Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aimee21

Questions about Accutane

Hi y'all!

So I'm about to start Accutane next month! I just had my first appointment with my new derm and did all the initial paperwork and everything...

But I have a few questions

1) What are the side effects you've experienced with it?

2) How did you cope with the side effects of Accutane?

3) Did you still keep on using creams and masks while you were on acutane? Or would it just cause your skin to dry out more? I've heard that you get an initial breakout and my derm told me that I most likely wont see clear skin till about my 3rd month into my accutane treatment.

I'll be on Accutane from January 15th-ish till about June 14th.

Now...I'm planning on going to France on May 9th for about 3 weeks for a French literature class the my school offers....but...my last appointment to get my last prescription of Accutane wont be till around May 15th- meaning I'll be in France (or I hope to be!)...now I'm worried that this might mean that I wont be able to get the prescription for my last month! That would be awful! Has anyone else been in this situation? Would I be able to get my last prescription a week in advance? I called my derm's office but they havent gotten back to me....

oh and heres my accutane log if anyone is interested! <3

1)

-hair thinning (use a shampo like Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp)

-red, dry skin

-ezema

-dry eyes

-head swelling & head aches

-joint pain

2)

-used as little skin products as possible

-always moisturised

-thought of the end results (it really is worth it)

3) Do NOT use acne creams while on Accutane. The only things I put on my face are moisturiser and foundation. Acne creams will make your skin really painful and dry. Just let Accutane do it's thing.

Hi y'all!

So I'm about to start Accutane next month! I just had my first appointment with my new derm and did all the initial paperwork and everything...

But I have a few questions

1) What are the side effects you've experienced with it?

Dry lips

Dry skin

Increased sweating

Anxiety/getting paranoid

Fatigue

Headaches

Reduced Motivation

Perhaps increased depression. I think it's mainly down to other factors though.

Joint ache after the gym

Muscle ache after the gym

2) How did you cope with the side effects of Accutane?

E45 and Unguentum cream for dryness of skin and lips.

Bought more expensive anti-wetness deoderants

Try to calm myself down and tell myself I'm alright, try and relax.

Paracetamol and going to bed earlier.

Sticking motivational quotes everywhere.

Just riding with the depression until I can start going to the gym again.

Going to the gym much less/lower intensity workouts.

3) Did you still keep on using creams and masks while you were on acutane? Or would it just cause your skin to dry out more? I've heard that you get an initial breakout and my derm told me that I most likely wont see clear skin till about my 3rd month into my accutane treatment.

If it's facial scrubs or anything abrasive like that then you need to avoid it. It will make your skin weaker to tear and that leads to more scarring as you scare much more easily on accutane etc. I personally found my spots "froze" in time, they just didn't do anything and then slowly dissapeared, so really, there's no point in trying to prevent new ones. You have to let accutane do its stuff and put up with it even if you look and feel worse for a bit.

(Certainly don't try using benzoyl peroxide with it).

Best to use simple, non-abrasive creams and face washes. Avene and Simple are good brands for such products.

I'll be on Accutane from January 15th-ish till about June 14th.

Now...I'm planning on going to France on May 9th for about 3 weeks for a French literature class the my school offers....but...my last appointment to get my last prescription of Accutane wont be till around May 15th- meaning I'll be in France (or I hope to be!)...now I'm worried that this might mean that I wont be able to get the prescription for my last month! That would be awful! Has anyone else been in this situation? Would I be able to get my last prescription a week in advance? I called my derm's office but they havent gotten back to me....

The dermatologist should be able to arrange something with you. Giving you your drugs earlier for example.

Thanks for the replies!

I cant wait to actually start Accutane! I hate that I have to wait a whole month to start it...especially because I'm already practicing abstinence so I dont see the use in having to wait a month...oh well stupid Ipledge system.

So no creams or anything while on accutane? What about all the initial breakouts though? I dont plan on using Retin-A (thats what I have right now) at night because I know it can be pretty harsh on the face...but what about a mask once a week (like Proactiv's mask). I usually use a mask at least twice a week- I'm right now really liking Neutrogena's cleaner and mask- all in one- its benzoyl peroxide.

I wouldnt usually be this worried- but the spring semester is when all the fraternity formals are! And this one guy I'm kinda interested in...his fraternity has their formal in February...so the last thing I want is to have a big red zit on my face. I'm not looking into having clear skin by then (as I've never had clear skin as long as I can remember- oh gosh I cant wait till I start Accutane and hopefully *crossing my fingers* have clear skin by the time I'm done with my treatment!) but I dont want to have big huge zits all around my face that I cant control.

I talked to my derm's office if I can get my prescription early and they told me its so far in the future I shouldnt worry about it...easy for them to say, but the last thing I would want is to start my treatment and then not be able to finish my last month because I'm going out of the country and cant have my lab work done at the exact time I'm suppose to get it done...

Ah I cant wait!

Thanks for the replies! <3

So I just started Accutane on Friday night!

yaaaaaaaaaaay so excited!

So I have a couple more questions....

1) I currently use Neutrogena's Clear Skin Makeup- so my foundation (both liquid and compact) have .5% of salicylic acid. I'm almost done with both and I just want to finish them up so I dont have old makeup lying around...but I also know that you're not suppose to put on any topicals on your face while you're on accutane...so should I stop? I think the reason why is because your skin can dry up really badly- but luckily my skin is pretty good for now and .5% salicylic acid (in my opinion) isnt that strong and isnt going to do much anyway.

