Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mindwitch

WHY AM I STILL BREAKING OUT?!?

when i was younger even as a child i always had bumps on my face, as i got older[ teenager] i got pimples and while they were annoying they rarely were ridiculous unless i ate certain greasy or sweet foods. ever since i past the age of 19 my skin got worse...every single damn day my face had a new pimple, i used tons of over the counter stuff which seemed to make my skin worse i even resorted to pro active which did absolutely nothing for me except do some permanet damages to my skin.

i started reading online ways to save my skin frm this dreadful acne bug, i came across these pills called tetrycycline. i took them and for weeks even months my skin was clear, i was confident, getting numbers from boys at the club feeling and looking like a top model. but then i started getting pimples again, and at first it was one or two which i easily took care of but before i knew it the pills had no effect and i was back in acneville again.

i decided to go the healthy root, no longer would i eat chinese or pad on makeup or drink fake juices and pop's and pizza i was going to be healthy! i started drinking lots of water which helped a bit started eating eggs, brocolli brown rice and drinking juices like apple and cranberry from tropicana which i would dilute with water cause the juices were so sweet. i washed my face with aloe vera soap and moisturised it with a witch hazel vitamin e toner. i thought i was doing everything right....

but i was wrong. my skin simmered down a bit, but i still had breakouts. i would still get a pimple every day infact i'd be lucky if i had ONE day where my skin was completely clear.i just don't know what i'm doing wrong. i don't want to go back to harsh chemical treatments i just want to be able to leave my house for atleast a two days and not have to worry about another people bursting out of my face.

i'm so tired of this crap. i know there are others who have it worse than me but it still doesn't make the pain of this any less. its just awful when you try so hard to fix something and nothing happenes. maybe i'm doing something wrong? is my regimen not proper?

Edited by Mindwitch

It would be easier to read your story if you put it some paragraph breaks. I keep getting lost. :)

It would be easier to read your story if you put it some paragraph breaks. I keep getting lost. :)

Cmon man give her a break already, this isn't english class for crying out loud. I can read it fine.

Anywayz.....to the OP, i def know what you are going through as do a lot of others here in this forum can def relate to your frustration. I am going to see my doc this week again to talk to him about the retin A that was prescribed to me, guess i will be trying that next. I know i do not have it as bad either but probably like you, i am not comparing myself to others, i am comparing myself on how i use to be clear and acne free. Keep on searching for your cure and keep your chin up thats all you can do, never give up!!! Best of luck!!!

Dotty is a master of forum etiquette; I personally like the "massive paragraph every time" posting style. Anyway, you don't have it bad, you're right about that; I'm not going to dog you, but at least you don't get a 1-2 dozen a day, like I do. And at least you only have a couple spots; mine never heal. Anyway, diet and activity. Avoid plain fatty dairy like milk, butter (doesn't matter that it doesn't have the milk protein), ice cream, etc., and eat plenty of chlorophyll, whole grains, Zinc, Selenium, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, etc., and also avoid sexual activity... whenever I even get at all aroused I end up with a shining zit an hour later... it's quite consistent... I'm a hound though, so that's the reason I can't make it stop. Upper body exertion is also good; cardio is good theoretically but has never helped me. Hope this helps and you enjoyed the giant paragraph!

Mindwitch - Thank you :)

It is great that you have gotten on a healthier diet. That is ONLY step one. Now the next step is trying to find your triggers. For example, I found many proteins were my trigger. Another person's can be dairy products. Another can be gluten. Another can be citrus. It can take some patience trying each diet. Each one will take about 2 weeks.

Once you find the cause in your diet, you won't even have to use facial products. Your skin will naturally stay clear. Models who have perfect skin often admit that they don't even wash their faces! But natural facial products can help for the time being.

Begin by eliminating basic foods. Other than eggs, do you eat dairy?

