Some people love powder foundation (such as Bare Minerals) but for me I hate it.

Apply moisturiser before makeup while your skin is wet. Let it dry for about 5-10 minutes before applying foundation. If foundation is making your skin dry, you just may be using the wrong foundation for your skin.

To cover pimples and red marks I use Maybelline mineral concealer. I then blend it with a concealer brush (I use a Sephora brand one).

heyy, so ill give u a background on the stuff ive used. and what i did and didn't like. i spent a good month and a half last summer researching makeup, going on forums, especially acne.org, reading reviews on makeupalley, getting samples from sephora, the whole nine yards. it was a pain.

first, when i started to breakout (middleschool) i used drug store brands (maybelline, loreal, cover girl) and yeah they are good but, if u have the money to invest i HIGHLY suggest department store brands

Before i went on accutane last year, i used bare minerals. like u, i hated it. it makes u feel greasy, and shiny, eh bad. plus, if ur skin is dry mineral makeup does not go on well, and the brushes irritated my skin. people mineral makeup is the only way to go, BUT if u find the right liquid or powder that non-comedogenic, mineral or not, it doesn't matter

I tried tinted moisturizers, Laura Mercier, Stilla, theres no coverage, at all

The trick with any face makeup is use a primer!!! It makes a HUGE difference. it helps whether ur skin is dry or oily. if its dry it helps powder go on smooth, or if its oily it helps control shine

The best powder i've found is, i think someone mentioned it, Make Up For Ever Duo Mat. it leaves a nice mat finish, it looks porcelin and really nice.

I apply it with the Make Up Forever Kabuki brush. Its super soft, applys makeup smoothly, its great.

Make Up For Ever is a great brand. non-comedogenic. oil free. i have the most sensitive skin out there and it doesn't break me out. Its sold at sephora

Okay, last thing, a primer. The best one i've found is: Perfekt Skin Perfection Gel Its more of, its not really a gel, im not sure how to describe the texture. But, u can get this at sephora too. it is pricy, but worth every penny, u can get it in clear, luminous, radient, and dark i think. yeah theres only three shades, but it blends right it, its really light, its merely a base for powder or liquid. But if u have redness, scars, red spots this is great to smooth it out and make ur skin ready for a powder or liquid. If ur skin is dry (mine was cuz of accutane) add a little moisturizer to it

If u decide to try Perfekt or Duo Mat, send me a message, ill give u some tips on applying it

Oh and yes these products or more expensive but the perfekt has lasted me since the end of August, and Duo Mat, Ive bought two in almost..6 or 7 months.