So my question is...should I stop and switch to a makeup that has no salicylic acid right now? Or do you think it would be okay for me to keep on using it for the next week or two and just finish up what I have now?

2) Is the only reason why you cant use topicals because it dries out your skin? I've also heard that it doesnt let Accutane do its job or something on that line.

3) I use a toner after I wash my face...will that further dry my skin? Its suppose to help with dry skin though...

Thanks in ahead!

btw it feels soooooooooo weird not putting on any topicals- I used Retin-A at night and then put on Murad's sulfur cream stuff on my face in the morning!

This is my 10th day on accutane, and so far in my opinion I've had a pretty bad initial breakout consisting of alot of small white heads and three big cysts. I also have dry skin, but only on my face and some very minor headaches that only come at night.

to dwarf1579 the headaches do subside after the first week or two. I am currently on day i dont know what but im on the 4th month and tbh it has not really been torture as some ppl put it. Yes it can get very uncomfortable at times with the extremely chapped lips and dry skin when im outside but for the most part im doing alright. I have not used creams or masks while on my course because the dryness will get out of control. In fact, sometimes i just use water to wash my face and i have cleared up considerably. I will admit that a few times i have used small dabs of BP on a cyst or big zit and it clears it up twice as fast if i werent on accutane and no burning or itching.

Here is a list of the side effects i have had: Dry eyes ( even with the oaysis contacts ), soar lower back ( worse at the beginning ), few nose bleeds, a hemoroid ( pretty uncomfortable ), and one thing i havent heard of with ppl on accutane and its lack of concentration ( zoning out even in a serious conversation ).

Also i notice when i go to the gym i sweat twice as much than before which i think is good because its unclogging my pores. But while working out even intense high weight exercises i dont experience muscle pain or soarness besides the weight making me soar. Joints do get a little stiff but water helps a ton. I am trying to bodybuild and while on accutane, ironically, i have made my best gains. Went from 165 to 190 in 3.5 months. Hope this helps and dont stress too much because when its done, its done for good and you have clear skin that stays clear.

a hemoroid ( pretty uncomfortable )

I have a question about this. I'm on day 11 of Accutane and I've been having some serious bum issues the past few days. A lot of itching(very very uncomfortable) and very raw/red. Sometimes a little blood on the toilet paper(a couple of pinhead spots, not much at all). I've never had hemorrhoids and I've never experienced anything like this. I have no clue if it's the 'tane or something else.

Does this sound familiar? Did it go away on its own or did you have to see a doc. Thanks for the reply.

I have a question about this. I'm on day 11 of Accutane and I've been having some serious bum issues the past few days. A lot of itching(very very uncomfortable) and very raw/red. Sometimes a little blood on the toilet paper(a couple of pinhead spots, not much at all). I've never had hemorrhoids and I've never experienced anything like this. I have no clue if it's the 'tane or something else.

Does this sound familiar? Did it go away on its own or did you have to see a doc. Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like you have one too. Someone told me it wouldn't burn or itch like it does if it were a bowel infection or something of that matter. Its most likely an enlarged blood vessel ( a hemoroid ) and it does go away but the best you stay hydrated and it goes away alot faster. My word of advice, lots and lots of water. Probably some Prep H to help for the time being also. Im on month 4 and only got one or two the whole course.

Thanks. I've been drinking lots of water. I play tennis a good bit, so I try to keep hydrated.

Hopefully it goes away in a few days. It's pretty uncomfortable.

I hate to admit it but I also got a hemorrhoid myself- it hurt for a while but I'm feeling better.

So I've been feeling REALLY REALLY REALLY dizzy lately...especially at night. I get dizzy spells here and there (it runs in the family) but I usually dont get them this consecutive. And its ALWAYS at night (in the past I would get them in the morning and at night).

At first I was kinda worried- I started getting these night dizzy spells from Friday night and its always at night around 11/midnightish and I just feel so dizzy. So it started on my 14th day of accutane...(sorry boys this might be slightly tmi for y'all) I was slightly worried and annoyed as I'm trying to study...but then I got my period today so I thought maybe its correlated to that (I've never gotten dizzy with my period but I thought that maybe my period and all the hormone + accutane isnt a good mix) so I thought I wouldnt be dizzy anymore but I'm still super dizzy. so dizzy all I really want to do is just lay down. Not good as I'm a college student and its midterms week!

Has anyone else had this?

Oh so a few more random things I searched online and I know one of Accutane's side effect is dizziness- but what do you do about it? Like what are you suppose to do? And please dont tell me sleep- because I cant be sleeping all the time especially when accutane knocks me out for a good 8-10 hours whenever I sleep.

And another note so it looks like it could also cause anemia?! Has anyone else had this? Because that would make sense since I'm pretty sure I have low iron levels (not low enough to be anemic, but more on the lower side) to begin with so I wouldnt be surprised.

And I also stopped taking my calcium and Immune support supplements since sometime around last week- before I had been really good...maybe its correlated?

Any help/advice is welcomed! Thanks in advance!

1) at first-itchy scalp and dandruff (went away after 1st month)

red face, flushing easier than usual

dry lips (not too bad)

irritated stinging eyes & a couple nosebleeds (could just be from extra dry air this winter though)

eczema coming back full force

tired & foggy headed

2) How did you cope with the side effects of Accutane? just using over the counter lotions for eczema...isn't anything dire but i could get a prescription for it if i really needed, taking eyedrops everyday and not caking on eye makeup like i used to, lots of caffeine & chapstick

3) my skin isnt THAT dry on it....i spot treated with benzoyl peroxide until the 2nd month and it worked well