Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Purple Penguin

Ipledge, how I loathe thee.

So I was all set to start my course today. Got my period yesterday. Had my 2nd preggo test this morning, derm appointment this afternoon. Signed all the paperwork, he calculated my dosage, wrote my prescription and I left as the nurse was getting me signed up with the program (I've had the cards since day 1, have my web account set up even after all this mess). So, I'm just barely home, when the nurse calls me and tells me that I can't start my course until NEXT month.

Let's start at the beginning. I got my first pregnancy test on October the 19th. According to the booklet that I've got (the "Educational Guide For Females Who Can Get Pregnant") your second pregnancy test has to be at least 19 days after the first test, and within 5 days of starting your period. That would mean that 19 days after test numero uno would be November 7th.

My next period started November 1st. Meaning, I could go no later than the 6th to get my second test. This, admittedly, is where I should've called the program.

Does anyone see the problem here?

So yeah. APPARENTLY, according to what the nurse was told, I can't get it this month because my 2 pregnancy tests weren't in back-to-back months. First October, and second December. Which the book says NOTHING about. And I'm stuck starting my course at the start of a new semester, where my course load is significantly nastier than this one. If I could start now, I'd also have almost all of winter break to get used to any icky side effects/initial breakout.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Would it even be worth it to try to call Ipledge and plead my case that I can't control time, space, or my own wonky menstrual cycle?

Holy moly.

I was JUST about to make a new post about this because the same exact freaking thing happened to me YESTERDAY.

I took a pregnancy test in October and November so I could start Accutane yesterday in December. I was so psyched. I was feeling really bad about my acne that day too so I couldn't WAIT to start the drug.

I get to the dermatologist and she tells me that they didn't get my October test in time because someone at the dermatologist's place made a mistake with the paperwork. The iPledge program wouldn’t take my October test because now it wasn’t considered ‘back to back’…even though I did exactly what they told me to do and it wasn’t my fault. So now I have to take another pregnancy test in December. I literally started crying in the office and I never do that, jeez.

Now I'm stuck for another month without Accutane. I'm so TIRED of waiting.

Do they not realize that the LAST time on earth you want to piss a female off is when she's starting her period????

This is the time of the month I make Charles Manson look like a pussycat :whistle:

I'll be spitting nails if I have to shell out another office visit copay (50 freakin' bucks, PLUS labs) next month. I'll beg him to call it in to the pharmacy for me, if I have to.

/end rant

Ugh tell me about it. My doctor at least felt bad enough to not make me pay for the visit...even though I still have to for the labs, jeez.

I remember my derm said to me that apparently this happens all the time to women going on Accutane. If it happens to much...why don't they FIX it?!

Is there even any data to suggest that the iPledge program has helped to prevent more pregnancies than before it was created? It seems to me those numbers should be pretty easy to find. Or you could compare the rate of pregnancy on accutane in America to the rates of pregnancy on accutane in other countries that don't have iPledge or a similar program (such as Australia) to see how they compare.

Ugh. I'm sorry that happened to you two. When you (finally) start, it will be worth it. :)

I never had to have it done within a certain time of my period. I have heard this though. How do they even know when your period is? Can't you lie? And why a preggo test during your period? That's just dumb.

I also hated ipledge.

nikkia - was interested in that myself (even though I am a guy and don't have to go through all the bs you females do) Found this article that was written in 2007, a year after ipledge came out. It says that the number of pregnancies in 2007 is about the same as it was prior to the induction of ipledge.

http://greensboro.injuryboard.com/miscella...googleid=221878

I could lie (although not until January 1st, lol!) but basing meds on a 28-day (or 29, 30, 31...) cycle makes it pretty easy for me to keep track of refills, appointments, etc. especially after being on the pill for 5 years.

I just hate that Ipledge is so patronizing towards women in general. Too bad it doesn't help to tell them that I have a mortal fear of having ANY baby before I turn 30, much less the mutant kind. :razz:

The problem with iPledge is that its main objective isn't to protect patients. Its main objective is to protect doctors.

And, you know, I understand that. I work in Risk Management. I know about liability.

It's just sad that because people are stupid (either doctors not explaining side effects well enough or people not listening/being lax with birth control) and lots of doctors probably got sued, that now we, the patients, have to jump through hoops and have tons of aggravation all while having to cope with taking a very serious drug.

Call it the side effect of a litigation-happy populace.

i was confused about the iPledge pregnancy test rules at first too.... but FORGET about the 19 days after the first test, 5 within starting your period rule.... it doesnt matter. my doctor didnt enforce that stupid rule as long as i had 2 pregnancy tests within 2 months. the reasoning behind that rule is just to make sure you are not pregnant before you start accutane. there is nooo way they will know if you had your peorid 5 days ago or 500 days ago as long as you arent pregnant. there is no use in calling iPledge because they have VERY strict rules. i lost my iPledge card that you take to the pharmacy and they absolutely wouldnt send me another one. dont skip the 2nd pregnancy test or you will be waiting forever! take it whether you are on your peroid or not.... the wont know the different i promise

Edited by Yo Adrienne!

not only that but the girls who get pregnant while on accutane and decide to have the baby cant afford to take care of all of it's medical/health problems so the tax payers/government end up having to pay for the childs healthcare. you know how the ipledge thing tells you to call their 1-800 number if you become pregnant? i wonder what they say.... tell you to have an abortion? just kinda curious about that

The problem with iPledge is that its main objective isn't to protect patients. Its main objective is to protect doctors.

And, you know, I understand that. I work in Risk Management. I know about liability.

It's just sad that because people are stupid (either doctors not explaining side effects well enough or people not listening/being lax with birth control) and lots of doctors probably got sued, that now we, the patients, have to jump through hoops and have tons of aggravation all while having to cope with taking a very serious drug.

They want you to call so that they can monitor whether or not your baby is deformed, for statistics. That is, if you decide to have the baby.

not only that but the girls who get pregnant while on accutane and decide to have the baby cant afford to take care of all of it's medical/health problems so the tax payers/government end up having to pay for the childs healthcare. you know how the ipledge thing tells you to call their 1-800 number if you become pregnant? i wonder what they say.... tell you to have an abortion? just kinda curious about that

You can't plead your case to ipledge, the program is run by moronic assholes. You'll just have to wait. The good news is that they can't tell when you're having your period (not that it's any of their goddam business), so you can just go the first day they let you take your test.

I'm going to the derm tomorrow to beg her to put me on accutane, any advice for me to make sure that ipledge doesn't screw me up? Just 2 tests 30 days apart? And how do I make sure my doctor does their part with ipledge and not screw me over?