Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MDM

Salicylic acid as a cleanser

Right now I'm using Neutrogena Advanced Solutions and I'll wash my face with the salicylic acid cleanser before I use the benzoyl peroxide gel at night. I also use the salicylic acid cleanser in the shower after I wash my face with regular bath soap in the mornings. I just bought salicylic acid Stridex pads in hopes that I would not have to get all wet in the evenings trying to wash my face before using the benzoyl peroxide. So, my question is: would it have a negative effect on my blemishes if I were to use the pads as cleansers pre-benzoyl peroxide? I do not have easily-irritated skin; it is mostly just oily (lots of blackheads, whiteheads, and non-inflamed w/ the rare cyst). Thanks!

From the FAQs:

Q: Can I use the Regimen in conjunction with additional products or over-the-counter medications?

A: Do not do this until you are completely clear and have been that way for some time. Once you are completely clear, it is okay to add in one variable at a time. However, if you begin the Regimen and are adding in other variables from the get go, you will have no way of judging whether the Regimen works for you. See the biggest mistakes page for more.

Sounds like a lot of harsh stuff at once to me. I would stick closely to the regimen as it is proven to work.

What I currently do I can't really suggest, however it doesn't really seem to effect me.

I use a gentle SA cleanser in the shower, wait the required amount, apply 2.5% BP, wait the required amount, then apply a SA based lotion.

This doesn't seem to effect me at all. I have naturally dry sensitive skin. Though I can not suggest this to anyone, everyone is different.

I am thinking of just dropping the SA all together as people don't really suggest it with BP, and BP surely is working for me.