Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am really upset right now. So upset that I almost couldn't get out of bed for work this morning. There's a Christmas party in the office later and I don't want to stay for it. Last night I popped a pimple that was too deep. Even though I saw nothing come out on the first squeeze which is when I should have stopped, I just kept going. I saw a little bit of white stuff come out but then just clear stuff. But I didn't give up. Finally it bled and you would think I'd be satisfied, but apparently that still wasn't good enough for me. The next squeeze ripped a dime sized piece of skin off of my face. What the f***? I know they say that Accutane thins your skin out but why wasn't I warned by my dermatologist not to pop? Popping is a bad idea in general but had I known it would have caused an actual injury, I would have put a band-aid over the spot and kept myself busy. This morning when I woke up, the affected area had gotten blood red but not exactly scabbed. It looks like a hole and the surrounding skin is white. I called up my dermatologist but the secretaries on the phone don't give a shit that I might have caused a huge permanent scar due to Accutane. So I couldn't get an emergency appointment. I put concealer on it a couple of hours ago but it was oozing and wouldn't stay on, so I put powder on it and now it looks like this huge dark cakey spot. I'm really depressed. I'm only 36 days in and have seen no improvement what so ever, I know it's early but I've only had negative things happen so far. No one that I know can understand what I am going through because they all have perfect skin, apart from my boyfriend who gets zits but they disappear in a day or two and he never looks "bumpy". My best friend has a flawless face so it's hard to talk to her about it because I end up hating life even more.

So now that I'm done venting a bit, is there anything that I can put on my face that will help heal the skin that I ripped off? I'm thinking that what happened with the pimple is exactly what happens when you get waxed on Accutane.

Please help me =(

Edited by MissNarNar

There's nothing you can do except keep your hands off of it. I ripped skin off by scratching my face after getting out of the shower. It'll form a thin scab and come off in a few days. After mine did that you couldn't even tell there was anything there at all, but until then it looked insanely red and embarrassing.

There's nothing you can do except keep your hands off of it. I ripped skin off by scratching my face after getting out of the shower. It'll form a thin scab and come off in a few days. After mine did that you couldn't even tell there was anything there at all, but until then it looked insanely red and embarrassing.

Your skin ripped off just by scratching it? No one told me that my face was going to be THAT vulnerable. I knew about the waxing, no topicals, lots of moisturizing, etc., but it seems crazy that your face will come off if you're not SUPER careful.

I am seriously hating life.

Thanks for the help. Should I be trying to dry this out or moisturizing it more?

I am really upset right now. So upset that I almost couldn't get out of bed for work this morning. There's a Christmas party in the office later and I don't want to stay for it. Last night I popped a pimple that was too deep. Even though I saw nothing come out on the first squeeze which is when I should have stopped, I just kept going. I saw a little bit of white stuff come out but then just clear stuff. But I didn't give up. Finally it bled and you would think I'd be satisfied, but apparently that still wasn't good enough for me. The next squeeze ripped a dime sized piece of skin off of my face. What the f***? I know they say that Accutane thins your skin out but why wasn't I warned by my dermatologist not to pop? Popping is a bad idea in general but had I known it would have caused an actual injury, I would have put a band-aid over the spot and kept myself busy. This morning when I woke up, the affected area had gotten blood red but not exactly scabbed. It looks like a hole and the surrounding skin is white. I called up my dermatologist but the secretaries on the phone don't give a shit that I might have caused a huge permanent scar due to Accutane. So I couldn't get an emergency appointment. I put concealer on it a couple of hours ago but it was oozing and wouldn't stay on, so I put powder on it and now it looks like this huge dark cakey spot. I'm really depressed. I'm only 36 days in and have seen no improvement what so ever, I know it's early but I've only had negative things happen so far. No one that I know can understand what I am going through because they all have perfect skin, apart from my boyfriend who gets zits but they disappear in a day or two and he never looks "bumpy". My best friend has a flawless face so it's hard to talk to her about it because I end up hating life even more.

So now that I'm done venting a bit, is there anything that I can put on my face that will help heal the skin that I ripped off? I'm thinking that what happened with the pimple is exactly what happens when you get waxed on Accutane.

