Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doy5

So I started Proactiv a few days ago.

Heres my daily schedule, help me alter it to make it to the best I possibly can!

730-AM:

Shower for 15minutes

Get out of shower immediately and use the 3 step proactiv treatment.

Evening: 7pm-10pm:

Shower if needed, if not apply hot wrag to my face for a few second then apply proactiv

Does this seem pretty optimal?

The only thing is I was watching a video online from the admin or teenacne.org and he says not to use it right out of the shower, but doesn't say why not? He said he showered but didn't get his face wet in the mornings, then 30mintues later he would use the treatment?

I really would try something else. Proactiv did nothing for me whatsoever. I used it when I was younger because my friends were on it and it seemed like a popular product. After a while, my skin just began to resist it and Proactiv just made my acne worse to the point where I am today.

Heres my daily schedule, help me alter it to make it to the best I possibly can!

730-AM:

Shower for 15minutes

Shower if needed, if not apply hot wrag to my face for a few second then apply proactiv

The only thing is I was watching a video online from the admin or teenacne.org and he says not to use it right out of the shower, but doesn't say why not? He said he showered but didn't get his face wet in the mornings, then 30mintues later he would use the treatment?

I've been using proactiv on and off... but now I've been using it for two year, twice a day everyday......

It's working wonder. Your routine looks good.

You must watch your face with warm water. That's how I do it.

Edited by EddieE

Thanks Eddie, is it very similar to your routine with it? I just don't want to over wash and irritate my skin, but I've been washing my face 3 times a day and some say that's too many? I'm just curious as to why it's not good after a shower?

i did not like proactive. i gave it a serious effort and it did nothing for the long term solution. i even tried the mask, and whenever i'd dry my face off, i noticed that my towel would get discoloured. i immediately stopped using the stuff because whatever it was doing to my towel i did NOT want on my skin.

730-AM:

Shower for 15minutes

I used proactiv for a long time, probably 2 years, and only stopped recently because it was too expensive. My routine was fairly similar to yours, though I always tried to wash my face with warm-to-cool water to reduce irritation. I'm not sure what the video may have meant about not using it after a shower; I would use the proactiv cleanser in the shower and then continue with the toner when i got out, and never had any problem doing that. I think you mentioned in another post that you sometimes wash your face 3 times a day, which in my experience was probably too much with the proactiv system since the cleanser has bp in it.

All in all I liked proactiv--it worked as well or better than anything else i've tried, and it always left my skin feeling really smooth and soft, and never dried it out. Hope it works for you too, good luck!

730-AM:

Shower for 15minutes

I used proactiv for a long time, probably 2 years, and only stopped recently because it was too expensive. My routine was fairly similar to yours, though I always tried to wash my face with warm-to-cool water to reduce irritation. I'm not sure what the video may have meant about not using it after a shower; I would use the proactiv cleanser in the shower and then continue with the toner when i got out, and never had any problem doing that. I think you mentioned in another post that you sometimes wash your face 3 times a day, which in my experience was probably too much with the proactiv system since the cleanser has bp in it.

All in all I liked proactiv--it worked as well or better than anything else i've tried, and it always left my skin feeling really smooth and soft, and never dried it out. Hope it works for you too, good luck!

Very good point about the Cleanser in the shower, I don't know why I didn't think of that haha! The only reason I even wash my face that much is because I have pretty oily skin, and I usually use some oil remvoal sheets throughout the day too! I've heard good and bad with proactiv as everyone has, but dans treatment didn't seem to be working the greatest, but if this doesn't work I dont know what else to try.

Hey!

I felt like Proactiv/bp cleansers worked the best for me out of anything else I tried.

For me, it seemed to work best when I washed my face IN the shower. After washing my hair, I would let the water run over my face to open pores, then pat dry and apply proactiv (or other bp cleanser), massaging a bit then leaving on while I shaved my legs etc. and rinsed off right before getting out of shower. I usually skipped the toner, and applied the lotion (eventually I switched from bp lotion to trentinoin gel) after my face was dry. ( I only did this 1x day, at night) I got the most clear I have been (since getting acne) using this method.

I think they suggest waiting to apply toner & lotion until after face is dry b/c it is less irritating that way...

I am now experimenting with the water only method. I am tired of being "addicted" to such products.

Good luck!

Edited by LittleTweety

Okay, sorry to dampen things, but I'm in the bandwagon with unhappy customers who have used Proactiv. I think it starts to reduce acne if you've especially if you've got lots of pustules, comedomes etc.

After a while though, if you miss just one application, your skin will break out like crazy - so remember to keep to the routine, no slip ups!