Edited by Dotty1

i know what foods make me breakout and i stay away from them but i'm still getting pimples and i dont know why. the only dairy i eat are eggs. i no longer even eat chinese, or pizzapizza or any fried foods. i dont't even drink pop! i mostly drink water then for dinner i have chicken with some brown rice that has vegetables sweet potatoe and brocolli. yay i just looked in the mirror and noticed i have two lovely new pimples for tommorow morning....god i feel like killing myself.

It is great that you have gotten on a healthier diet. That is ONLY step one. Now the next step is trying to find your triggers. For example, I found many proteins were my trigger. Another person's can be dairy products. Another can be gluten. Another can be citrus. It can take some patience trying each diet. Each one will take about 2 weeks.

Once you find the cause in your diet, you won't even have to use facial products. Your skin will naturally stay clear. Models who have perfect skin often admit that they don't even wash their faces! But natural facial products can help for the time being.

If you are gonna try to find your allergies this is not a good idea. If you cut only 1 type of food, then say it was not your trigger, bring it back and add another, ... you might run into the situation that multiple foods are your trigger so you will never find it (since you are only trying one at a time). If you are gonna go this route try a hypoallergenic diet, eliminating all the possible foods that are known allergens and then, once you are clear or have seen enough improvements, bring foods back. You can read more about it here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...73#entry2356573

Hypoallergenic foods listed on whfoods.org are:

* Apples

* Sesame Seeds

* Lamb

* Pears

* Winter Squash

* Sweet Potatoes

* Cherries

* Carrots

* Rice

If you have time read: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

Edited by venam

Well, I was on a similar diet to you and was still breaking out. Last year, I learned that I proteins are my cause -- meat, dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds, soy, tofu, lentils and beans. If I steer clear of those foods, my skin is PERFECT. Another member tried my diet and said it cleared his skin. My post is still one of the current topics in the holistic forum, labeled: So, I'm still on my low-protein diet.

I've had blood tests and doctors say my protein levels are very good. I can get my protein from any other source (high-protein seaweed, pasta and veggies) but I CANNOT touch the aforementioned proteins.

It seems to me the only constant in your diet right now is meat and protein, so you could try the diet. It takes 8 days to see if if the infections go away and no new ones begin. If I eat meat, 10 hours later (exactly) I get infections all over my face.

You might look into it.

Edited by Dotty1

Hey, thank you for posting you are very knowledgeable Thread Poster.

I wanted to ask you a couple questions concering me.

I, too, am prone to severe acne and I just recently decided to stop anti-biotics and find my way through natural, holistic ways.

1) Is it a good idea to continue using my topical cream (atralin) or will it continue hyperpigmentation/ messed up skin in the long run? what short-term creams did you use to get you clear while on your diet?

2) Have you studied anything about the effects of smoking cigarettes / marijuana? I smoke marijuana regularly to relieve my stress, which I feel is a big factor of mine, but do you think it has any correlation physically?

I had some more questions but I'll get back to you on it. Please answer alta!

I am not sure if you were referring to me, but I shall try to answer some of your questions.

1) Using a topical cream is completely up to each individual user. However, I highly suggest you search Google for "Atralin Side Effects" and make an informed choice about using the cream. Usually, medical creams raise the risk of liver damage, skin aging, raising cancer risks and a million other side effects. One version of topical accutane caused me to vomit for 3 days straight. Every time I TOUCHED the cream, I began to vomit within the hour. I decided to use a more "safe" cream like Benzoyl Peroxide, but just recently learned that it ages skin.

I plan on using all natural products. I plan on consuming chlorophyll since doctor's use it to fight infections, etc.

2) I have not studied the health effects of cigarettes or marijuana and their relation to acne. I don't know about marijuana, but I KNOW that smoking cigarettes causes long term skin damage. 80% of the time, I can spot a smoker just by looking at their facial complexion on people who are more than 30 years old. Their skin lacks elasticity, it is dry and has a "dehydrated" look to it. There are premature wrinkles and the voice of the person is low. In the 1950's, movie stars with high, squeaky voices were frequently asked to take up smoking because it changed the pitch of the voice. After smoking for several years, their voices went from Minnie Mouse to that low, "sexy" voice that Hollywood craved in that era, example: Lauren Bacall.