Please help me =(

hey girl,

i guess im following you because i can relate.

im on day 75 now and my skin is looking way better! hang in there!!

ok, the thing about popping the pimple while on accutane is the WORSE!!! it either scabs up or leaves a nasty inflatted red mark that is stilll a cyst/pimple. u then wished u left it alone

i know u want to put makeup on it but try to put the least of make up as possible bcuz its gonna irritate and it might get worse. wait til it turns to a dark scab and then apply Aquaphor .

With the help of Accutane it will dry up faster and fall right off. then u can apply make up smoother

trust me Ive been there and Ive cried numerous nights cuz of it. But hang in there.

today was the first day i went out with just concealer in the daytime. I pray it just keeps getting better

"Theres a light at the end of the tunnel ;u just have to go through the traffic first"

Edited by Bethany1123

Your skin ripped off just by scratching it? No one told me that my face was going to be THAT vulnerable. I knew about the waxing, no topicals, lots of moisturizing, etc., but it seems crazy that your face will come off if you're not SUPER careful.

Thanks for the help. Should I be trying to dry this out or moisturizing it more?

Yep. It got softened up by being in the hot water. At the end of the course, I had scratch marks on both hands from rummaging through my purse. It looked like I got into a fight with a cat. It does suck how fragile the skin becomes, but hopefully will prove to be worth the hassle in the end. Best of luck to you. :)

Leave it the hec alone. Leave it to heal by itself, try your best to avoid touching it at all.

When you wash your face avoid that particular area and pat dry very very gently (I had a huge burst of blood just yesterday by complete accident. I was only drying my face.)

Also make sure you're applying moisturiser to it, and about 1cm around it so the skin is more supple, making it easier to heal.

I'm afraid you will have to prepare for a scar though. I also was not told not to pop and, heh, I know have tons of boxcar scars from my first course over 2 years ago. Follow the instructions above though and it shouldn't be too bad and hopefully won't be permanent like most of mine.

At least now you've learned your lesson!

polysporin or aloe vera!! i would get an aloe plant if you can a sqeeze the aloe from the leaves, it is an AMAZING natural healer, then put polysporin on to speed healing/prevent infection. it'l heal - it just takes time!

i know EXACTLY how you feel. 1 year ago i was about 10-11 week into my accutane course. i made the mistake of poping a pimple and the skin around it just slid off. I have pics in my gallery of the initial breakout that i thought would never end. i recommend using a light moisturizer on your face and a thicker cream on the raw spot. i even used a little peroxide and ointment so it wouldnt get infected. let a scab form and the best way to cover it is to put on your makeup like usual, then use a small brush to apply mineral makeup on the scab/raw spot. it sticks a lot better! dont give up though!!! i'm so glad i stuck it out because i have been 99% clear since LAST christmas (i finished my course at the end of Feb 09). i never thought i would know what it feels like to live without acne.... but accutane made it possible. no one can know how you feel except those who went through it... and trust me it is worth it in the long run. you might feel self conscious about your skin this christmas, but hopefully by next christmas you wont even need to wear makeup! good luck and i hope this helps

Please help me =(

hey girl,

i guess im following you because i can relate.

im on day 75 now and my skin is looking way better! hang in there!!

ok, the thing about popping the pimple while on accutane is the WORSE!!! it either scabs up or leaves a nasty inflatted red mark that is stilll a cyst/pimple. u then wished u left it alone

i know u want to put makeup on it but try to put the least of make up as possible bcuz its gonna irritate and it might get worse. wait til it turns to a dark scab and then apply Aquaphor .

With the help of Accutane it will dry up faster and fall right off. then u can apply make up smoother

trust me Ive been there and Ive cried numerous nights cuz of it. But hang in there.

today was the first day i went out with just concealer in the daytime. I pray it just keeps getting better

"Theres a light at the end of the tunnel ;u just have to go through the traffic first"

Hey, thank you SO much for your response. You are totally right because though I wasn't able to read these over the weekend, I figured stuff out for myself and it wasn't so bad. The fact that the scab fell off the next day freaked me out because I thought I had irritated it and made it worse but it just kept getting better from there. It's a red/pink mark now and it seems like popping was all for nothing because the pimple is still underneath! I stopped obsessing over it and had a good time at the party =) You can barely see it with concealer. I've been putting bio oil on it now to fade it as quickly as possible, have you tried that?

