Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yowasup

My Accutane Experience

So, I went on Accutane during my Freshman Year. I had some moderate acne, and my derm recommended that I go on accutane (around 75 % of people on Accutane have moderate acne)... it is only supposed to be prescribed for those with severe acne!

My Side Effects

1. Anxiety/Depression (still experiencing)

2. Dry skin/Chapped Lips (still experiencing)

3. Thinned hair/ Dry scalp and flakes (still experiencing)

4. Ingrown toenails (they absolutely suck, and yes, I started getting them while I was on accutane and I still have them... after two surgeries....

5. Possible stunted growth (took accutane when I was fifteen... I'm a 5'8" guy and haven't grown an inch since my freshman year. My dad is 6'3", my mom is 5"6).

6. Root canal-- dentist said accutane could've caused it... i had perfect teath before accutane, and I've had five cavities discovered after taking accutane...

7. Rectal bleeding (experienced late in treatment, never went away. Looks like early signs of IBD.)

Let me sum it up for you- Accutane is a chemotherapy agent-- it therefore reduces cell proliferation and increases the rate of cell death... it cannot determine the "good cells" and the "bad cells", it simply targets the rapidly dividing cells (skin cells, osteocytes, etc.)... this is why you get such bad, flaky skin.... not just because of the fact that your sebaseous glands are simoultaneously being shrunk. Don't take the drug, if Roche pulled it off the market, it is obviously pretty damn bad for you.

Edited by yowasup

Oh I forgot--- I still also have joint pains... the pains were really bad while i was on the drug (i actually ended up quitting my freshman baseball team because of them)....

I'm sorry you've had such a negative experience.

Still, I'd just like to point out that Roche didn't pull Accutane from the market because it was "bad" for people. They pulled it because once the generic versions of isotretinoin were released, Accutane just wasn't a money-maker for them.

Um, I would have to disagree. Roche sayed they pulled Accutane off of the market because of competition with generic versions (as you stated) and because of the amount of money they were required to spend on defending accutane against lawsuits... recently Roche lost a court case and were forced to pay millions to a few people who had developed IBD as a result of taking Accutane... after this court case, Roche pulled accutane off the market... interestingly, there have been numerous studies that have come just after accutane was pulled from the market linking Accutane to IBD, so Roche was like "Oh shit let's get this poison off of the market before they find out about what this shit does to the body" (not an actual quote-but their thoughts were probably similar). Roche was still the primary seller of Accutane, and they were still profiting from the drug when it was taken off the market.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ACG/16683

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/na...0,2567627.story

Edited by yowasup

If Roche had pulled Accutane off of the US market because the were worried that people would "find out about what [that] shit does to the body", why didn't they also pull their product from the UK market? It's the exact same product, so surely the side effects and the concerns would be the same.

If Roche had pulled Accutane off of the US market because the were worried that people would "find out about what [that] shit does to the body", why didn't they also pull their product from the UK market? It's the exact same product, so surely the side effects and the concerns would be the same.

The concerns might not be the same... the number of Accutane related personal-injury lawsuits against Roche in the UK is much lower than the number of the lawsuits Roche faced in the US. I wouldn't be suprised if Roaccutane is pulled of the market soon as well. What I'm trying to get at, though, is that Roche has been very shady about Accutane the past 20 years. They have conducted numerous studies, but have kept these studies confidential and secret to the public. They don't even know accutane's exact mechanism of action (or at least the claim to not know)... Roche has possesed the capabilities to determine accutane's exact mechanism of action for years, yet they have chosen not too.... maybe they do, in fact, actually know how accutane works on a cellular level, but they don't want people like you and me to know.... anyone who reads this, do some research-- it's out there...

Edited by yowasup

I'm also sorry to hear about your bad experience with acne. I don't know how long it's been since you first took accutane, but for as long as I can remember, their side effects have been public. You really are signing your life away by taking the drug, but it's a choice one makes for themselves and it really is up to the individual to do their homework before taking anything into their body. Of course i'd prefer not to have any symptoms, but if i had to deal with dry skin for the rest of my life but never deal with acne, i would definately make that trade.