Edited by Dotty1

If you are gonna try to find your allergies this is not a good idea. If you cut only 1 type of food, then say it was not your trigger, bring it back and add another, ... you might run into the situation that multiple foods are your trigger so you will never find it (since you are only trying one at a time). If you are gonna go this route try a hypoallergenic diet, eliminating all the possible foods that are known allergens and then, once you are clear or have seen enough improvements, bring foods back. You can read more about it here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...73#entry2356573

* Apples

* Sesame Seeds

* Lamb

* Pears

* Winter Squash

* Sweet Potatoes

* Cherries

* Carrots

* Rice

If you have time read: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

how the hell am i suppose to live off of eating only those? where will i get my energy from?

* Apples

* Sesame Seeds

* Lamb

* Pears

* Winter Squash

* Sweet Potatoes

* Cherries

* Carrots

* Rice

how the hell am i suppose to live off of eating only those? where will i get my energy from?

I am not entirely sure what you are talking about, rice + sweet potato + lamb meat is not enough energy for you? Eat more if you don't have energy (seriously, is there an "energy" food you take or something?)

lamb meat? you mean those innocent/adorable horse like animals?!?

and i alreasy eat, sweet potato and brown rice. ever damn day.

lamb meat? you mean those innocent/adorable horse like animals?!?

and i alreasy eat, sweet potato and brown rice. ever damn day.

Yep, really superficial.

I don't think you get the point of a hypoallergenic diet, is not about eating those foods "every damn day" but eating those and only those foods. Staying away from the other foods for a couple of weeks and see how you react.

ooooh, i see. i just went to the store and brought some brcollli pills and evening primrose oil pillls hopefully these things will help my acne. i really believe my acne is hormone related...when i was younger i had a blood test done and the doctor told me my hormone level was beyond the usual and since ifind that im always horny even after id already had sex tha its probably the case.

Mindwitch, you don't have to eat lamb if you don't want to. Just pick another healthy food instead :). I read the entire post about the broccoli pills and their effects appear to wear off after a few weeks, just like the supplment DIMM. But, hey, at least broccoli pills are nutritious :).

Edited by Dotty1

You guys are taking the nutrition aspect of acne way too far. Do the usual; i.e. avoid anything with milk and high glycemic load foods, and take zinc vitamins. That is enough. Beyond that diet restrictions will do nothing/extremely little for you. You cannot cure your acne with diet. Go for an actual treatment.

I personally suggest you should either take the Benzyol Peroxide or Vitamin B5 route (or both if you want). For the Benzyol Peroxide route, see Dan's regimen. For the Vitamin B5 route, see the stickied thread at the top of the nutrition subforum.

I personally suggest the Vitamin B5 route.

You guys are taking the nutrition aspect of acne way too far. Do the usual; i.e. avoid anything with milk and high glycemic load foods, and take zinc vitamins. That is enough. Beyond that diet restrictions will do nothing/extremely little for you. You cannot cure your acne with diet. Go for an actual treatment.

I personally suggest you should either take the Benzyol Peroxide or Vitamin B5 route (or both if you want). For the Benzyol Peroxide route, see Dan's regimen. For the Vitamin B5 route, see the stickied thread at the top of the nutrition subforum.

I personally suggest the Vitamin B5 route.

If you don't believe that any person can cure their acne via diet, you better not spend any more time in the Holistic forum. Go back to the medication forum. You really won't find most of the posts to your liking. ;).

Mindwitch, you don't have to eat lamb if you don't want to. Just pick another healthy food instead :). I read the entire post about the broccoli pills and their effects appear to wear off after a few weeks, just like the supplment DIMM. But, hey, at least broccoli pills are nutritious :).

ugh,that totallly sucks and i fully just bought an extremely expensive/ over priced bottle. oh well atleast illl have a few days of beauty.