I agree with you about popping, because no matter how little I pick at it, a pimple becomes an inflamed scab. No good comes from it. It's just really hard because I can't stand seeing whiteheads of any form. I feel like if they are whiteheads, I can take them out, ya know?

I'm glad that your treatment is going well, and am thankful for people like you who give me hope.

polysporin or aloe vera!! i would get an aloe plant if you can a sqeeze the aloe from the leaves, it is an AMAZING natural healer, then put polysporin on to speed healing/prevent infection. it'l heal - it just takes time!

I didn't see this post til just now but I totally put pure aloe vera on the wound and it healed in like a day! The scab fell off 24 hrs after the popping incident which is AMAZING considering I usually have scabs for atleast a week. Accutane def had a hand in that because of how my skin is usually so oily and now it's dry which helps scabs fall off faster. Now I'm just working on the huge red mark that it left!

Well, the damage is done and now you know not to pick at your face on Accutane. Apply some Polysporin (I think it a higher antibiotic concentration than Neosporin), cover with a bandaid, and let the wound scab over. You'll be tempted to pick at it as it heals, but DON'T touch the scab and let it fall off on its own. There's not much your derm can do for you, just keep the wound clean and apply Polysporin every chance you get. I think Polysporin helps soften scarring if you apply it to a fresh wound, so that also works in your favor.

Thank you! I was actually going to post a question about this but since you mentioned it I will just ask here! Are bandaids safe to use on Accutane? I feel like the ripping off part scares me since some people have said they've ripped skin off just by scratching their face when getting out of a shower.

i know EXACTLY how you feel. 1 year ago i was about 10-11 week into my accutane course. i made the mistake of poping a pimple and the skin around it just slid off. I have pics in my gallery of the initial breakout that i thought would never end. i recommend using a light moisturizer on your face and a thicker cream on the raw spot. i even used a little peroxide and ointment so it wouldnt get infected. let a scab form and the best way to cover it is to put on your makeup like usual, then use a small brush to apply mineral makeup on the scab/raw spot. it sticks a lot better! dont give up though!!! i'm so glad i stuck it out because i have been 99% clear since LAST christmas (i finished my course at the end of Feb 09). i never thought i would know what it feels like to live without acne.... but accutane made it possible. no one can know how you feel except those who went through it... and trust me it is worth it in the long run. you might feel self conscious about your skin this christmas, but hopefully by next christmas you wont even need to wear makeup! good luck and i hope this helps

Dude...the way you described the skin around it sliding off is EXACTLY what happened with this one. And the pimple itself wasn't even that big, yet the mark is atleast the size of a dime. So when you say 99% clear, what is the other 1% like? I hate being pessimistic but it's times like these that make me feel like I am going to be one of the people that ends up being a negative statistic. The only difference I have seen is dryer skin and under the skin bumps appearing closer to the surface which might only be because my skin is thinner. I would love to know what it's like to not wear makeup, that'd be a first in over 11 yrs. I will take any kind of improvement right now, just to give me some more hope. Thank you so much and I am glad your treatment was a success =D

Yep. It got softened up by being in the hot water. At the end of the course, I had scratch marks on both hands from rummaging through my purse. It looked like I got into a fight with a cat. It does suck how fragile the skin becomes, but hopefully will prove to be worth the hassle in the end. Best of luck to you. :)

That is nuts. I shaved my legs the other day with just soap instead of shaving cream and I had HUGE burning scratches on the back of my legs. Probably the same thing. Thanks for your help! =D

I had some trouble like that too. I have a problem picking at my face, and my skin was very thin while on Claravis. I've been off for about a month and it's still pretty thin. If you put some Neosporin on it, it will heal faster and will help with bacteria.

Feel better, your skin will clear up. Mine did!

being 99% clear feels like 110% clear. the 1% doesnt even really count as pimples.... i just get like one TINY pimple the size of a pin head that goes away on its own in the matter of a day and it only happens about once a month. i havent had a REAL pimple or cyst in a year now. trust me, i didnt think i would be a success story either. it still seems to good to be true so hopefully you will be a success story too! good luck :)