Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
13owman

Is accutane permanent?

My lips, face and hair are still dry but not like flaking/chapped/dandriff

will my oil glands ever return to their normal state? sure acne is a hard thing to live with, but dry/itchy skin that flares up is another thing. i used to be able to rub my finger along my nose and have oil on my fingers, now theres nothing.

im 10 months post accutane btw.

For hair, make sure you use moisturizing formulas of high quality products.

For skin, exfoliate (lately I love BeneFit's Honey and Almond scrub) and use moisturizer religiously. I am currently using Laura Mercier's moisturizing foundation. I am just finishing my accutane course and it gives me a glowing complexion (people have literally said, "Your skin is glowing!").

I don't know if your hair and skin will go back to the way they were before. Since it is 10 months, I think your results might be permanent. Which is actually good! You just have to learn how to deal with your "new" skin. Most of us are so used to dealing with oily skin (blotting, using powder, using oil-free products, etc.) that we forget there is a whole different type of skin out there that requires its own special care.

Good luck!

For hair, make sure you use moisturizing formulas of high quality products.

For skin, exfoliate (lately I love BeneFit's Honey and Almond scrub) and use moisturizer religiously. I am currently using Laura Mercier's moisturizing foundation. I am just finishing my accutane course and it gives me a glowing complexion (people have literally said, "Your skin is glowing!").

I don't know if your hair and skin will go back to the way they were before. Since it is 10 months, I think your results might be permanent. Which is actually good! You just have to learn how to deal with your "new" skin. Most of us are so used to dealing with oily skin (blotting, using powder, using oil-free products, etc.) that we forget there is a whole different type of skin out there that requires its own special care.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.

I wish my doctor would have informed me of these long term effects. Would have definately changed my mind.

So does accutane permanently damage the liver? Is this how the results are permanent?

Is never good to have dry itchy skin, as it might resulted into dermatitis. Anyway, all hopes are not lost. I have read posts which some people stated that they recovered from dry skin after a few years. Just do what you can for now.

Edited by Max-

Im crossing my fingers that it comes back.

Other than my skin producing less oil, is there anything else my body/liver is not doing as good as it use to?

I believe the liver is responsible for like proteins and filtering... does accutane affect any of its other functions? Is my liver overall less healthy because of thi vitamin A overdose?

i used to be able to rub my finger along my nose and have oil on my fingers, now theres nothing.

It's good, isn't? I wish I could eliminate the oil on my nose, forehead and everywhere on my face!

i used to be able to rub my finger along my nose and have oil on my fingers, now theres nothing.

It's good, isn't? I wish I could eliminate the oil on my nose, forehead and everywhere on my face!

No, you don't.

No, you don't.

yes, you do. the oil you do not have anymore has nothing to do with dry skin. You dont need that oil (sebum). It doesnt do anything for you but contribute to acne.

No, you don't.

yes, you do. the oil you do not have anymore has nothing to do with dry skin. You dont need that oil (sebum). It doesnt do anything for you but contribute to acne.

Totally incorrect- Sebum's main purpose is to make the skin and hair waterproof and to protect them from drying out. You are right, however, that an EXCESS of sebum can make the skin or hair oily, and lead to acne.

Edited by yowasup

Im crossing my fingers that it comes back.

Other than my skin producing less oil, is there anything else my body/liver is not doing as good as it use to?

I believe the liver is responsible for like proteins and filtering... does accutane affect any of its other functions? Is my liver overall less healthy because of thi vitamin A overdose?

If your worried about damage done to your liver you should take St Mary's Thistle aka Milk Thistle this is a natural herb that is proven to be very beneficial in rebuilding and repairing the liver. You can get it in pill form from any health food store. I get mine in a liquid tincture from my naturopath. I always make sure I take it daily as I'm on accutane as well. Try searching about it on google if your interested. I know that it's helping me.

No, you don't.

Totally incorrect- Sebum's main purpose is to make the skin and hair waterproof and to protect them from drying out. You are right, however, that an EXCESS of sebum can make the skin or hair oily, and lead to acne.

No, you are ignorant. Sebum's main purpose is not to make the skin and hair waterproof or help them from drying out. There is no purpose for sebum. Look at a child, they have no sebum but there skin and hair are just fine.

No, you don't.

No, you are ignorant. Sebum's main purpose is not to make the skin and hair waterproof or help them from drying out. There is no purpose for sebum. Look at a child, they have no sebum but there skin and hair are just fine.

There are numerous reasons for sebum, plus people who use the baby comparison are forgetting one thing....MANY babies have eczema and other forms of dermatitis and only outgrow these conditions once oil production begins later on in life.

One other main reason for sebum is to regulate skin flora balance e.g. the ratio of different bacterias and fungie. This is why alot of people get things such as folliculitis, seb derm blepharitis, eczema etc etc after accutane.

For instance Staphylococcus aureus proliforates much better in dry skin.... an increase in Staphylococcus aureus causes atleast two of the above dermatitis...