Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let me start off by giving a little information about myself. I am a 25 year old male who has suffered with severe acne on my face as well as back, shoulders, chest and arms since I was 13 years old. I have used many topicals for acne including Nuetrogena, Proactive, etc. with very minimal success.

Since my early 20's I have stopped breaking out on my chest thankfully but still have broken out severely on my back, shoulders, arms, and face. A few years back I went to the dermatologist and was put on a Doxy/Retin-A-Micro combination. During the 8 months or so that I was on this combination, I still was breaking out moderate to severe on my entire body. To compound the issue I had develped folliculitis (in my early 20's, maybe late teens) and so I now had to deal with severe breakouts on my upper legs and butt as well. I was literally breaking out everywhere.

Rather than go back to the derm for more expensive prescriptions, I opted to start a strict diet/vitamin regimen (using information that I learned from this site) that improved my skin a lot and gave me the closest feeling of normalcy as I had ever experienced, yet I was still breaking out fairly often. That is demoralizing when you eat basically nothing but tuna/meat, vegetables, apples and drink only water. Despite the struggle of eating like this, I maintained this diet for about 4 months before I decided I can't live my life this way. I was ready to try Accutane.

I guess my Accutane course was fairy standard, except that my liver counts were often high, and I would have been taken off of the drug had I not taken a milk thistle supplement (which is part of my current regimen) which dramatically lowered my counts and allowed me to finish my course. Upon completion of Accutane my skin stayed clear for about 5-6 months. Then it began to come back. Rather than do a second course of Accutane, I decided I would try a vitamin A based regimen that I had read about people doing with success. Well I have been doing my version of this regimen for about 3 1/2 months now, and it has kept me nearly 100% clear.

My regimen is a total blemish system, preventing both acne and folliculitis. This regimen treats acne with the following:

*Vitamin A - active ingredient in Accutane

*Lemon Juice (combats acidity) - especially important if you suffer from Folliculitis i.e bumps on your legs, butt, as well as arms/face

*Antibacterial soap - combats folliculitis, keeps skin clean :) *needs to be antibacterial if you suffer from folliculitis

*Diet - still important with any regimen, limiting partially hydrogenated oils, dairy, high glycemic foods, and to a less extent omega 6 fats and sugar

Cod liver oil/fish oil - helps to maintain a reasonably balanced omega 6-omega 3 ratio

If you are unfamiliar with acidity and its correlation with acne/folliculitis, then take some time to read about it in the forums, there are quite a few posts on it You can also google it for more extensive info.

Here is what is needed for my regimen (links are to the products I use)

Vitamin A 8,000 IU softgels ($4-$5 per 100 softgels)

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Vit...on=push-product

Milk thistle supplement for healthy liver function ($4-$6 per bottle)

http://www.amazon.com/Sundown-Milk-Thistle...3879&sr=8-1

Non-comedogenic moisturizer ($6-$8)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0...60901&s=hpc

Antibacterial cleanser ($4)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0...4588&sr=8-3

A lot of lemons

Cod liver oil - ($6-$12) liquid form preferably because it contains higher amounts of omega 3, thus its cheaper per dose. There are flavored cod liver oils, but if you can't stomach them, then fish oil capsules are o.k.

Food - My main diet consists of low fat turkey, canned tuna, vegetables, low fat turkey chili (Dennisons, Hormel etc. I surprisingly never get sick of this stuff) oatmeal (with stevia or minimal sugar), chicken breast, fish, fruit (apples, peaches, pears, grapes) vanilla soy milk (goes good on oatmeal with stevia or a little sugar, its also good with cereal which I have from time to time). I drink mainly lemon water and apple juice. This is my main diet.

My main diet isn't too exciting but its not as restricting as it used to be. I allow myself to indulge a fair amount of the time. I eat smallish portions of spagetti/fettucini, and low gi cereal such as Fiber One. I try to limit my wheat intake, but I don't omit it. I treat myself a couple of times a week to sweets such as brownies, pie, cookies, dark chocolate etc. and I don't stress over it possibly breaking me out, cause most of the time, it doesn't. Moderation is key when it comes to the bad foods. I reward myself with these foods for sticking to my diet. I'm not gonna lie, I probably eat 2 or 3 oreos every other day, its not a big deal if you limit it. I also limit my fat intake, as well as sugar. The only foods I try to completely avoid are partially hydrogenated oils, milk, and *high glycemic foods (*I enjoy these foods in small amounts from time to time).

Ok now that you know what is needed, here is my regimen.

Morning:

1) I Wake up, take 5 vitamin A softgels (total of 40,000 IU) and take one serving of my milk thistle supplement (240mg milk thistle extract) usually with some breakfast

*With each meal I squeeze 1/2 a lemon into a glass of water to drink (I usually go through 2 lemons a day)

*With each meal containg a decent amount of fat (like 5+ grams) I take one teaspoonfull of cod liver oil (I usually take 2-3 teaspoonfulls a day)

2) I Take a shower, washing with cetaphil antibacterial soap

3) I Apply moisturizer to my face/neck

Evening:

4) 7-8 hours after taking my first dose of vitamin A, I take a second dose of 5 vitamin A softgels (total of 40,000 IU) I do not take a second dose of milk thistle supplement at this time

Night:

5) I Take a shower, washing with cetaphil antibacterial soap *sometimes I am too tired to take a second shower at night, so I just wash my face. I always get at least one shower in every day.

6) I Apply moisturizer to my face/neck (I apply it to my arms/shoulders as well)

Right before I go to bed:

7) I Take one last dose of 5 vitamin A softgels (total of 40,000 IU) and a second dose of my milk thistle supplement (240 mg milk thistle extract)

8) Sleep, and repeat every day.

*After doing this regimen for 6 months, I will stop taking vitamin A for a period of 5 months, while continuing with the rest of the regimen. I am hopeful I will remain clear during that time span. 120,000 IU of vitamin A daily equates to a low dose Accutane. Upon completing a course of Accutane, you are told to wait 5-6 months before starting a second course, as Vitamin A builds up in your body over time.

*Note - My skin and lips do get dry, but its not as bad as when I was on Accutane.

With moisturizer, I do not experience any dryness.

This regimen has benefitted me in such a big way, that I felt compelled to write this. Accutane is simply not possible for some people due to the cost. This is a much cheaper alternative. I know that when most people list there regimen, they say that everybody is different and that what works for one may not work for another. I, however am pretty confident that this regimen will work for most, if not all people, young to old, as it treats acne on a complete level.

Edited by ScottC has no game

If this continues to work will you be doing it for years?

Because 120,000 IU of Vitamin A over years will destroy your bones and liver your only 25 but it will catch up with you Milk Thistle supplements or not.

Because 120,000 IU of Vitamin A over years will destroy your bones and liver your only 25 but it will catch up with you Milk Thistle supplements or not.

Good point Liquid Snake. Many people jump on the overdose bandwagon way to easily.

Edited by Packerfan785

Good point Liquid Snake. Many people jump on the overdose bandwagon way to easily.

One question about this, what about if you eat a high dosage of Vitamin A from sweet potatoes? Eating 500 calries from sweet potato will give you around 100,000 IU of vitamin A. Do you think this will be a problem? (I am gonna start eating more cassava or other tuber if so, because I am eating around 2 sweet potatoes a day = ~500 cals)

One question about this, what about if you eat a high dosage of Vitamin A from sweet potatoes? Eating 500 calries from sweet potato will give you around 100,000 IU of vitamin A. Do you think this will be a problem? (I am gonna start eating more cassava or other tuber if so, because I am eating around 2 sweet potatoes a day = ~500 cals)