For me, the Benzoyl Peroxide didn't do anything and it was too harsh (is it 5%?). In hindsight, I shold of used their Green Tea Moisturiser or any other moisturiser as theirs sucked.

It really does sting the skin and is harsh, it always left my face REALLY red and inflamed for the WHOLE day so I'd love using it at night, not so much in the mornings - Remember to wear sunscreen.

I did like their cleanser which had bead thingos - it felt nice, like an exfoliation.

The only thing Proactiv has going for them is Vanessa Williams.

You should use the regimen instead; it's just as effective, much cheaper, and contains much more material. Proactiv's repairing lotion only contains a measly 2 ounces of bp; the regimen has them in 8 oz and 16 oz containers for a fraction of the price.

Edited by bojanglesk8

I used Proactiv a few years ago, when I had very mild acne. It pretty much did nothing for me. I kind of liked the sulfur thing though, that overnight/spot-treatment cream. That worked temporarily I think.

Take into account what type of acne you have, I'm pretty sure mine's genetic, which could be why Proactiv doesn't work for me. (Nothing does, actually, sigh)

I have used ProActive products for 3 years now, and they have worked the best of anything on my stubborn skin. At this point I only use the refining mask and spot treatment, but I may order the entire system again- I was very happy with it.

Washing your face 3 times a day will not help you, but hinder your progress- so reduce that to twice a day. Use the cleanser in the shower, apply the other products after your skin has dried completely (after each step, that is). Wash with warm water and use a soft terry cloth if you feel you need a little more exfoliation- I did when I used ProActive.

For overnight treatments, I would use the refining mask- I love it. When you have a stubborn blemish, the BP spot treatment is wonderful.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

1. Are you meant to exfoliate when you have acne? I was told no as it can lead to hyperexfoliation and that's why I can't get microdermabrasion (although I've read it's done wonders for congestion/pores/pustules)

2. Yeah I guess that's why Proactive didn't work for me too, I think it's genetic for me as well.

3. I really DID like their refining clay mask which was AMAZING but they only bad thing about it was it hard perfume, has anyone noticed this? (Fragrance is a big nono for acne) and I find I can't use toner for a day after using the mask or it'll be weird... the smell and feeling.

1. Are you meant to exfoliate when you have acne? I was told no as it can lead to hyperexfoliation and that's why I can't get microdermabrasion (although I've read it's done wonders for congestion/pores/pustules)

2. Yeah I guess that's why Proactive didn't work for me too, I think it's genetic for me as well.

3. I really DID like their refining clay mask which was AMAZING but they only bad thing about it was it hard perfume, has anyone noticed this? (Fragrance is a big nono for acne) and I find I can't use toner for a day after using the mask or it'll be weird... the smell and feeling.

God, I fucking hate Proactiv's scent. Makes me want to vomit.

730-AM:

Shower for 15minutes

Hi,

I used proActive for about 2 months, and I liked it, but I quit using it for a short time, and got back on it for another month or 2, and it didn't seem to help any. I LOVED the mask, it was like the BEST thing ever. I haven't gotten any more lately, because the place where we got it quit selling the $20 one so..

Anyway, I washed my face in the shower with the cleanser

put on the toner and lotion ( in whatever order it said to )

then at night I slept with the mask on my face. Basically I used whatever order the slip inside the package said.. hih!

I agree, the only thing I liked about the proactiv range (I still can't get over how red it made me!) is the clay mask. It's about $35 in australia, which is pretty expensive in my opinion.

I really liked it because it promises to fade blemishes (not really) and suck up oil. Now when I use it, I tend to break out, don't know why. Maybe it's because the clay releases toxins to the surface?

I found a way better clay mask anyway.

730-AM:

Shower for 15minutes

I've been using proactiv on and off... but now I've been using it for two year, twice a day everyday......

It's working wonder. Your routine looks good.

You must watch your face with warm water. That's how I do it.

3 TIMES A DAY! STOP NOW! You are going to get so much acne from over drying. Do as the bottles say and don't over do it. I over did the refining mask and now I'm burnt. :naughty:

Hi,

I used proActive for about 2 months, and I liked it, but I quit using it for a short time, and got back on it for another month or 2, and it didn't seem to help any. I LOVED the mask, it was like the BEST thing ever. I haven't gotten any more lately, because the place where we got it quit selling the $20 one so..

Anyway, I washed my face in the shower with the cleanser

put on the toner and lotion ( in whatever order it said to )

then at night I slept with the mask on my face. Basically I used whatever order the slip inside the package said.. hih!

Hey I used the mask 2 days in a row and now I am burnt. I even smell burnt! What a joy. It clears up my zits but this is just week one.