Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
happyfourth

Why the regime may not be working for you

As many of you know, acne can be aggravated by many factors, including prescription and non-prescription drugs, pore-clogging substances, chemical irritants, abrasive substances, bacteria, physical damage such as scratching, extreme weather conditions such as high wind drying the skin, and so on. If you find that your skin does not respond favorably to the regime then maybe there are other factors such as the ones listed above that are contributing towards your situation.

There seems to be many people who experience side effects from different products, some of which are supposed to help acne and some that don’t. It is my understanding that many chemicals other than pure water can possibly cause adverse skin reactions, it depends on how the individual reacts to the chemical. Some would say that roughly half of the population has skin which is easily irritated, yet it seems that the majority of skincare products on the market contain a significant amount of irritants. In short, many skincare product companies sell products that cause more harm than good and some flat out lie about their product claims. Consumers, and especially people who suffer from acne, need to take the product hype for what it is and carefully read the ingredient labels along with researching questionable ingredients. I have included some websites below that may help you to research potentially irritating ingredients.

As many of you know, sometimes using products with irritants is a matter of choosing between the lesser of 2 evils. For example, most products need some sort of preservative to help prevent bacteria growth (and therefore help prevent infections); however, that preservative can also irritate the skin.

This page lists many chemicals found in cosmetics that can cause reactions –

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:almA1...+chart%22&hl=en

A partial list of chemical irritants (many in the workplace) -

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:-Vk4L.../allergic.htm+%

A partial list of biological irritants (many in the workplace) -

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:EQC_H...atitis%22&hl=en

This page lists some foods that can cause skin reactions -

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:K3oF8...icaria%22&hl=en

This site has a searchable database of some of the products on the market –

http://cosmeticscop.com/learn/reviews.asp

I have had moderate acne for 12 years. I would consider my skin to be mildly sensitive but I try to treat my skin as though it is very sensitive and like a “sterile field�. Since I have started my own regime about a year ago I only have the occasional small whitehead every week or so. For those of you who are interested, this is my own regime –

1. I wash my face in the morning with lukewarm water (apparently extremes of hot and/or cold temperatures can “shock� the skin and aggravate acne, and steaming is out because it can damage capillaries).

2. I would use a gentle liquid cleanser such as Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash (apparently the chemical that holds bar soap in a “bar� form can clog pores).

3. I gently dry my face with a clean towel every time.

4. I use some sort of BP solution as directed on the packaging that has a simple formulation (by simple formulation I mean no colorants, fragrances, etc. as well as limited irritants). Generally, the higher the percentage of BP the less I need to apply.

5. I use some sort of oil-free moisturizer as directed on the packaging with a simple formulation.

6. I try to limit my use of makeup, and only use oil-free and simple formulations. However, apparently terms such as “oil-free� may be misleading, see http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....EFER=SKIN&ID=21

7. I try not to let anything touch my face during the day and I wash my hands frequently.

8. I try to clean phones I use with rubbing alcohol as often as I can.

9. I am also careful about hair care products as these can be transferred onto my skin. I try to use gentle shampoos without sodium lauryl sulfate or ammonium xylenesufonate, because if these can irritate and dry out my scalp then most likely they can irritate my skin on contact. I avoid conditioners and styling products that contain oil, waxes and other ingredients that can clog pores and/or cause irritation.

10. I don’t wear hats, scarves, turtlenecks, headbands, etc. because these can rub against the skin on or near my face and cause irritation, bacterial formation, etc.

11. I use clean pillowcases every night (I can’t say enough what a difference just this alone has made) and I wash my sheets, pajamas, etc. regularly. I also try to sleep in a cooler room because sweat seems to aggravate my acne.

12. I try to use laundry detergents and fabric softeners that do not contain irritants.

13. I try to drink more water and get my appropriate vitamin and mineral intake.

14. I try to avoid caffeine and other foods/drinks that can leave me dehydrated.

15. If I need to exfoliate my skin I try to use a simple formulation of salicylic acid rather than an abrasive substance.

16. I use lip balm with a simple formulation to help prevent breakouts near my lip line.

17. Basically, I try to use the least amount of unnecessary chemicals as possible.

As many of you know, acne “knows� extremely well how to survive, and many skincare product companies are not really helping the situation. I believe that if acne sufferers do their best to educate themselves about harmful products and use common sense then we will be closer to “outsmarting� acne to a manageable level. I wish you all the best.

thanks for the links... i have very sensitive skin and im always searching for gentler products. it seems like even the "sensitive skin" products contain irritants.

i just checked my shampoo and its packed with irritants. im gonna look into more gentler shampoos, maybe a baby shampoo would be good.

Thanks for the advice. I just switched to a Thursday Plantation Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner in my belief that my shampoo/conditioner is not helping my skin even if it doesn't touch it. I have clean pillowcases, towels etc every night and do pretty much the same as you but it's definately important to be aware as to what's in everything and what you're using.

Thanks for all the information, it was really helpful! I use purpose cleansing wash as well-I was looking on the ingredients list and noticed that sodium laurel sulfate is one the main ingredients. Do you find it irratating to your skin? My skin broke out in these little rash like bumps all over my forhead and I can't tell if it's the eucerin renewal or the purpose:)

I  use purpose cleansing wash as well-I was looking on the ingredients list and noticed that sodium laurel sulfate is one the main ingredients.  Do you find it irratating to your skin?

I  use purpose cleansing wash as well-I was looking on the ingredients list and noticed that sodium laurel sulfate is one the main ingredients.  Do you find it irratating to your skin?  My skin broke out in these little rash like bumps all over my forhead and I can't tell if it's the eucerin renewal or the purpose:)

Happyfourth Thanks for the info-I didn't notice the difference between the two different sulfates. I do think it the AHA because my face seems to be feeling much better since stopping the Eucerin. I really like the consistnency though! I may try the clearasil cleanser if the purpose doesn't work-I really like the clean feeling I get from purpose! My skin rather oily.

Hey mischief2

Why thursday plantation? What happened to the A'kin range? The gentlest shampoos/conditioners you can get?

Hey hatch,

The Akin was great but my I gave it to my brothers kids as they have very sensitive skin (they just came to visit recently) and one had a rash and they love the stuff now. I was going to go and buy more for myself but decided to try Thursday Plantation because my scalp is very dry and they had an anti dandruff shampoo and I thought the tea tree would be beneficial for my skin overall. I adore tea tree, it's my secret weapon. wink.gif I love it so far but may try Akin again which was great also.

happyfourh, what products do you use? have you tried the paula's choice skin care products?