Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bballer2330

Accutane after 10 days- some hair loss already!! but clear skin so far.

hey everyone, I'm on day 10 of my accutane treatment and so far my face has been really clear. I had mild acne in the beginning and since the treatment have only got a few new bumps that went away quicker than normal. My skin just started to get dry yesterday, but I noticed my scalp is extremely dry and itchy, and I've never had that problem in my life. I also think my hair is thinning and I may be losing some. It really freaks me out since I'm only 10 days in the treatment. Does anyone have tips on what I should do or should I call my derm? I mean clear skin is great, but I really don't want to be bald at age 21 when I had a full head of hair before the treatment!!!

Accutane causes either TE or Alopecia or if you family has a hx of MPB it will speed up the process. See the hairloss thread.

If you call your derm he or she will tell you it will come back after your course. This is not always the case.

You will have to choose hair or mild acne....

try some biotin,though it sometimes causes acne in people, try shampoos like head and shoulders for dry scalp...

good luck

Talked to the derm about an hour ago and he said hair loss was very uncommon, especially at only 40 mg and only 10 days into the treatment. He said to take the 40 mg pill every other day for a week and see if the hair loss stops. If it doesnt, I will come off the treatment. If it does stop, we will go to 20mg the next month. My face is looking better than ever, man I hate to slow down the treatment now. He asked if it was coming out in clumps, but it isnt, its just a few hairs when i brush it or shower. He also recommended neutrogena t gel for the itchiness and dry scalp, anyone used this while on accutane?

i just finish my accutane course about 2 weeks ago, and i also thought i was going bald at the beginning. I was taking 40 mg day and night with a few supplements i added myself. At first i did see my hair thinning on the sides, but grew back in about 3 months. Ummmm and when my scalp got really dry and itchy i used nutrogena t/gel, definitely works wonders!

you know it's generally pretty normally to lose a few hairs

my hairs pretty long for a guy, necklength, and alot of the time when i brushed my hair in the morning BEFORE i started accuane i'ld lose a couple of hairs.

well yeah I understand that, but I mean I'm waking up and seeing 7-8 strands of hair on my pillow, and I've never had hair loss that was noticeable. I can feel my hair and just see how brittle it is and how much thinner it is, hopefully cutting back to every other day will help though

Your hair will grow back. Try using a shampoo like Head & Shoulders for Dry Scalp or Neutrogena T-Gel to prevent your scalp from getting dry (which is what causes the hair loss).

I also experienced hair loss about 10 days into accutane. I also had a severely itchy scalp.. I recommend not washing your hair as often, scalp messages, getting all your nutrients and talking to your doctor. Does your hair have the little bulb at the end of it? If it does then it's probably TE which means your hair is probably going to grow back. Otherwise it could be alopecia but I don't know for sure. You're pretty lucky because I lost over 200 strands a day.. I know someone else who lost hair on accutane but reversed it by taking collagen. I don't know much about taking collagen and I don't know if it would interfere with accutane so I wouldn't recommend it.

Anyway, it shouldn't be anything too serious.. Just try to avoid as much stress and don't worry to much about it because it will probably grow back. Best of luck!

hey everyone, just a tip for anyone with hair loss I've found something that may help people. I started using neutrogena t gel shampoo every other day. I also condition everyday with Aussie 3 minute miracle deep conditioner, and then Aussie dry hair leave in conditioner. I also started using vol5 hot oil moisturizer around every week. This all seems to keep my scalp from getting too dry and has kept my hair from falling out as fast, although I still am seeing some hair thinning. Hope this helps!

Honestly, hair loss has been kind of stressful for me. I have 1 month left of my course and I have lost considerable hair. I'm hoping it all grows back, or most of it. Needless to say it is unnerving. I use jojoba oil to keep my head more "naturally" oily and do not wash my hair every day. Scrubbing it a lot will just irritate it and make you shed more.

BUT, my hair was so thick before no one could really look at me and notice anything. I think 25% is all in my head and 75% is for sure hair loss, but I hope I am just overrating it some. Looking forward to getting off. Message me sometime if you want more details or an update. Best of luck!