Personally I think there is truth to both your sides: if there were no other generic brands, Roche would probably be making a lot more money and sadly their lawsuits would just be a cost of business (many industries practice similar behaviour). just like in fight club.

besides, everyone reacts differently to drugs. my best friend cleared up amazingly, didn't get horrible side effects during or after treatment. again, i'm sorry to hear you're still dealing with side effects from your treatment.

Thanks for the reply, I took accutane three years ago (my freshman year of high school). I am now a senior. And you are absolutely right about the fact that everyone reacts differently to accutane. Oh, and I know the side effects are public-- it's Roche's "inability" to determine what causes these side effects that gets me mad... they say there is "no causal link" between Accutane and depression, when they themselves have conducted studies with regards to accutane and depression that they have chosen not to release to the public... but again, thanks for your repy, i appreciate it.

They acutally are pulling Accutane eventually from 11 other countries...Besides most of the side effects that we get in the I-Pledge book and online with the FDA, the U.K. and other countries don't get the same info on side effects. Ex: Chelitis was a documented side effect from Accutane since it first came out on the market. IN the U.K. it didn't become documented side effect until 2002 or so. Different countries diffrent ways of doing things.

To the OP, i know how you feel man, i'm in exactly the same position about 3 years out from taking tane myself. I have a number of other sides ontop of what you mention. I think there is hope in stem cell therapy, the trouble is getting a diagnosis of what is going on inside of us.

Edited by lamarr1986

Please keep in mind that for some of us this drug has changed everything. This drug can be both good and bad and the negative side effects can be "worth it" for the end result, a mind that hasn't broken down.

If they did a wide scale recall or withdrawal from the worldwide market how much bad publicity do you think they would get? They aren't stupid, they will be staggering the withdrawal... i'm a business major finishing my degree with first class honors and i see every little tactic those F**kers use and it sickens me. They put business before the walefare of human beings, anyone who thinks otherwise can pm me and have a nice talk about why i know they are doing this.

So here's the deal-- I think anyone who's been negatively affected by this drug should write to congressman Bart Stupak-- I'm sure you all know who he is (his son committed suicide while on accutane) lets push for him to get an FDA ban on the generic versions in the US.... nobody deserves to experience the pain this drug causes... accutane is overprescribed... over 70 percent of accutane users had mild to moderate acne--that number is a disgrace, and the medical community (specifically derms) should be held accountable.

I took Accutane 3 years ago and although I noticed an increase in infections for a whole year after (eye infections, tooth infections etc.), I'm perfectly healthy.

Both my dad and my uncle took Accutane at high doses when it first came out in 1982, 27 years ago. Both of them are now perfectly healthy at 50 and 45 with full heads of hair.

There could be some link to taking Accutane so young and your side effects. I'm very glad my derm refused to give me Accutane until I was 19.

I really think that there should be more education before prescribing Accutane. I only knew what to expect from my dad. To me, Accutane is worth it as my acne really gets in the way of my life.

Hey Guys I'm BACK!! Whenever I get pissed off about accutane (I regret taking it every single day) I just love to come on this site! So I've been doing some more research, and I encourage everyone to search for 13-cis retnoic acid (isotretinion) and its links to telomere shortening. ACCUTANE IS A CHEMOTHERAPY AGENT! Why do you think your bones ache, ligaments, and joints ache? Why do you think your skin falls off allover your body at abnormal rates? Why do you think IBD is so prevelant in people treated with Accutane? Why do you think stunted growth is a listed side effect? I'll tell you why: Because ACCUTANE INCREASES THE RATE OF CELL DEATH WITHIN THE BODY. Roche laughed at us as we destroyed our insides all in the name of clear skin. Fuck them, and fuck the FDA.

I was a little harsh there, but I don't care... and for those that had a postive experience while on Accutane-- good for you. I'd like to see a study done to compare the life-span of those treated with accutane and the general population. I would expect there to be a statistically significant difference between the two.

