Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tranquildream

Quitting bcp

I went off of Yasmin bcp over the summer for a break, and my sex drive came back but so did cystic acne.. Worse than I've ever had in my life :( I'm too scared to quit using it again due to the side effects. But I have zero libido and it's affecting my relationship. I already have bad scars left over from the breakout over the summer... Should I take the risk and switch to a different bcp? Or should I just stop taking yasmin and get over my fears? I've thought about taking some hormone balancing supplements when I get off them so I might not break out so badly again. Has anyone gotten off the pill before and managed to control the post break out?

heyy

sorry to here about your problem.. i had a similar problem

i never had acne in my life, and as a young teenager , i very rarely had a spot (maybe one or two little ones at a time)

however, at the age of 15 i went on the bcp.i decided to come off it a few months ago, and iv had acne ever since. im convinced the bcp caused my acne ( i am now 19)

i think that if the bcp is affecting u in some sort of way, and ur not happy with it, u should come off it as i did. however u could try changing to a different bcp, as this usually works for most people

I came off BCPs completely approximately 15 months ago. Funny you mention Yasmin, because that was the last one I took and it was so horrible for me that it made me quit BCP entirely. I was so moody on it and after crying over absolutely nothing, I realised I had to stop. I never had PMS in my life until I took that one. I have tried more than 7 different kinds of BCPs in the 10 years I took it. They all had some kind of (usually minor) side effect and I gradually lost my libido as well. The libido thing was probably the worst thing for me aside from acne.

Looking back, I think the best thing I did was quit BCP. I recommend immediately starting a herb called Vitex (Chasteberry) to take in place of it. It will help regulate your hormones and get your cycle back on track faster. It takes about 2 months to see results. Do a Google on this herb - there's lots of info out there on it. It can assist with acne but I personally don't think it helped me much in that regard... But I keep taking it because my periods are far more pleasant with it - lighter and less painful. I currently take 2000mg per day (2 tablets) but I started on 1000mg as advised on the bottle. Look for a pure formula with nothing else in it.

Expect your hormones to go a little nuts and remain that way for a good 12 months. Apparently this is how long it takes your body to expel the artificial hormones from BCP. Unfortunately my cystic hormonal acne came back with a vengeance after a couple of months. At its worst I was breaking out weekly with 1-2 large painful cysts. After trying a number of topicals (Retin A) and herbal supplements (e.g. Selenium, Saw Palmetto), I have had the most success with blue light therapy (I use Tanda) and I am now trialling a zinc supplement with good results so far.

My libido came back after only 2 months of not taking BCP. I feel like myself again, emotionally speaking so it has been well worth it. My BF is happy too!

I hope my story helps!

Edited by stargazer_Lily

Looking back, I think the best thing I did was quit BCP. I recommend immediately starting a herb called Vitex (Chasteberry) to take in place of it. It will help regulate your hormones and get your cycle back on track faster. It takes about 2 months to see results. Do a Google on this herb - there's lots of info out there on it. It can assist with acne but I personally don't think it helped me much in that regard... But I keep taking it because my periods are far more pleasant with it - lighter and less painful. I currently take 2000mg per day (2 tablets) but I started on 1000mg as advised on the bottle. Look for a pure formula with nothing else in it.

yes, vitex is a mircle in a bottle for me as well. not only did it help with my acne, but emotionally, i am in such a better place at "that time of the month", no more moodiness or depression. it also has helped with breast tenderness and bloating. i even have noticed that since taking vitex that the big O is even better. :clap:

i take a 1000mg liquid capsule each morning at about the same time. when i first started taking vitex, i was trying the Natures Ways capsules, 450mg, following their directions. they have you take two 450mg dosages for 12 weeks then cut back to 1 dosage. i found that on the lower dosage, it did not help and my symptoms stated to return. then i switched brands to Thompsons 1000mg dosage and it seems to have helped. i hear some women saying that vitex did not work for them, and i think that you need to try different brands and dosages to see what works best for you.

I came off BCPs completely approximately 15 months ago. Funny you mention Yasmin, because that was the last one I took and it was so horrible for me that it made me quit BCP entirely. I was so moody on it and after crying over absolutely nothing, I realised I had to stop. I never had PMS in my life until I took that one. I have tried more than 7 different kinds of BCPs in the 10 years I took it. They all had some kind of (usually minor) side effect and I gradually lost my libido as well. The libido thing was probably the worst thing for me aside from acne.

Expect your hormones to go a little nuts and remain that way for a good 12 months. Apparently this is how long it takes your body to expel the artificial hormones from BCP. Unfortunately my cystic hormonal acne came back with a vengeance after a couple of months. At its worst I was breaking out weekly with 1-2 large painful cysts. After trying a number of topicals (Retin A) and herbal supplements (e.g. Selenium, Saw Palmetto), I have had the most success with blue light therapy (I use Tanda) and I am now trialling a zinc supplement with good results so far.

My libido came back after only 2 months of not taking BCP. I feel like myself again, emotionally speaking so it has been well worth it. My BF is happy too!

I hope my story helps!

This is a really positive story and has helped me a lot because I am soo scared about coming off Yasmin. I am determined to find something that works which isn't a BCP. Thanks so much. x