Ha. Accutane is a miracle drug for a lot of people, and helps them get their lives back. I don't see why it should be banned for everyone because you had a bad experience with it. Accutane is the reason I can now look at my bare face in the mirror without wanting to throw up.

okay, i'm sure for many people it works well, and they may get off scott free for the rest of their lives, but to the many people who do get really bad side effects, and before taking this drug u dont know if your one of those people, their lives are ruined beyond belief.

I thought i'd be one who got off scot free, but i had to be one of the rare ones, and now,just 1 month into roaccutane, my libido has been destroyed. I'm only 16, so i have dsiscontinued use and hope this shit works itself out quick.

First of all, what duchamp said.

Second of all, it is not worth arguing with people who are against accutane. They refuse to see reason. When I had joint pain on accutane, I was told by people on these boards that it would never go away and I'd better quit accutane immediately. Now that I've finished my 6 month, moderate dose course, my joint pain is almost completely gone. But it doesn't matter, because according to this new person, my life expectancy is going to be shorter. Of course, that can't actually be proven, but this person apparently thinks they "win" because they've come up with this hypothesis.

Ridiculous. I'm so glad I went on accutane and if the acne returns I will go back on in a second.

Cheers!

Yowasup- Don't waste your time trying to convince theese people that Accutane is bad, let them take it and find out for themselves. Try and help yourself to get better.....

As for aging and life expectancy-Anything that alters dna, induces differentiation and reduces proliferation of stem and progentior cells can't be good, but you won't convince them of that.

My best advice for US doctors would be prescribing 0.5/kg instead of 1.0/kg or at least to those who don't have cystic acne because 0.5 works just as fine as 1.0 and doesn't imply the risk of getting worse side-effects. The relationship between dermatologist and patient must be steady and constant, you must be aware of every thing that is different from before and tell him/her. Even if it's just a light head-ache or joint pain. I've red logs of people who were taking doses like 80/90mg the hell that's massive. The guy who has GERD took 80mg wtf.

Of course, taking this drug is like a life-contract so you must know what you're gonna except from it, just like chemioterapies. But don't think that Accutane is the only dangerous thing. My aunt is a nurse and she says that there things that we could never imagine being dangerous. Mushrooms, meat, milk and so on. Just like how cigarettes leads to cancer and alcohol to death.

If you want to suffer from the damage acne gives you, fine, live as if it wasn't a true problem. But if you can't take it anymore, then go for it. I don't think I'll ever bash this drug, even if my acne will come back. Because I knew what I would except from it.

Yowasup- Don't waste your time trying to convince theese people that Accutane is bad, let them take it and find out for themselves. Try and help yourself to get better.....

As for aging and life expectancy-Anything that alters dna, induces differentiation and reduces proliferation of stem and progentior cells can't be good, but you won't convince them of that.

It is funny you choose to word it like that, because I did take it, and it was nothing short of one of the best decisions of my life.

The sole regret that I have in regards to accutane is that I didn't go on it sooner- something i would have done had i not been dissuaded by unsubstantiated accounts such as this (Hence why i have little patience for the disingenuous fear mongers that predominate this thread).

'Disingenuous fear mongers'? i think that's presumptuous.

accutane worked for you, and you managed to escape without any (visible/noticeable) side effects (at least for now). And I'm sure that many people do have successful treatment and suffer few lasting side effects. But the fact remains that lasting side effects happen to more people than you think, and certainly more than the 'official' literature and guidelines given with the prescription state. So the least you can do is be open-minded. It's understandable that you're passionate about the drug because it served you well. But that doesn't mean that you should be quick to criticise those who have suffered bad side effects.

Fundamentally, you have to admit that the information distributed by Roche and other manufacturers of accutane is not the whole story. It's clear to see how and why certain information is unclear, difficult to quantify, or restricted - especially in terms of the lasting effects of accutane that, for many, surface a good while after treatment ends, as this is a hard thing to measure. And also, you simply can't speak so surely about a drug when it's exact mechanism of action is unclear!